Lead sled

Started by sakorick, August 16, 2005, 03:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

They work.....not the ultimate, but they sure reduce the recoil.....I recommend.:)
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

What calibers did you use it with and how well did it work? Also, gitano said that he had used one and didn't like the adjustments, How did you like them? Was it easy to get on target?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Hunterbug....7mag and '06....heavy loads. Used 2 bags of shot. Gets easier to use once you jibber with it a bit.....I like it and they are on sale at midway now!
Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Thanx for the report. I've really considered picking one up. Especially for shooting the 338 with heavy loads.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

teddy12b

I bought one of these to use with my 300 RUM, and 12 Slug guns.  I got out and used mine today for the first time.  If anyone is considering buying one I highly recommend it!  I just put a couple dumbells on either side and it made my 300 RUM feel like a 223.  Today I could do some real load development and ammo testing because of the lead sled.

gitano

I can recommend it, but not without qualification.

For 'general' sighting in, especially open-sighted firearms, it's great. Even for 'scoped rifles, it is OK. However, the elevation adjustment on the two I used - several times - was crude at best. It had a 'mind of its own', at least to a certain extent. By that I mean that the fit of the threaded shaft that controls the front elevation was 'sloppy', so that when the lock was employed, the elevation and windage changed - too much for my tastes. Did I make it "work"? Sure. But it could easily be made 'tighter' with no increase in manufacturing costs.

I too used two 25# bags of shot (per the manufacturer's recommendations). So configured, I could pull the trigger (on my .338 Win Mag shooting 225 grain bullets or my .45-70 shooting 500 grain bullets) by using only the thumb and index finger of my left hand. So employed, the Lead Sled would move sufficiently after five or six shots that it required slight repositioning.

If I bought one, I would find a way to replace the fromt elevation adjustment so that it was not so sloppy. That, however is my only criticism. In my opinion, it's a good range tool. A very modest improvement in manufacturing could make it an excellent range tool.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: