140 gr Accubond Too Much for Small Deer?

Started by 70Classic, February 26, 2005, 09:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Classic

Greetings All -

My newest "toy" is a Winchester M70 Sporter III in .270 WSM, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x42. The "Lawyer's Trigger" has been reworked to break at three pounds with neither creep nor overtravel. My best group off the bench is 1.75" at a 200 yard zero with Winchester Supreme 140gr. Accubonds. I am obviously pleased with the rifle and cartridge from an accuracy standpoint.

How do you folks feel about using this bonded bullet on whitetails that are usually on the smallish side? Range to target could be 60 yards to 250 yards. I'm a bit concerned about meat damage, since that's my primary reason for hunting deer. Might I be better off with a more frangible bullet, say the 130 gr. ballistic silvertip? I certainly don't mind taking the time to re-zero.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gmoney

It may do a little meat damage if you do not hit them right but it is not overkill for whitetails.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

M1Garand

I think they should work very well, as with the velocities you have with your 270 WSM, it'll hold together well.

Tags: