marooned on a desert island-pick a cartridge ?

Started by locknloadnow, December 10, 2008, 08:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pick a caliber

23 Remington
2 (16.7%)
43 Winchester
1 (8.3%)
5-06
0 (0%)
70 Winchester
3 (25%)
80 Remington
0 (0%)
0-30 Winchester
3 (25%)
0-06 Springfield
1 (8.3%)
08 Winchester
2 (16.7%)
58 Winchester
0 (0%)
5 Whelen
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

locknloadnow

if you were stranded on a large desert island and could only have ONE caliber gun for food/protection, which one would it be ?

Daryl (deceased)

Where's the desert island, what's there that I need to protect myself from, and what am I going to hunt for food?

I only own one rifle chambered in any of the choices offered in your poll, so I suppose I'd have to choose that one.

.243 Win.

In any particular survival situation, I'm pretty well convinced I could live adequately with a rifle chambered in the lowly .22 LR. No, I'd not want to fight a war with it, but I could survive with it, I'm sure.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

locknloadnow

I can respect that choice. You could carry thousands of round so 22 RF ammo, and I remember at one time the "survival rifle" proposed during the heyday of the Cold War, was an over/under combo: 22 rimfire on top/410 shotgun on bottom.

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: locknloadnow;87257I can respect that choice. You would carry thousands of round so 22 RF ammo, and I remember at one time the "survival rifle" proposed during the heyday of the Cold War, was an over/under combo: 22 rimfire on top/410 shotgun on bottom.

If I were going to rely on a rifle/shotgun combo, that one would be pretty decent.  I'd want the shotgun barrel rifled, so that I could shoot .45 Colt ammo out of it. ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

locknloadnow

Quote from: Daryl;87260If  I'd want the shotgun barrel rifled, so that I could shoot .45 Colt ammo out of it. ;)

Daryl

that and slugs too !:antlers:

davidlt89

I picked the .30-06 since I have had considerable experience with before I got my 7mm mag.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

firstly......for this country boy to end up on a desert island would take an
act of science fiction / kid-napping / a whoop'n the likes of which, only a
action character like Indiana Jones could relate....and then, air dropped
and/or slung from vessel at sea?....When I come crawling up on the sandy
beach or washed up on the rocks,..I ain't gonna be quite content with 22lr.
Give me 308 Win...........................................................................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

22hornet

I didn't choose any of the above as I think having a 22lr would be best choice.

Light weight, quiet, easy to use and it won't blow apart small birds and the like, which I am more likely to be gathering rather than putting in lots of time, effort and energy into possibly getting a pig. And as stated before you could carry lots more ammunition as opposed to a larger centre fire.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

babbyc1000

hmmm, id actually prefer a shotgun with a large selection of shells - sold slugs, buckshot, 4's, 6's, 7.5's, covers all eventualities - self defence, hunting (birds and all sizes of mammals). i admit 12 bore shells would be a bit bulky, so maybe a 20 bore (tho ive only ever used 12) but if i could have as much ammo as i wanted (a shipping container from the boat i was on floats ashore perhaps???) thats what id go for! :D
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

kombi1976

I'd have to say that none of those cartridges are really appropriate for the range of things suggested.
Protection from what - people? If so you don't need anything super powered but it needs to be accurate from a reasonable range.
If it's animal protection then it should be a nice big cal that you can handle from most ranges from right in front of you to 100 or 200 yds.
And all round hunting cals......none of them are what I would choose.
30-30 in a very accurate lever gun perhaps but then that's a mythical creature isn't it.
Sorry, none of those are what I would choose.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RustyBrass

my vote is timelss- thutty-thutty !:jumpingsmiley:

kombi1976

Hold on a sec.
I saw your post in the other poll.
30-30 doesn't come in a selective fire rifle!!!
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RustyBrass

true- that's why I chose 223, 6.8 SPC, or 7.62x39 in that other thread

different thread !

Tags: