Better, Cheaper, Faster?

Started by gitano, April 10, 2014, 08:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Here's a new manufacturer of 80% lower receivers:

http://www.jamesmadisontactical.com/polymer-80percent-ar15-lower-receiver/

These are $10 more than the aluminum (or aluminium if you use English instead of American :)), ones I got from Tactical Machine. BUT... these COME WITH the jig. If I remember correctly, the TM jigs were at last $100. Total cost with shipping of the JMT 80% lowers is $114.95.

If you read the instructions, they emphasize the importance of NOT 'dry-firing' the lower without an upper attached. The reason is that the hammer will strike the front wall of the polymer/composite receiver, and break it. With a COMPLETE upper attached, the hammer strikes the firing pin. There are other 'things' pointed out in the instructions, but this is a VERY important one. In my opinion, it is a critical difference between a metal lower and a non-metal lower. Of course there are "pros" to the composite/polymer lower. I'll leave it to 'you' to determine what "pros and cons" mean to you.

Paul

PS - So could I send one of these to you Aussies as a paper-weight? :grin:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;131947PS - So could I send one of these to you Aussies as a paper-weight? :grin:

Paul

:sweatdrop: Even as a paper weight we will end up as a guest in Her Majesties Hotel.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Well, there's always one waiting. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

With AR 15s in Walmart and being there for as long as a month without being sold and at a price of $499, and with the cost of all the other stuff needed to make things go bang I really do not see any reason for an 80% receiver, regardless of the material.
Seems the chicken little panic on at least ARs is about over.
Now to see some daylight on the powder and .22rf fronts.

:angry:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

AR-15s - at least the 'garden variety' kind, have come down here in AK as well, but it's difficult to find one for less than $700 over-the-counter. It's difficult to build one for much less than that, BUT... Making one for oneself is 'worth' somthing, and MOST importantly to me, the receiver is 'smooth'. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

And in what way is the receiver smoother than others?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Hah, Paul being obtuse has gotcha Don...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

drinksgin (deceased)

That was a serious question, not baiting.
I really would like to know.

:angel:

gitano

Everyone knows carbon fiber is 'smoother' than aluminum. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Ares Defense is due to release the "SCR" "lower" soon.  The "Sport Configurable Rifle."
It looks like a traditional/conventional rifle, but takes AR uppers, and is 50-state legal, due to the absence of the "tactical" features of the existing AR lower.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6elD6aVw6JE

Not that it will be acceptable in OZ, or the U.K, as it's still a self loading rifle with an AR upper.

I have wondered for years why someone didn't do this.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Quote from: Jamie.270;131986I have wondered for years why someone didn't do this.

ME TOO! Ever since I started playing with the AR platform and realized it's extraordinary versatility.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Tactical Machine - the place I bought my first 80% AR-15 lowers - is having a sale on 80% receivers - $59 plus shipping 'til Easter.

They're also starting to sell 1911 80% receivers. http://www.tacticalmachining.com/tm-1911-frame-80-percent-new.html?id=em001&utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=9ed5254398-Easter_80_Sale_20144_13_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2041207f9c-9ed5254398-169517641

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: 22hornet;131954:sweatdrop: Even as a paper weight we will end up as a guest in Her Majesties Hotel.

Thanks for the offer Paul, but yeah as Scott said, we don't need to attract any additional attention to us LAFO's here in Oz
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

I know Jorge. Just wanted y'all to know we're thinkin' about ya.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: