2017 Deer hunt diary

Started by sakorick, November 07, 2017, 03:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Makes up for being skunked last year, soooper job!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Got home with my 50 lbs of deer meat, and put it in my 'freezer'.... My back porch. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fire717

How close over/under were you on weight? I forgot to ask dad how much you thought you had to leave behind.

gitano

The airlines scale said 46 lb. So if the other scale was correct, I left 39 lb in MO. However, as told your dad, there was no heartburn on my part by that. I had a great time and you and your dad treated me better than any guide ever did! No regrets on my part I assure you. It isn't like I had to throw it away! It will go to good use!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

A hearty "Well Done" guys. Smiles all around and a mug of A&W's finest for the Eric!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

sakorick

I just finished the burger with "HOSS" and cleaned everything up. The only deer we lost any meat on was Evans Button Buck. The exit front shoulder was totaled and the entrance shoulder was damaged. Amazing the power of a .243. I am bushed, however, Eric and Paul left me some "aiming oil" which I will attack tonight! I processed 3 deer in a day and a half and had to purchase a 2d freezer. I'll call the mission complete.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

JaDub

You deserve a finger or two of Lead Slingers !!   Good on ya.

gitano

Got most of the rat killin' needed after being away from home for 3 weeks taken care of, and was able to get to taking care of the meat that made it home with me.

Here's a plate of backstrap and tenderloin roasts. (You can't see the tenderloins.)

As usual, there were some "trimmings": Pieces too small to be included in the with the 'big' pieces of backstrap and tenderloins, but too small to throw away. (I don't toss much.) My wife made stew with the 'pieces'. It was REALLY good. Actually much better than I expected.

It's difficult to get people to hang game meat as long as it really needs to be hung. It makes such a REALLY BIG difference, both to taste and tenderness. You can lead a horse to water...

My deer hung from Saturday evening about 1830 to Tuesday morning at about 1000. That's about 64 hours at an ambient temperature of about 40 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Then it was in a box unfrozen until Thursday about 0600 as I traveled from MO to AK, adding about another 24h, making the total "hang" about 88 hours. It then stayed frozen until this afternoon. I would have let it HANG for a full 5 days (120h) if I had had the luxury. Nevertheless, the meat is VERY tasty and VERY tender after only ~88 hours of "hanging".

I'm really looking forward to the rib-eye/prime rib (different parts of the backstrap) steaks!

Paul

PS - It occurs to me that someone might construe that the "lead a horse to water" comment above referred to Rick and or Eric. Couldn't be further from the truth. Both those gentlemen know how to age their game properly. In my opinion.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fire717

Recoil...Evan can have the top shelf A&W... I'll stick to a good bourbon or stout!!

gitano

Quote from: fire717;149532Recoil...Evan can have the top shelf A&W... I'll stick to a good bourbon or stout!!

:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fire717

Had to have a some of the back straps from Evan's buck tonight. Along with roasted red and yellow potatoes and green beans, we ate well.

fire717

gitano

Quote from: fire717;149540Had to have a some of the back straps from Evan's buck tonight. Along with roasted red and yellow potatoes and green beans, we ate well.
Almost EXACTLY what we had for dinner tonight!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Looks great! Guess what's for supper here tonight?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: