Meet Sweetie

Started by Alboy, November 30, 2009, 07:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

We were riding the motorcycles  on a short run Saturday when MY LOVE spotted her hiding in a ditch on the side of the road. Kim stopped and called her and she immediately adopted us.

Vet check has heart worms and intestinal worms but other than that good physical health except for malnutrition. She is 32 pounds now and 3-4 years old on best guess. We are going to shoot for 40-45. We are medicating for the intestinal worms and fleas now and will start on the heart problems after she gains weight and comes out of stress some. Later on we will have her spade also.

Sweetie has been eating well with a preference for dry food, does not seem to care for canned at all. Real sweet disposition so far with maybe too much interest in cats although I am not sure if that is as a snack treat or meet and greet. Time will tell.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

She's a pretty dog. Surprizing to see the coat look so good when she's clearly mal-nourished.

Aren't we bigger and bigger 'suckers' the older we get?

Good on ya.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

Quote from: Alboy;100071she immediately adopted us.

Funny how they do that!!, met our dog the same way, that was eighteen months ago and she ain't going nowhere.:sweetheart:

Alboy

Quote from: gitano;100089She's a pretty dog. Surprizing to see the coat look so good when she's clearly mal-nourished.

Aren't we bigger and bigger 'suckers' the older we get?

Good on ya.

Paul

Yep and it is more fun, there was a day I would have put her out of both our miseries on the spot. I think I am going to like this solution better.:COOLdude:

Another angle, I am going to try and update weekly until she has reached her target weight.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Hmmm whilst not quite the same, but I took both my dogs on, J-D the Staffordshire was 3 1/2 and had been badly mistreated and beaten, he had no muscle and weighed 38lbs. I put him on the minimum food for his weight and walked him and he gained 2lbs in one week he now weighs 50lbs but is showing his age now.

Nibbs came to us at 10 months old and again was being mistreated, not beaten this time just neglected, once he started eatign you could almost see him grow. he is coming up 4 Yrs old now.

Tell Sweetie Woof from J-D and Nibbs :kiss:
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Quotethere was a day I would have put her out of both our miseries on the spot.
Yup... You and me both.

Paul[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

All the best with Sweetie she's a cute dog. A touch of the barrio dog (a bit skinny) about her but I'm sure she'll fatten up nicely.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Alboy

Well it is about a week later. I won't bore you with what we have picked up at the vet, pet shop and walmart for the little lady. She is spoiled with out a doupt.:MOGRIN: :sweetheart:

I had been, I thought, very careful of letting her range off the leash or ouit of the back yard. Fear for the cats was one reason and the thought she may take off was another.:sweatdrop:

Sunday I let her into the back yard as it was drissally rain and I did not want to do a leash walk. My Love comes screming at me less than five minutes later on why is Sweetie in the front yard alone. She found a hole. Yet was sitting on the front sidewalk looking around, not chasing cats and with no apparent desire for wander lust.:angel:

Anyway here is the promissed update photo. It is harder to see her ribs now but the back bone is still prominent as if she was kin to a razor back hog. We are feeding her at twice the daily intake by desired weight now, don't know how much weight she has gained but we are on the climb to health. Walks are still kept pretty short as she will still tire, except for wanting to chase cats :p
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I can see it's gonna be a "dog's life" for Sweetie. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Wow! she looks like a dog now and a very smart one at that. Say hi to Sweetie for me!:kiss: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Alboy

I am begiing to understand that once again I have a pet that is probably smarter than I am. As we preogress we are finding lots of things she already knows like stay, shake hands, wake daddy up which my wife said and I was imediately brought out of a sound nap two rooms away with snuffles and kisses:sweetheart: :p
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

drinksgin (deceased)

ADS![all day sucker]
;D
Only one thing more pitiful than a pup pamperer and that is someone who volunteers to become part of a cat's staff!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Alboy

Quote from: drinksgin;100660ADS![all day sucker]
;D
Only one thing more pitiful than a pup pamperer and that is someone who volunteers to become part of a cat's staff!

GUILTY ON BOTH COUNTS :bandana:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

I missed getting a picture of Sweetie on Saturday. She is really filling out and starting to get a good deal of energy. We had a visit at McMeans Jr high today to promote a food drive for animal shelterrs and she was the guest of honor.

The young lady running the TV interview was curious if she had ever been taught the basic commands and we let her run Sweetie through them. Heel, Sit, Come, Stay and a bonus of shake hannds were all done flawlessly. Another pleasant surprise. She was the doll of the kids dispensing snuffles and licks with a flair and to all.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

One more from today
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

The best things in life are often free.

This sure smacks of divine intervention for all parties.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

This will be the last update except for new threads as we do someting major.

She went to visit the Vet today for her 1 month check up. got clean billed in general though we still foresee heart worm treatment coming (supplies are low right now due to merger and realignment of the medicine folks) and we will spade her at some time in the future after heart worm problems are done.

She weighed 57 pounds, so I need to cut back on the feed some. Gained 25 pounds. I had been feeding and snacking her if she even appeared to be hungry.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: