Need help with a BSA Monarch .243

Started by chasefan9, May 12, 2015, 10:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasefan9

I've been looking everywhere for help, and everyone told me to come here.  They all spoke very highly of someone named Brithunter....

Let me explain.  A friend of mine came to me a while back with his BSA .243 rifle.  He didn't know what model it was, just the caliber and make.  His dad gave it to him decades ago, and he took every deer in his life with this rifle, often right alongside his father.  

His father passed away a while back, and he came back across his BSA.  Over the years, the rifle saw some abuse from storage, and the stock was cracked and worn, so he took it to a gunsmith for repair.  What was left, anyways; he was missing the bolt, along with a few other parts.  He left it with the gunsmith, as BSA parts aren't too easy to find over here in the USA.  

A few months later he went back to pick the rifle up, and was given a poorly sanded stripped barreled receiver, a bag with the trigger module, front and rear standard sights, the mag body, spring and follower, and a semi-new unfinished Monte Carlo style stock.  He brought it to me because he had nowhere else to turn to.  If it wasn't for the sentimental value I'd tell him to just get another rifle, but his father was a good police officer for years and, more than that, he was a great father and a great man, and his BSA is basically all he has left.  

From the prefix code, I found it is a BSA Monarch .243 built off the first patent, so that made things a little easier, but I'm having trouble sourcing a bolt.  I don't want to have to cannibalize a perfectly good rifle for a couple parts, but at this point it's looking like that is going to be my only option.  Can anyone help?  I'm going to try to post pictures if I can get it to work, but it's really late here and my laptop died so I'm using my phone.

Also, sorry about the long-winded post :)

chasefan9

I tried to post more but it won't let me get them all in one post.  That's all the parts, though.

sakorick

First, welcome! Looks like a total restoration job. Of course before restoration you will need all the parts on hand. I see the need for a built up complete bolt, a triggerguard, front sight cover, action screws, possible the catch spring, floorplate with pin, swivels and possibly a BSA pad. Then everything needs to be polished, reblued and the stock refinished. I would check with Knibbs for the parts you need. Bolt left in the white by the way. Regards, Rick.

Update. Two members in GB are checking for parts for you. Jarger88 and Joe Bloggs. Also, I found many of the parts you need at Numrich. They even have a brand new completely finished stock with pad and sling studs for $111. You couldn't refinish the one you have for that price. They also have a floorplate firing pin and shroud. I would say things are looking up.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Welcome Chasefan9!

First, that's not a 'long-winded' post. The Hunter's Life isn't "Twitter".

Second, the pictures and explanation are excellent and very helpful.

Third, I think you should be able to get this all resolved to your friend's satisfaction. However, and you probably already know this, restorations are rarely "cost effective". By which I mean that I have NEVER heard of an example of the restoration of an old firearm costing less than a new one or even replacement of the old one. That's not to be discouraging! I completely understand the sentimental aspect. I am looking forward to this project and am confident that it can come to an end with which you and your friend will be pleased.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

chasefan9

I appreciate the help y'all. I think Numrich has most of what I need besides the bolt assembly.  They are usually my go-to place for the old and hard to find stuff, but a lot of parts for discontinued firearms are dwindling in supply.  

I'm prepared to go in the hole on this one.  I've seen thses jobs get real expensive real fast.  Thankfully, time, at least, is not a major factor in this project, and that'll give me a chance to be as meticulous as possible.  I had "the talk" with my buddy, so he understands what the project is gonna take.
Once I get all the puzzle pieces, I'll start another thread for the restoration.  I'm getting all excited now :D
Thanks again, I can't wait for the next update!

sakorick

Many don't know this, however, if you sign up for notices at Numrich you get 10% off....that usually pays for shipping. Don't buy anything yet!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

I see that I have been lax in checking in here :o sorry but it seems that all is in hand. What is puzzling me is that I cannot make out teh action scope dovetails which the 2st pattern Monarchs had. It was the 2nd model Monarch that had the smooth top of Rem 700 contour for the American market.
Go Get them Floyd!

chasefan9

It's all good, Brithunter, I'm just glad I got your attention :)

I'll try to get a picture to show it, but the top of the receiver is drilled and tapped for the dovetails.  I think that was another "bonus part" that  "disappeared" when a previous gunsmith had it.  Plus the prefix code is 11M.

Brithunter

I think we need the serial number prefix checking as that is NOT a 1st Pattern Monarch. The scope mounting dovetails are machined into the receiver on the 1st pattern Monarch and are not removable like so:-

The bolt should be like this:-

although a bit shorter as the 1st pattern Monarchs came in three action lengths and the one in the photos is a 270 Win so a long action. The prefix for a .243 Win 1st Pattern Monarch should be 11L or 11M ........................... Now if yours is marked 11M then some one has machined off the dovetails .................................................... or you have a mis-stamped very early 2nd Pattern Monarch. Now if that is factory contouring of the receiver then any mounts for the Rem 700 will fit.

Note that the prefix on the 270 Win is 8L which indicates it's one of the 987 made between 1966-1969.

The full rifle for reference.
Go Get them Floyd!

chasefan9

I double checked the stamp on the receiver, and it is marked 11M (it's hard to tell in the picture, my phone won't focus very well).  The serial number is actually stamped BELOW "made in england" instead of above it like on yours.  What puzzles me is there are no machining marks on the receiver where someone would've cut the dovetails off.  That makes me think it was a misstamped receiver from the factory.

I'm so glad you're here to lend your expertise, Brit, as I know very little about BSA other than the fact that they're fairly scarce on this side of the pond

davidlt89

QuoteNow if that is factory contouring of the receiver then any mounts for the Rem 700 will fit.
Glad to see Parker hale made a decent mounting system:D God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Quote from: davidlt89;139465Glad to see Parker hale made a decent mounting system:D God Bless.

The funny thing is that the gun writers were always on about integral mounting for scopes yet when a company like BSA made just that the average American buyer was not happy. Part of the problem was that BSA machined the dovetails to accept the Parker-Hale rings and it seems that some places in America had never heard of Parker-Hale. IMHO BSA should have made their own mounts and supplied them to the dealers but of course the accountants would ot allow that.

BTW David BSA always was as eperate company to Parker-Hale even though both hailed from Birmingham. BSA was set up to supply the government with small arms. The onyl went into civilian gun making due to lack of orders and support from the british Government ...................... they ahd to to survive. I don't know if you realise but durign WW2 BSA supplied eveny machine gun fitted to the RAF's planes and an awful lot of machine guns for the tanks too! Not to mention the rifles.

Parker-Hale began as a Shooting Accroutmant supplier and they never made an actions unlike BSA whom made the whole gun.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

QuoteBSA should have made their own mounts and supplied them to the dealers
Something Ruger does with their model 77s and No. 1s.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: