Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Glad to be able to help :) in few days hopefully I can put up some photos of the 1200 Super Clip.

Is it tomorrow yet? :Banghead:
Go Get them Floyd!

dkota4103

thank you again. i will try to post some pics of the rifle.

dkota4103

hope brithunter can answer this. is the barrel free floating or not. i tried sliding a one dollar between the barrel an the stock and it will not fit. thank you.

Brithunter

The only P-H rifles that I am aware of that were free floated from the factory are:-

1200V (Heavy barreled varmint rifle)
1200TX ( Single Shot heavy barreled target rifle)
M85 (heavy barreled sniper rifle)

The std 1200 supers did not have a floated barrel so not being able to slide anything between the barrel and forestock is correct :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

dkota4103

what is a good bore cleaner for the parkers.

Brithunter

There are many good bore cleaners out there. I use Parker-Hale 009 and have done so since I started shooting. I also have some Hoppes 009 but have not used it for a long time as I started using the Forrest Foaming Bore cleaner to remove copper fouling.

I always clean the powder fouling out first with the P-H 009 then wipe it out and spray the foam in and leave it to work. I have found that standing the rifle muzzle down on a cloth helps keep the foam in contact at the muzzle othewise the foam disappears at the muzzle and does not remove the last bit of fouling.

See what cleaners the shooters in your area use and what you can get easily. I alos scrub the bore with bronze brushed dipped in the solvent, yes it does wear the brushes, but I would rathe replace the brushes every so often and get the bores clean.
Go Get them Floyd!

Blackjack

Hello SakoRick,
A very nice tool. The Parker/Hale history is complex and highly interesting. Typical though P/H was full of managers who had their heads up their rear ends and did not see the storm of asset stripping and recession coming. P/H's demise is a true tragedy. I have a friend who worked in the P/H stores and he was witness to catalogues, all sorts of paper/work, and thousands of gun & rifle parts including many wooden gun & rifle stocks being dumped into garbage skips!!!! during P/H's dying days. The P/H "Hussar" is a fabulous rifle, built on a Brno ZG 47 action [receiver]. Strange thing though out of all my P/H catalogues from 1939 to the early 1980's their is not one mention or picture of the P/H "Hussar"!

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike [The limey]

mattyj

Hi Everyone ,( I'm new to the forums ) I have been given a PH rifle in .243
I believe it is a PH 1100 Safari Deluxe and the action is an original Military Mauser 98 Action as it has the thumb slot and the stripper clip slot ( correct me if I'm wrong) I really want to find out more about this action if it was maybe a re-used war action ??

The rifle has an aftermarket barrel and has not been run in as yet . The action has been bedded and the rigger worked ( Also another point of interest is the trigger shape ) and Also the Bolt handle differs from other Parker Hales ( I have not seen one like this before ) If any PH experts can shed some more light regarding this rifle that would be great ....

mattyj

Here are a couple more photos :
Also is not clear in the photos but the stock has that bulge at the for end ( Schnabel )

gitano

Welcome mattyj - There will be some PH gurus around before long.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

mattyj

Yes that would be good if someone could have a look at the pics.
Does Brithunter still post here , he seems to be pretty clued up on Parker Hales

branxhunter

Interesting rifle there mattyj.

The schnabnel fore-end sounds like the one on my first PH .243, since sold:

[ATTACH]13062[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]13063[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]13064[/ATTACH]

Mine had the original two-stage trigger, and a similar safety as yours. It too was a Safari Deluxe. Yours seems to have a more modern shape around the cheekpiece, and has the Obernhorf-style floorplate latch. Mine had a floorplate but no latch to open it.

Marcus

mattyj

Yes , the floor plate is aftermarket aswel Im going to take the action out of the stock and take a few more photos to post

mattyj

I am thinking about getting a synthetic stock for this rifle , I had a look at a ramline one but dont like the finish of it . I know many people dont like the plastic stocks but this rifle will be used on a dirt bike so I want to keep the timber stock in good condition .
Also the barrel being 26" will get shortened . I will post some pics when I get it back from the smiths

Cheers

sakorick

Quote from: mattyj;122385I am thinking about getting a synthetic stock for this rifle , I had a look at a ramline one but dont like the finish of it . I know many people dont like the plastic stocks but this rifle will be used on a dirt bike so I want to keep the timber stock in good condition .
Also the barrel being 26" will get shortened . I will post some pics when I get it back from the smiths

Cheers

Don't buy a Ramline.....junk! Have you thought about a laminate? Boyds make some real nice one that are very close to drop in for Mauser actions. Here are pics of some of my customs.  Regards, Rick.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: