The Better Single Action Revolver?

Started by Chris Ott, January 01, 2010, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the better Singe Action Revolver?

uger Blackhawk/New style
9 (52.9%)
olt SAA
2 (11.8%)
uger Blackhawk/Old style
6 (35.3%)
harter Arms
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Chris Ott

Of all the single action revolvers made, Which do you believe is better and why? This is just a small list. I would like to hear opinions about others also.

Daryl (deceased)

To decide which is "better", you'll need to first find out what the user's preferences and needs are.

Freedom Armz probably makes the "best" SA revolver.  They're nice guns; accurate, with tight tollerances, and about as strong as any firearm made.

But I have a hard time paying that much for one of them, so I like the Ruger new models.  I'm not a traditionalist with SA revolvers, so the OM's don't make much difference to me like they would a collector.  I think of a NM Ruger as a "starting place", because I've seldom found one that was exactly what I wanted as is from the factory.

Colt makes a nice SA revolver; so does USFA, but I'm not so much interested in nice bluing and a smooth action as I am into stength and utility.

All of my SA revolvers have "Ruger" on them.  They fit my needs pretty well without being so expensive that they're hard to afford for most shooters.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Chris Ott

I agree with you Daryl that they are more affordable. They also some in a wide var. of cal. and barrel lengths for any hunting or plinking application. I was raised with Rugers and enjoy working loads up and shooting them. Thoy fit my hand well even in the larger ca. such as the 44 mag. That one is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with a leupold scope. Even with a 7.5 inch bbl and the scope I can still shoot it with out to much discomfort while standing up

Daryl (deceased)

Chris,

Here's one of mine that shows a few changes I did.

It's an original Vaquero (I like fixed sights) chambered in .45 Colt, so first I filed the front sight and turned the barrel a bit to bring the POI to the POA. Turning the barrel also tightened the cylinder gap to .002. I installed Wolff springs, bead blasted the finish, and polished the action. I finally got around to making the grips from a chunk of mesquite stump from the wood pile, and put a Tru-Oil finish on them. The grips are oversized to help with recoil, and sanded to fit my hand so that the revolver points/aims naturally.

Loaded with "Ruger only" level loads (300 gr JSP @ 1200 fps or so) it's a favorite of mine for woods bummin'. It's been shot and carried a good bit, but it hasn't hurt it any.

;)

Daryl

A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Alboy

My first center fire revolver was a bought in 1971; Ruger SA in .357/38spc with 6 1/2" barrel. It is still my go to hunting and plinking revolver. I could not even guess how many rounds I have pushed through it but have well over 1000 rounds of brass for reloading and some of that is 30 years old or more. There were years that I averaged 500 rounds a week, a lot of years.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Currently I am also liking what I see from TAURUS in revolvers. I have a 44spl that is on loan to my daughter for her carry gun and want to pick a one of the 45/410 revolvers they are bringing on the market now.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

For my everyday carry right now I am using a ROSSI in 38spl
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I'll watch this thread with intertest. I'm too ignorant of the sugject to vote.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

IMO, nobody can come close to Ruger's toughness in either single OR double action.  I really like the way the old three screw Rugers felt, but the transfer bar system is mush safer so I voted for the new model Blackhawk/SingleSix.

If yuh got big mitts like mine, :clown:  I hold my pinky underneath the grip, recoil is much more manageable that way. Showed that to my brother-in-law who has a 5" SBH in 44 mag. He does much better now even though he holds it with the wrong hand :p

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Chris Ott

The single action was vitualy reserected because Ruger came out with the 357 in the flat top version, if I remember correctly. The Blackhawk are a tough gun and most can handle +P+ loads that the colt cannot. I know othe makes can handle those loads but thier price is far higher than that of the Ruger and also the convertables that Ruger produces gives you the opportunity to have 2 or 3 guns in 1. Which os a benefit when plinking to get used to the revolver and then moving up to the larger cal. Plus they are easy to handle.

LvrLover

I own 3 Ruger revolvers. My 44 Super Blackhawk and 2 Single Sixes, one long barreled and one standard. I love them all. I've never fired an old model Ruger or a Charter Arms. Colts have a slightly smaller frame I believe, but I could be wrong. As far as I am concerned the Ruger is the best "bang" for the buck, but they are not finished as well as the nicer Colts I have seen.
     One other you might like to try is the 1875 Remington. A few places make them and to my hand they "feel" better than the Colt or the Ruger. I haven't bought one yet cause they are a bit pricey for me, but I do have the cap and ball predecessor with the same frame and it is a joy to shoot.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

buckshot roberts

:grin: Ruger's are great SSA's.........the last one I had was in .41 mag.......... to me they were two other realy great SSA's, out
they were the Hawes brand.....I had a western marshall in 357, and another that was in .44 mag, and  The Great Western brand I hand one in .38 sp......man I wish I still had eaither one of them......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Noyb72

I own two Ruger SAAs. I prefer the action of my old, not updated, 3 screw .357. It just seems proper to have the gun click 4 times when you pull back the hammer (funny, that's how the SAAs work, too.)

Ron

JaDub

I`m a bit of a newby on SAs but I have to say I really like my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 w 4 5/8 barrel. Much to RJ`s dislike (:eek:) I put a Houge grip on it and now I REALLY like it.

bobcat444

My favorite was the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 357 MAX.  ;)
NO! Just kidding. Had one but not a pleasure to shoot.
Had a New Model Blackhawk .357 as a kid. Average. Got stolen!
Used to shoot with a friend that had an Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag.
IT and HE were "shooters".  Other than .22's that's all the experience I believe I have with Singles.

Tags: