Traditional Bowhunting

Started by 12 gauge, February 19, 2014, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12 gauge

Hey everyone, just last year I started getting into the realm of traditional archery. After shooting my compound bow extensively for the last 11 years I decided to try something a little different and more challenging thus went traditional. I am now shooting a 64" Carpathian Traditional Archery (CTA) Redstag Longbow 57# @ 28" draw.

And I've got to say I have not touched my compound since! I started out shooting carbon shafts but now have ventured into the craftsmanship and traditional feel of wooden arrows. Made my second dozen batch a week ago along with a self-made B-50 Flemish Splice string, and am very happy with the results. Now with all this snow I am looking for a great day to shoot them and I am anxious to use them this hunting season.

So who all shoots traditional? and have you had any luck hunting?

BTW: I am on our desktop, I'll have to get onto my laptop in order to post some pictures (I have all my pictures on my laptop)
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

12 gauge

Ok here are some pictures:

And the arrows:

Marble dip crown un-fletched

and Fletched with Yellow-Barred and black 5" feathers

gitano

You've come a long way since you showed up here at THL, 12-gauge.

Nice outfit. I shot recurves until my shoulder wouldn't allow it any more. Probably wouldn't be able to draw a long bow with sufficient draw weight to meet legal requirements for big game.

Jay Edwards would be grinning from ear to ear to hear of this.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

12 gauge

It's amazing how time flies, my only regret was that I wasn't on here  enough. But now that College is done and my life is a little more in  line I am now a little more relaxed and can focus more on enjoying my  time; that and finding a job lol. Dad has taken up hobbies in reloading,  restoring cars and gun collecting so I wanted a good hobby for myself  and so I now am into Trad archery and lead lure/sinker making. I really  enjoy making and using things in my passion for the outdoors, I've  already caught bass using some lures and sinkers i've made, I am now  looking forward to taking my first trad deer with the arrows I made! :indian_chief:

I am sorry to hear that, dad had to  switch to a crossbow because his eyes are terrible and he can't see the  sights anymore. I've been shooting at a club about an hour and a half  away dedicated to traditional archery and I've met some great guys to  help my journey into the realm of trad archery, one guy actually makes  his own bows (self-bows) and instructed me and another fella on how he  does it. Now it's just personal experience, I've got a few hickory  staves cut and they should be seasoned come next year, maybe by fall of  2015 I shall take a game animal with not only a string and arrow I made  but a bow I made as well!

I will certainly share everything with the board!

Jorge in Oz

Nice bow and arrows 12 gauge. I'm just looking around for a recurve bow at the moment. I have a mate that is a keen bowhunter that wants me to give it a try. Been practising with my 6 year old son in the backyards. He trumps his dad as I think he has a better eye than his dad.

Let us know if you get some game with it.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

12 gauge

Thanks Jorge,

I've been at it for about 2 years now and getting better. Last year I had no luck with it, nothing ever did come close enough but hopefully this year I will have a chance, and I will surely share the moment!

It's so great to see folks getting youth involved, I've been shooting with my 12 year old nephew and he loves his little recurve we bought him for his birthday.

Tags: