Need Advice on Bolt Action 30-06 Rifle for Son

Started by 147 Grain, May 19, 2005, 11:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

147 Grain

Looking for advice on a quality 30-06 rifle for my 17 year old son to hunt with.  He's an expert shot with a Marlin 336 30-30 and wants to shoot the '06 like his dad.

Savage makes a decent rifle, but I don't know what model is best.  The 24" barrel on a Remington CDL is intriguing.  Tikka makes good rifles as well.

Will also have to spend some dollars on a quality scope for long range deer and elk hunting.  Often the package deels aren't the best option in the long run.

Thanks in advance of your guided assistance!

Steve in Utah
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Jay Edward (deceased)

Well...the real proof of any firearm is whether or not it shoots straight (and holds it's zero)...all else is pretty much window dressing.

I suppose the next consideration is the price of the firearm (including a scope).  Some of the folks who drift by will have definite opinions on this subject as they are pretty much supportive of the firearm(s) they've chosen.

Then you will have to take into consideration what your son has in mind.  I've found that folks almost always have something in mind even when they say they don't.  If you purchase just anything that fits the definition, there is a good chance the person will say: "Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind.  Did you read the article in....?"

I've sort of been intrigued by the Savage 114 but I do not own one.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us in the loop.

gitano

Your choices seem "just fine" to me. I would only add tha sometimes you can pick up a real 'jewel' from the 'previously owned' ranks. For example, I've got  a Browning made in '54 (I think) chambered in '06. It is a very classy rifle. As Jay said, stright-shootin' is the most important consideration. Good hunting. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I agree with gitano on the pre-owned rifles. I got a Pre '64 Model 70 winchester for a 303 Brit and 75 bucks. Some others that I would look for are J.C. Higgins Model 50s which are comercial mausers built by FN and Westernfields which are also comercial Mausers. I've seen thoes at pawn shops for 200 bucks because most people don't know what they really are. That would leave you more for a good scope than if you dropped 450 on a new rifle. And it's been my experience that the quality of new rifles is not the same as one that was made 50 years ago but has been well maintained.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

147 Grain

Thanks Jay and Paul:

As far as a Savage goes, are there some models that are better than others?  Any idea on who makes the new Mossburg ATR?
* Shot Placement
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Big Red Trike

My understanding of Savage is only buy if its got an accutrigger. I don't own one but have heard the trigger system is amazing and straight shooting they are.

I have a Cooey (Modle 70 Winchester) in 06. It is a very straight shooter.

The ATR is too cheap......we have to draw the line somewhere. Buy a good gun.....I just bought a Ruger M77 MKII in Laminate and stainless (7MM) awesome smooth and beautiful, recoil of 06, and 300-400 ft/sec faster and the gun comes with good quality Ruger rings.

Mine cost GUN & RINGS $749 cdn or $560 USD.

But used maybe the ticket.....provided it is from someone you know.....as we never want to buy another guys problem.........? If it between $100 - 200 take it, if its more look new? Just my thoughts.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Lee

justin

the 06 is a great gun but i sold my whenchester 670 becouse i could't handle the recoil but if i knew when remington made the managed-recoil i've would of kept it but got me a remington 700 adl in 270

sakorick

Quote from: Big Red TrikeBuy a good gun.....I just bought a Ruger M77 MKII in Laminate and stainless (7MM) awesome smooth and beautiful, recoil of 06, and 300-400 ft/sec faster and the gun comes with good quality Ruger rings.

Lee[/QUOTE

Buy not just a good one...make it special. I own a number of '06's and a 7mag Tikka. The 7 mag shoots a 140 gr bullet at 3180 and the '06 shoots a 165 gr bullet at 2920....my hunting loads. IMHO, the recoil of the 7mag is a bit more than the '06. They all shoot great. The young man wants an '06....get him one....it's a rifle for a lifetime. I would recommend the Steyr Pro Hunter with the syn camo  http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/frm_inventory1.htm he  has a pro hunter '06 in camo for 825. as for the scope...Nikon is having some kind of blow out sale...check out http://www.4scopes.com/buckmasters.htm

You match up the Steyr with one of these fine Nikons, 50 years from now, everytime your son looks at that rifle he will shed a tear. I know...my dad's old 8mm Mauser is my favorite and my first '06 03A3 is my second. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

m gardner

A firearm is a very personal item especially to a young man. Let him do the picking. The used gun market is a good idea if alterations need to be made which will add to the cost. If he's small of stature the youth models in 308 based cartridges are good choices. Sounds like he really admires you and wants a gun just like dad's. Can he handle the recoil of the 30-06? If you handload you can tame it alot. Remington is now making some "Managed Recoil" loadings that may help him have success and not get beat up. It's got to be fun too. The only bad choice you could make is a remington model 710. Everthing else will probably be okay. Burris and weaver make good scopes for under $200. The weaver K 4 is about $120 and mine seems to work fine. God bless and good hunting.

drinksgin (deceased)

I have heard several people who felt the Mossberg was a real bargain, comfortable and accurate, and , the Walmart price of $245 was a real attraction as well.
Of course, all rifles are individuals and results WILL vary.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

147 Grain

The $244 for a Mossberg ATR-100 is a pretty good price at Walmart - besides the $349 for a Savage 110 with scope.  My local Impact Guns shop has new Remington ADL's for $339.
* Shot Placement
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Hunterbug

Quote from: Big Red TrikeI just bought a Ruger M77 MKII in Laminate and stainless (7MM) awesome smooth and beautiful, recoil of 06, and 300-400 ft/sec faster and the gun comes with good quality Ruger rings.
300-400fps! Actually they are pretty close in terms of velocity, more like 100fps with a similar weight bullet. The 7mm will have a flightly higher B.C. but the '06 will have more frontal area so it's pretty much a wash.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

I  don't want to offend anyone here  but some of you expressed concerns that  a 17 year old might have trouble with a 30'06 ...I  guess cause of the recoil???  I've been shooting them since I was 13 and that would be the  least of my worries. My son's first rifle was a Sako '06 L61R that he has shot a deer with every year since he was 14.  Shoot, my brother's plastic Ruger in 270 kicks as hard as the Sako....the caliber IMHO, is great....he just needs to pick one!!! Do you have a Cabelas nearby??? Take him to a store that carries them  all....go shopping!!! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Kanibal

Or a Sportsmans Warehouse for that matter.  they also have an excellent selection and that is where I go when I need to play around with guns to see what fits me best.  For some reason they all fit me best.  That means I have a lot of saving to do.  But dont tell my girlfriend.
-Richard

147 Grain

My son isn't worried about recoil of a 30-06, as he's had plenty of longterm shooting (all day long) with weapons that have a little kick.

For example:

He's fired a 30-30 for 5 - 6 hours at the range totalling about 200 rounds.  He and I frequently shoot Trap & Skeet with 12 gauge 1 1/8-oz. loads and go through about 2 1/2 cases (625 rounds) per outing.
* Shot Placement
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Tags: