Ponsness warren

Started by farmboy, March 26, 2016, 09:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

QuoteIt's an absolute HOOT with 457124's at 1380 fps, just like the originals.
The 1380 f/s MV is the key term in that sentence. That is a "shoot all day" load. Run that same bullet up to 2200 f/s like in modern .45-70 gov'ts, and it's quite unpleasant to shoot at over 4100 ft-lbs at the muzzle. The 457124 Lyman is a 385-grain bullet if I remember correctly. At 1380 f/s it only generates about 1650 ft-lbs of energy (recoil). In comparison, an '06 with a 180-grain bullet doing 2800 f/s generates over 3100 ft-lbs of energy (recoil).

Two friends of mine owned Marlin "Guide Guns" each chambered in .45-70 gov't. When I found out they were paying $80 a box for factory ammo, :eek: I offered to reload for both of them. Neither took me up on my offer. One of them died and I got his rifle, the other shot about 5 rounds out of a box of 20 and sold the gun, saying "It was too punishing." I have no sympathy. The friend who died left more than half a box of the ONLY box of ammo he ever bought for the rifle, and he had the rifle for 10 years.

I look forward to visiting and shooting, RJ.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Even loaded up are they a big push or a sharp kick?

gitano

The Guide Gun is very ugly in recoil.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Most traditional lever guns the butt is narrow.

farmboy

The one of those I always thought that I might want one day was a 444. No reason to ever own one so not really interested  in any serious way.

Tags: