Standard Cartridge Series - .264 Magnum

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 22, 2004, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This cartridge seems to have quite a following although you don't hear too much about it anymore.  Those who have used it, have had it passed down from other hunters or who 'discover' it seem to be fanatically loyal and proclaim it's abilities far and wide.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Friends & neighbors,

As most of you know I am not a big fan of ANY MAGNUM cartridges.....period! I believe that the individual shooter/hunter should become proficient with the standard calibers that are available. Most shots on game are 300 yards or less...........mainly less! The main point is that you are able/capable of putting that 1st shot where it is supposed to go and have the proper bullet to get the job done..........period! I have owned a .264 magnum and became fairly proficient with it........3.75" groups at 300 yards on "occasion"! That being said....it is my personal opinion that the 6.5x06, 6.5x55 BJAI, 6.5x55 Swede, the 260 Remington -- " all with proper bullets for the game hunted" and you, the shooter, have spent enough time firing your particular firearm with enough proficiency to put 3-shots into a 6" group at 300 yards "most of the time", "fire-belching, smoking" magnums are totally unnecessary! However, there is, as always, exceptions to the rule! Recently I made my personal apologies to a fellow shooter who was a big advocate of the "mag-a-num-num big bore calibers" and the reason I extended my apologies was that the particular terrain he was hunting required "loooong" shots and he was more than a "proficient" shot at these extended ranges! Shows to go ya that you ain't never too old to learn....period!

Back when I was a young feller and surplus Hodgdon's 4831 was $0.50 per pound in bulk(50# barrels) I was willing to feed my desires with the .264 Win Magnum......Not any more..............My 6.5x06 or 6.5x55 Swede and my eventual 6.5x55 BJAI will accomplish all that is needed to put venison in the freezer at a whole lot less expensel...........However, if you wish to give the .264 Win magnum a work-out, by all means give it a shot.............Nothing like personal experience to achieve knowledge.....Just remember..........I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Ol' John.....:rolleyes: :) :D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

klallen

I'd always respected the reported performance of this cartridge but had not tripped across a rifle that I liked until Ruger offered their limited run of .264's a few years back.  Only made a 1000 of them and then evidently threw out their left over barrels in various M77 Mark II models.  To this day I still feel extremely fortunate to have snagged my RFP.  Been working with the cartridge for a while now.  It quickly became one of my sweet-hearts.  Light recoil (relative to other things in the safe).  Easy to reload for.  Oozing with performance.  My preferred load uses a 120 gr. Ballistic Tip & R22.  In it's first season in the field, this combo took a 29 1/2" Mulie @ 85 yds, a 14" antelope @ 325 yds. and a smaller 3x3 Mulie a bit under 350 yds.  I fully understand many cartridges would have been able to accomplish this feat, but at the time, only one was in my hands     ...     the .264 WinMag.  And watching how it handled the big and small animals both close and far, I established a level of confidence in the round that will never be shaken.

For those interested in giving the .264 a try, I say have at it.  I think you'll enjoy the experience.  For me, I'll never be without one in the safe.  >>  klallen

CAfrica

Jay,

How about putting up Remington's 6.5 Magnum which is now obsolete and lets get some opinions on why it never caught on in the shooters world?

According to my information, the only factory loads still available for the 264mag is the 140gr.  Furthermorew, I believe nobody chambers rifles for it anymore.  That means that this rifle is allready in the class where it is mainly for the reloader. Unless there is revived interest in this calibre for some reason, I predict that it will also become obsolete.

The question is why? Why have the 6.5's invariably been the choice of the gun nut (I count myself as one) and have not become generally accepted?

Any opinions?

C

oneshot

John, I think the answer to your question has  to do with the average  American hunter simply not knowing.  Most hunters I have encounterd don't research.  they get their anecdotal information from friends and reletives who in turn did the same.  Research takes a lot of effort.  This is unfortunate.  I have a friend who bought a 7mm Rem Mag. and  is now a very unhappy with it as all his shots are under 100yds and at that range he found it to be very destructive on deer.  He is now considering a 260 or a 7mm-08.  Now before I ruffle any feathers out there keep in mind I consider the 7mmMag. a great round, but for these S.E. Georgia deer it is a bit much.  It's better suited for Elk and Moose  unless it is used where very long shots are made.  Either way dead is dead.
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

RatherBHuntin

OneShot,
 A friend of mine here in West Texas has said the same thing.  After losing an entire shoulder to a 7mm last year he is using something quite abit tamer this year, though I forget what.  He was very upset about the loss of meat.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: CAfricaJay, How about putting up Remington's 6.5 Magnum which is now obsolete and lets get some opinions on why it never caught on in the shooters world?[/size]

According to my information, the only factory loads still available for the 264mag is the 140gr. Furthermorew, I believe nobody chambers rifles for it anymore. That means that this rifle is allready in the class where it is mainly for the reloader. Unless there is revived interest in this calibre for some reason, I predict that it will also become obsolete.

The question is why? Why have the 6.5's invariably been the choice of the gun nut (I count myself as one) and have not become generally accepted?  Any opinions?  C
[/size]

Wellll...OK, but this is 'out of order' as it more properly belongs in the 'Obsolete Series' which will be put back into the reference database.

CAfrica

I wonder how much truth there is in Frank's assertion that what lead to the downfall of the calibre was the fact that it was chambered in rifles that did not meet the needs of shooters.

Remington learned this lesson with their 6mm which was launched with too slow a twist rate.  When they finally accepted this fact, they relaunched the same calibre under a different name (only difference is the twist in the bbl).

Another calibre where Frank claims popularity was affected by the type of rifle is the 218 Bee (which was launched in lever actions as opposed to the Hornet which was supplied in bolt action).

Would this calibre (6.5 Rem Mag) have been in existence still today if rifles with longer bbls & Magazine boxes were offered?

I for one think there may be truth in this matter.

C

OregonBoy

The 6.5 Rem Mag is now back in production...Remington chambers it in their 673 Guide Gun, and they're producing a 120gr load....

Arkie55

This is a very interesting topic to me.  I too am a 6.5 nutt!!!  I started out thinking that the .260 Remington would be the perfect caliber for the eastern hunter that made trips out west to hunt.  A .260 loaded with a heavy bullet would do for Elk at moderate ranges.  Would be and probably is outstanding for Mulies and speed goats.  Then while I was about to go madd wanting a .260 I discovered the 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser and never looked back.  I now own four rifles chambered in 6.5X55.  Once the 6.5 bug hit me, I started researching other 6.5 cartridges.  The .264 Mag looks real good on paper.  No doubt it will and does perform great on game.  However, I'm not a Magnum fan either.  It looks like a 6.5-06 will perform right up there close the .264 magnum and if I was looking to push the 6.5 bullet that would probably be my choice.  The best balanced 6.5 offerings is probably the 6.5X55 BJAI with the 6.5X55 Swedish running right at it's heels.  I'll have a BJAI someday if God willing.  I've talked with Hondojohn about it a few times and he sent me a couple of very good articles on this round.  Looks perfect to me.  It will probably be my next 6.5 round.  No doubt the .264 Mag and the 6.5 Remington Mag will do the job and send a 6.5 bullet down range at staggering speed.  But then again dead is dead and that is the bottom line.

Tags: