My Experience and technique hunting Coyotes

Started by Dr4Body, September 28, 2015, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Well DR I never thought about animals other than coyote s and dogs coming to the call. That could get a bit hairy!  Please do tell.

Dr4Body

Our dogs are in the 35 to 40 lb. class, I killed one a year ago the was maybe 45lbs.  large for this area.  My 87 gr. V-Max bullets will blow up inside if they hit bone.  Sometimes there isn't an exit wound.  You should always carry...if I lived up there I would perhaps.  I want a wolf...I would gladly rent a room a motel room, Loft ....whatever to kill a wolf.

gitano

Speaking of "coming to the call"... When I was a kid hunting/calling coyotes with my uncle Coy, we always had more owls come to the call than we did coyotes. Not that we didn't have coyotes, just more owls. Once up here, I had an owl just about take my head off. I'd been shooting snowshoe hares all day and was finished up at dusk. I thought I'd sit down and give a few toots on my "squealing rabbit" mouth-call. I don't think I had been sitting there for more than 5 minutes when, as I was squealing, a great horned swooped down and struck! It was a very good thing I had a large, felt hat on. We both tumbled, and the owl made no 'hasty retreat'. He lay on the ground clutching my hat and looking at me with mouth agape. When I went for my hat, he took off. Owls are dumb as a box of rocks, and it isn't just this instance that causes me to say that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Dr4Body

Once while whistling for my hunting partner, I had the same experience, but I used my 45 cal. 1911, he kept coming back diving on me.  Finally the AAA got him to leave.

farmboy

Getting any coyote s in the last while. I think I dryed up my local supply lol. The sheep and goats look relieved!

farmboy

I took a poke at one today came close but he will live another day. He was over a third of a mile away.

Dr4Body

Just returned from a three day trip...In response to your post...there are always dogs here.  I saw 8 last week, four in one group and 30 minutes later four in another group.  Wasn't ready for them either time...I need to cary my shotgun this time of year...had one so close I could have beat him with the rifle...but the minute he smelled me he was in the high sage brush and I couldn't make a shot...I don't like educating them, if I miss.

farmboy

Yes it really different here wide open flat farmland bow that harvest is done except for me there is very little for them to hide behind they just run.

farmboy

One of my tenant s is from northern Saskatchewan we were telling hunting stories and he told me his uncle was having major coyote problems. The house was twenty yards from the Bush. He was losing pigs calves a horse to coyote s the horse was a partly grown colt. The coyote s were coming into the yards every night. He wired up some spotlights on the outside of his house. When he heard the coyote s he opened up his bedroom window turned on the light and shot them with a twelve gauge. First month 184 coyote s first year 584 coyote s all out the window. He said this year not many. He was worried about his small children as there were so many around. He got twenty dollars a piece for bounty money. Turn in the feet. Wild story but I believe him.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: