The Unsung Candle

Started by Stryker, December 14, 2005, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker

When I go out into the woods, I always take my firestarting kit. This past weekend while I was out the temperture dropped and about 11:00 I decided to make a small fire, to warm up,  and eat some lunch. With my flint and steel I was able to get my tinder to ignite, but it was very dry and burning so fast I couldn't get the small twigs to ignite. Then I remembered the candle I had placed in the kit some years earlier but never had to use. The tinder burned long enough to get the candle lit, then using the candle I was able to apply flame to my wood long enough for it to catch. Without that candle, I would not have had the luxury of a fire to warm up to and heat a cup of tea. If this had been an emergency situation, such as falling in the ice covered creek,  that piece of string and wax would have saved my bacon. I know it's been in my kit for at least 5 years, but this weekend was the first time I had to use it. Needless to say it will now be part of my pre-check list to make sure I have a candle in my fire kit.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Tags: