Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveb

Patients. My rifle is at my farm and im in the city till friday. Im getting anxious  as its really nice to see so many people interested in rifles especially the P-H as here where im from alot of guys tend to knock them down. even though i think it is one of the staights shooters iv come across!

Anyway ur comments are greatly appreciated

regards

gitano

Quote... its really nice to see so many people interested in rifles especially the P-H as here where im from alot of guys tend to knock them down.

Is that "knock down" P-Hs, or rifles in general?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Steveb

Alot of people tend to think of them as inferior -especially the midlands version.

sakorick

Quote from: Steveb;82590Alot of people tend to think of them as inferior -especially the midlands version.

Well, actually they are inferior.....nice rifles but far far removed from a Sako at the same price. The really nice PH's IMHO were the late 60's Supers with the gold trigger. They started downhill soon there after. Parker Hale just couldn't compete with Sako, Weatherby and Browning try as they might. Regards, Rick.

Sidebar: This thread really needs to be stickied.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Steveb

You wont believe it but i took the photos and forgot the camera behind! Anyway after a long chat with my old man last week he said the rifle was a model 1200. Anyway i had a look again and all i can come up with is Safari deluxe on receiver, parker hale ltd birmingham on barrel and the number G ***( 3 digits)M near receiver.There is no number stating model that i can find.Will try get the pics on this week.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Ahhh the 1200 Super had the Gold plated triggers right up to the end as my 7.92mm one does. Now if this has Super Safari on the side of the action I do not believe it's a 1200 Super. The Safari was another model but this is not set in stone. Finding out the truth is difficult in the murky waters that was the Parker-Hale model line up. We need some catalogues for the 1960s and then later 1970's and then later still for the early 1980's

The Midland was a more budget model aimed at the budget minded, the barrels are the same as the p-H line up it was the stocking with plainer Walnut and a different action.

Now some of the Parker-Hales that I have seen and handled are equal to the Sako's I have seen, sorry Rick :( , but P-H did suffer quality dips several times usually when a take over was happening it seems. The quality of my 1200V and the 1100 Deluxe is very good indeed.

I was unlucky to see a poorly maintained P-H when first looking at them and so put off and for some reason the BSA line grabbed my attention :smiley: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Steveb

It has no super safari on the reciever, just safari deluxe and a normal double pull blued trigger( no gold trigger).

Steveb

Ive finally got some pics and hope someone can identify my P-H.

Thanks

sakorick

Hello Steve. It looks to be one of the older versions and it's obviously a Mauser action with the original saftey. Probably one of the K98 German Mausers Parker Hale acquired back in the 50's and sporterized. If you take it apart and take some close up pictures of the markings on the underside of the action we can guess the approximate year. What is the serial number and is there an import mark on the barrel? The early ones were imported by Jana, Denver, Colo. Caliber? Nice rifle. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Steveb

Thanks. Dont think il be taking it apart soon but just really wanted to know where the rifle fitted in(year wise). Other than p-h birmingham, england on the barrel there is 243 win stamped on top of the barrel chamber. The serial number is G ***M cant remeber exactly but it is like 867 or somthing like that. I actually came across a pic of a P-H for sale in australia which also has the serial number G***M. It looks very similar as well.

Thanks for your thoughts

Brithunter

Hi All,

I would say it's an early 1960's Safari, it has a Safari Standard stock according to the Cat #67 but is marked Safari De Luxe? By 1966 the De Lux had a Snobble Fore end and an adjustable single stage trigger with hinged floor plate magazine. Yours has the std Mauser floor plate and trigger by the looks of it features which by 1966 were those of the Safari Standard rifle.

Reading the front of the #67 catalogue I discovered that P-H moved to new works in Sparkbrook in 1963 and I quote:-

QuoteIn 1963, Paker-Hale moved to their streamlined new headquarters at Sparkbrook, a suburb of Birmingham, where a major aspect of production at the new factory has been Parker-Hale's own phenominally successful range of "Safari" Mauser Sporting Rifles developed from re-building and conversion of military rifles to sporting pattern.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

It would appear to me at least that Parker-Hale were only really getting into sporting rifle production in 1963, before this they were mainly converting Military rifles so those early rifles had German (most likely) actions with new P-H made barrels the catalogue shows a new CFM vertical rifling machine. By 1973 the production quantities had outstripped this production capabilty and a newly British built horizontal hammer forging machine was built and installed to add to the capacity of the CFM machine.

Let's hope I am successful in obtaining catalogue No 68 as it might add a bit more to the knowledge of P-H models. keep an eye out for earlier 1960's catalogues a 63 one would be very useful as would a 1970 and a 1978 or there abouts :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Here is another Parker Hale 1200P 30-06 that I just acquired. Made in 1974. The previous owner had the receiver, bolt, trigger guard, floor plate, scope mounts and rings electrollosis nickled. The barrel has been bead blast blued and magnaported. The bolt handle replaced with one that fits closer to the stock allowing more room near the scope when open.
I don't think many of you would modify a rifle like this but I am interested in your thoughts anyway. I have an original 1200P already and although I wouldn't modify one as they seem to be kind of rare this one is done and I do like it.
Mat

R70Mach1

Big Banger,  I like the look.  I also have a presentation grade and you are right, I probably will never do this.  But I kind of like the look. The detail stands out more. Nice purchase!  I just sold my first Parker Hale. I have never sold one of out of my collection before, but a friend was going to purchase a cheap $280 Marlin with a synthetic stock from Bass Pro Shop and I couldn't let him do it. So I sold him a 30-06 with a Simmons scope on it. He was cradling it like a baby when he left.  I just love these rifles.

Big Banger

I find it hard to part with them too but there is nothing wrong with steering a buddy in the right direction. Now if he really likes that 30-06 he will probably tell you about every PH rifle he finds :biggthumpup:.
Mat

Brithunter

Hmmm looking at it my thoughts are that the bolt handle has been quite heavily altered or even changed as it does not look like any I have or seen in the P-H catalogues. Not sure on the look  :undecided:  need more time to think on that.

However it's in very nice condition :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: