Standard Cartridge Series - .270 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 28, 2004, 08:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This cartridge really needs no introduction and it would not surprise me if it was amongst the most owned cartridges in the U.S.

Daryl (deceased)

I had one many years ago in a Remington 700 BDL.  I only hunted deer with it once, but did manage to get one.

Great cartridge!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

swede

The 270 is my main hunting rifle.I have taken moose,elk and deer with it.I only shoot 150 grain bullets for everything i hunt.

CAfrica

This rifle is also very popular in SA.  Personally I have always found the limited range of bullets for this very popular cartridge strange.  Usually it is loaded only in 130 and 150gr. Compare it to the available 6.5 bullets which range from 85gr to 160gr even though the 6.5's seem to be a lot less common.

The 270 is a true 7mm (the 7mm calibres have 7.2mm bullets).

C

Jay Edward (deceased)

OK...I'll throw up a comparison chart of sorts in a new thread.

swede

Jay you are right the 7mm and the 270 have  just about the same trajectry. The 270 has just a little less but not much.

Hunterbug

My first centerfire rifle was a Savage 110 in 270. I killed my first deer and my first antelope with it. When I was young and foolish I traded it for a double barrel 12ga which I also no longer own. My Grandfather used one for many years in a Pre '64 Model 70 to take everything from coyotes to elk. He gave it to my cousin that doesn't hunt and it sits in his closet. :mad:
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Shotgunhemi

Jay, do you have one of these Standard Cartridge Series thingys for the .30.06 sprg?
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: ShotgunhemiJay, do you have one of these Standard Cartridge Series thingys for the .30.06 sprg?
Yes I do...we lost the original database and we're trying to re-build it.  I'm re-posting all the cartridges in order.  This will go on all through the winter and should make for some interesting reading and discussion.  But I'll get to it SGH...I promise.

Shotgunhemi

Cool. Looking foward to it. I find your posts very informative and interesting. Good stuff:)
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well the first sporting rifle I ever brought, in fact the first rifle I ever brought was and is a 270 Winchester. The rifle is a BSA CF2 Stutzen (full stocked) which I still have, and the 270 Win has been my unluckest cartridge:confused:  despite being the first it's the one I have not shot anything live with:mad:  I just never seem to get the right shot opertunity when I am carrying the 270's I now have two of them, both BSA's the other is an older Majestic Featherweight Delux.

Like for instance, I am walking through the small wood, it's just getting light and as I pass the large Holly bush, I hear the sound of large animals moving through the floor litter in the wood. so I stop and wait sure enough about 35 yards away a Fallow Doe pops out onto the track behind me, I look at her throught her scope she looks at me and snorts and stamps. An easy shot for sure.................... But!............... Fallow Does are not ins season AND directly behind her some 150 yards back through the brush is the neighbours Bungalow. A definate no-shoot situation on two counts. And that's the way its' been with the 270's plenty of Beasties have been lined up on, but they are always in the wrong place for a safe shot of out of season or the wrong beast. I don't seem to have this problem with other cartridges.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

The very first firearm I bought with money I personaly earned was a brand new 1963 Winchester in .270. Both saint O'Connor and my older bother said it was "the best" cartridge. Who was I to argue with two such experts. I shot several moose and sheep using 150 grain handloads from the old manual Lee Loader. Had that rifle and a Mossberg Model 85 .410 (the gun with which I learned to wingshoot - dove) stolen from me. Never replaced either. I'd probably replace the Model 85 first.

The .270 is only a .30-06 in .277 clothing. As such, it recoils evey bit as much as an '06 shooting a bullet of equal weight. Few rifles I have owned recoil as much as that .270 did. Furthermore, my attitude toward Jack O'Connor and his opinion has changed. He influences my firearms decisions in a different direction these days. Kinda wish I still had that .270, but only for nostalgia's sake.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Quote from: gitanoThe .270 is only a .30-06 in .277 clothing. As such, it recoils evey bit as much as an '06 shooting a bullet of equal weight. Few rifles I have owned recoil as much as that .270 did. Furthermore, my attitude toward Jack O'Connor and his opinion has changed. He influences my firearms decisions in a different direction these days. Paul
That's pretty strong feeling towards Jack O'Connor. Which other experiences, apart from the .270, brought you to this opinion?
Can you give some examples of where you went the other way compared to O'Connor?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Don't really wanna get into a spittin' contest over favorite "outdoor writers'.

On the 'front end' Jack O'Connor and I were at the same place at the same time. He was VERY popular in the 50's and most of us, particularly us young ones were easily influenced. He influenced my brother, and my brother influenced me to be influenced by Jack O'Connor.

On the "back side", because I "liked" Jack O'Connor, ("like" meaning I did NOT review his comments with a critical eye), I read everything I could get my hands on not only BY him but also ABOUT him. The more I read about him, the less I liked him. The less I "liked" him the more objectively I reviewed his work. The more objectively I reviewed his work, the less I liked him....

He is not "the worst outdoor writer of all time", but he is, in my opinion, certainly among the dregs. All of this only my opinionof course.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

NUMBERFARMER

I don't know anything about Jack O'Connor or for that matter who he is, but I do know that the 270 win has been a fine firearm for all uses in my part of the country.  It is a pretty darn good varmint rifle, great on coyotes, deer, antelope, and elk.  It has good velocity and offers a lot in the flat trajectory department.  Mine likes H4831   and 140 or 150 grain bullets.  I only wish I could still find some of the heavier 270 bullets that used to be available.  It is no miracle cartiridge, but the improvements offered by newer cartridges aren't all that great.  The 06 case seems to still be competitive at whatever caliber you would like to size it to.

Tags: