What's your favorite Knife?

Started by sakorick, January 11, 2007, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The knife is an essential part of hunting. My favorite all around knife is the Puma Bowie #6396. Mine was made in Jun, 1969. I gut deer, skin deer, debone meat, cut up meat and just about everything else with this wonderful old knife. I had enough money after my first tour in Nam to buy it and it's been a friend ever since.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

babbyc1000

i always carry two knives, a small, straight edged, folding fishing knife that lives in my jacket pocket, its great for gutting or filleting fish, rabbits, birds, everything really. the 2nd knife is a machete about 14" long. simple reason i carry it is because it comes in very handy when im making a hide to shoot pigeons or crows from, makes taking branches off trees real easy. its also great for taking off fish heads but i dont take it with me if i am fishing, get too many strange looks!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

sakorick

Quote from: babbyc1000;55361i always carry two knives, a small, straight edged, folding fishing knife that lives in my jacket pocket, its great for gutting or filleting fish, rabbits, birds, everything really. the 2nd knife is a machete about 14" long. simple reason i carry it is because it comes in very handy when im making a hide to shoot pigeons or crows from, makes taking branches off trees real easy. its also great for taking off fish heads but i dont take it with me if i am fishing, get too many strange looks!

Hello Babby. Okay, I can forgive you this time.....I aked for your favorite knife....not two knives......Now you have to pick one...my guess it will be the folding knife:undecided: . Regards, Rick.

babbyc1000

ehhhh. nope. ok you can shout at me for not listening again! :sleeping:

well the knife ill pick isnt really a hunting knife, its a ww1 bayonet (though you didnt specify!!). i have two of them, we found them in my grannys house after she died in july. you can imagine our surprise when cleaning out this little 84 yr old, frail, white haired womans broom cupboard we found two 12" long bayonets! they belonged to (we think) my great grandfather who fought in the 36th ulster division at the battle of the somme in 1916. they were both very rusty, but i cleaned one of them up when i was laid up with the ankle, it still has service numbers on it, theres a lot of history there (this is my favourite one). its currently waiting for me to get around to clean up its partner and mount them on the wall in my games room.

well if you want me to pick a hunting knife ill go for the machete (just to be contrary! :greentongue: ). seriousley tho, even tho it mightnt be great for gutting or filleting unless you want to lose a finger, the reason im picking it is because it has character, which the other one doesnt. its fun chopping branches with its, so thats what ill pick. :hat:

Daryl (deceased)

Rick,

It's hard for me to pick a favorite.  I have so many different uses for a knife, and so many knives that are handy for those specific uses.

For hunting, I suppose it would be the Marble's Fieldcraft that I've been carrying for several years.  Stays sharp better than anything else I've tried, it's big enough to handle stuff up to and including buffalo, and yet not so big that I can't clean up small game with it.

Still, I only carry it when I'm hunting.  The rest of the time (and also when I'm hunting), I carry three others.  A Kershaw clip pocket knife with the speed safe open, a small Spyderco pocket knife, and a Leatherman Wave.

So, what use did you have in mind?

:D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

sakorick

The use is up to you.....Just post your favorite hunting knife.....the use is not part of the equation. I know all of you out there in THL land have a favorite knife....cheap, expensive, folding.....makes not a wit......I want to see your one and only favoritwe hunting knife....pics too.....Get it on! Regards, Rick.

gitano

My favorite hunting knife is a Case, two-bladed, folding sheath knife, with soft steel blades. It covers all my hunting needs. I've had this particular knife for about 30 years. You'll note that the soft steel blades are practically "new" in spite of the fact that I keep this knife scalpel sharp. Another mythe debunked.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Like Paul... I used the same CASE folder for many years but retired it.  I had picked it up in the service when I was a young Seaman Apprentice.  It served faithfully.

Then I went to a Powder River Folder that LOCKS OPEN.  That is now my 'back up' because you need two knives to do an Elk.

The knife that I carry in my day pack and that I've used for the last 15 years or so is a custom knife made by Two Dog.  The blade is about 8 inches long and it is razor sharp on the 'clip' edge as well as the main edge.

Here is a picture of the knife:

gitano

The one feature of the Case that I don't like is that the blades don't lock. I've cut myself butchering game more than once because of that deficiency. I just haven't found a suitable replacement. While I own many fixed-blade knives, I've yet to find one that I "like". The only fixed-blade knife I did "like" was a "Bowie-like" knife with the blade made from a Jeep leaf-spring with water buffalo horn handle. The Vietnamese Montagnards made it and a very cool crossbow for my Dad. Both were stolen.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

babbyc1000

well i bought a new knife today, i went into the local outdoors shop to get a set of shooting gloves, id asked for them for xmas and got a lot of other stuff i didnt need/want!!

i dont know how she handles yet as i only got home at 10pm but have a look and see what you think.

http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/41/products_id/1608

now i would just like to point out when i decided to buy the knife it was not in a box, it was sitting in a glass display case with a price tag, i did not know the name or make and neither did the saleswoman, however it felt nice in the hand and i liked the look of it so i bought it. i apologise for any offence with the name!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: babbyc1000;55609I apologise for any offence with the name!

Don't be concerned about it Babbyc... you didn't name the knife. We'll just refer to it as the 'FB'.

As far as the knife is concerned... I cannot say that it is my cup of tea.  There are very few clip points I appreciate and no drop points.  I like 'em nice and straight.  When I do have a clip point... it must be razor sharp on the clip as well as the main cutting surface.

Knifes that lock open and have handles long enough and fat enough to grasp on a really cold day and/or with a lot of blood on my hands is what I seek.  Dressing out an Elk can be a big job and I want and need the right blade.

babbyc1000

good idea jay, "FB" it is! believe me this is possibly one of the largest folding knives ive seen (or have i led a sheltered existence???)

as i said i havnt tried it out yet, it doesnt lock as my fishing knife does, its hard to explain how it works unless you actually have one in ur hand, but when i saw it ill admit that it was a definite case of shiny kit syndrome (ie, i dont know what it is/does or if i will even need/use it but i like the look of it so im having it!)

im going to head out shooting when it gets light so ill let you know if it gets any use, ill still have the other ones anyway, i have a suspicion it might be too big for filleting a pigeon but i think it could handle a rabbit well, we'll see!

m gardner

I found my dad's old original Mora knife made in Sweden in the 1940's or 1950's I think. It has a laminated blade and holds an edge like no other I own. It has a birch grip. He has dementia and hid stuff everwhere before going into a home and after it was found I claimed it. It looked like he pryed something with it and the blade was bent and the tip broke. I made a new sheath for it and straightened the blade and shortened it about a half inch and reshaped it. It looks and works fine now. I used it to dismantle 3 deer this year. It was sad but, satisfying to use his old knife. God bless and good hunting.
 Mark

Mauserfan in TX

I would'nt say it is my favorite, but the knife i seem to carry a lot  and does more work for me in the field is my Cold Steel Voyager. It is the large , non-serrated clip point type.:biggthumpup:
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

recoil junky

Paul, the oldest son has Dad's 2 bladed Case knife that looks just like yours. I'll pick it for my favorite, too.:biggthumpup:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

bowhunter 51

I selected  my go-to field dresser....A folding Gerber with
a 3 & 1/2" blade...Nearing retirement to fishing tackle box,
It has been instrumental in both field dressing & processing
deer, fish & small game for the family freezer for 'bout 10-12
year now...fits nicely in my back pocket along side my wallet.
Easy to sharpen, holds edge, good grip & just as tight now
as was, when new...When I replace it, I'll be looking for the
closest comparable...Sheathed knives just don't work for me.
They'll hang-up on vines and ivy like the popular Green Briar
native to my area..difficulty gripping smaller knives..BH51:smiley:
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

RatherBHuntin

Finally got around to taking a picture
Case Trapper- US Army Edition
I have a fixed blade that I like more, but this one fits in my pocket and the two blades are much more practical so I carry it more.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

This little fella has become my favorite starting this last deer seson. This is the one that in an earlier post I was asking if any one had opinions about cold tempering knife steel. I am not sure it makes a difference or not but this knife has definately hauled its weight this year.

5 deer, 1 aoudad, 1 pig to date and all I have done is put a ceramic to it twice.

It looks like a chrome piece of junk from a toy store but just keeps on cutting. My only complaint for a draw back is the blade is a little short for seperating the colon deep enough to make it easily pulled through when gutting. that is not much of a complaint.

Oh yea the blade is 3" long, 1 1/4" deep and 1/8" thick. The handle is 4 1/2" long x 1" thick. fits into my hand with the index finger out on the blade, middle finger in the notch.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

HSM_miner

I carry two knives as well: a Puma Hunters Pal for gutting, and a Bear MGC locking folder with a 4 inch clipper blade for everything else game related.  Both knives hold an edge that are scarry sharp.  Each has their job and work well for me.

Inukshuk

My favorite knife has been the Buck Skinner model 103 with cocobola handle for the last 15 years. Sadly somebody broke into my home last month and stole over $5,000 of hunting gear. :frown:(
All my best knives were Buck with cocobola handles. I always carried 3, models 103, 192BR, 102, plus a small axe.
To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before
Live Long And Prosper

bowhunter 51

Well I finally picked up another knife....Naturally it had to be another
Gerber lockblade, 3.5 inch blade but this one has a gut hook.........
I'm skeptical right now...I'll have to put it to the test.....BH51.......................

sakorick

I like Gerbers and have several including the saw that goes with me in my pack. My favorite is still the Puma.....here is a pic just before cutting up another deer....1969 vintage and still #1. Regards, Rick.

subsonic

I had good luck with an old Bucklite III for a long time, but finally decided it was time to get something a little bigger before my elk hunt last year. My wife bought me a Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter for my birthday 2 years ago for this. I finally got a chance to use it the other day and was impressed with it. The handle was easy to hold, reasonably easy to clean, and the blade is shaped well and stays very sharp. The sheath that it comes with is not great, and the steel will stain (already has) if not cleaned and oiled pretty quickly, but cleans up pretty well with flitz. I dressed, skinned, and butchered a deer using mosly this knife, except for the actual cutting of steaks and different cuts of meat from the larger sections of muscle. It still shaved hair from my arm after this work.

I'll post a pic later.

bowhunter 51

Quote from: bowhunter 51;67924Well I finally picked up another knife....Naturally it had to be another
Gerber lockblade, 3.5 inch blade but this one has a gut hook.........
I'm skeptical right now...I'll have to put it to the test.....BH51.......................

Well, I did....field dressed and butchered several deer with it and
quite honestly, I'm alittle disappointed with particularly the gut hook
concept...although it works just fine on it's primary use it tends to
hang on just about anything and because it has the hook..the blade
at the tip is so wide, and blunt it is practically useless to gig with...
It's cons out-weight the pros on this one.:( .................BH51...................

leepearl

Quote from: sakorick;55352The knife is an essential part of hunting. My favorite all around knife is the Puma Bowie #6396. Mine was made in Jun, 1969. I gut deer, skin deer, debone meat, cut up meat and just about everything else with this wonderful old knife. I had enough money after my first tour in Nam to buy it and it's been a friend ever since.

That Puma Bowie 6396 is in a pretty darn good condition for a 40 year old knife that has been used extensively! Good choice of knife.

hello

my gerber tanto has served me faithfully for a while now. it was about 40 bucks and ive never needed anything else. good value if you ask me

jesusgecko

At the moment,  a boring old White Lux filleting knife.  Made in China,  but still semi decent.

To me a filleting knife is always going to win - until the day I get a good chef's knife.  Anyone want to send a Christmas pressie over for me???
Normality is for the weak.

hello

sure, if itll pass customs LOL

Jamie.270

Folding:  Gerber gator.  Locks open, grippy handle, even when bloody.  One handed gravity opening when needed.

Sheath knife:  Either Buck 110 or Shrade skinner, depending on the task at hand.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

jesusgecko

Long as there aren't any fruit mixed in it'll probably make it through,  lol.
Normality is for the weak.

JaDub

Gerber Gator rocks.   It`s my first folding knife and I gotta say I love it.   It has a `rubberized` ergonomic handle that fits the hand perfectly and it will not slip when bloody.    I just bought a second Gerber, this being almost identical to the first one except it has a gut hook.     Opens and closes with ease  and  it won`t come close to breaking the bank.      My Case is now retired.

Tags: