'78 BMW, My new project.

Started by Alboy, December 03, 2007, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

Well the mechanic called Weds and my bike has made it to the front of the line.

The list goes like this.

New front brake master cylinder (stainless)
New hose on front brakes
rebuild the front calipers

Forks rebuilt

New rubber fore and aft

Engine valve train checked and back to factory specs

Carbs rebuilt

Gas cap fixed

Drive shaft checked and lubed

Rear end fresh lube

Rear brakes checked and OK

Supposed to be ready by 15 Feb
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

My VW was supposed to be ready for last Christmas. :(
If the work is good don't worry too much about the delivery date.
Just make sure it keeps moving along. ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Alboy

Well a little update. The shop was open when I got off work last Friday and the bike is still being worked on but they are to the back brakes now. The owner of the shop said he is leaning on the machanic to come on to the finish line with this project and quit getting pulled off in other directions. My obsevation was you are not making any money with this on the table and not getting finished.

Anyway this weeek is supposed to be done. We will see.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

LvrLover

Cool ride, man. I have had a couple of Hondas, but kids and a mortgage kind of put my better bike quest on hold... for now. I really like the look of the new Indians(and the old ones too). I had a shot at one with only a few thousand miles for 8gs but couldn't swing it. Now they are harder to find than hen's teeth.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

Posted 1/7/08
QuoteUppity kind of fella. I quote, "This is a project so do not expect it for 1-2 months, I do all the work I think it needs, you drive it out when I call you."

Today is exactly four months after the above post. Oy! You might recall I once waited 18 months to get a custom barrel that the maker promised in four.

Nonetheless, I'm expeciting it to be in great shape when you finally get your hands on it.

Waiting with bated breath to see the finished product.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Alboy

Paul

"Nonetheless, I'm expeciting it to be in great shape when you finally get your hands on it.

Waiting with bated breath to see the finished product."

That is two of us.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

The shop called Monday and they had it all put back together and test drove her. Found the clutch slipping in 4th and 5th. That tells me it was slipping in the other 3 gears too.

New clutch was not in the original quote so they wanted to know what I wanted to do. New clutch is going in and it will take about a "WEEK"

Getting closer anyway.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Quote from: Alboy;79009New clutch is going in and it will take about a "WEEK"
Hooray and halleluiah! Can't wait to see it.
QuoteNew clutch was not in the original quote so they wanted to know what I wanted to do.

Seems I remember:
QuoteI quote, "This is a project so do not expect it for 1-2 months, I do all the work I think it needs, you drive it out when I call you."

I thought a "project" and "I do all the work I think it needs", means "fix it all".

Still, I'm betting it'll be worth the wait.

If it isn't, maybe you need to go visit this fellow and have a little 'chat'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

So how's the Beemer going now, Alboy?
Did they sort out the clutch problems?
Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

Stopped in to check on the bike progress this afternoon.

Man says the clutch is in. They now say they also found rust in the tank and it has been relined. I wonder how that happens? Anyway it is supposed to be out by the 4th of July.

I must say i am not holding my breath but am hopeful.

I saw what  think was my bike sitting in the staging line with a new  or different tank on it. This one had the same bag as on the back of mine but the tank had an insulated bra. We will see.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Ahhh I believe the re-lining is a chemical process applied after the rust is killed and the lose stuff removed.
Go Get them Floyd!

Nelsdou

If it is the stuff I'm thinking of (can't remember the name, seems it went by some 3 letter acronym) it really does bonds to the steel tenaciously.  I used a version of it to coat the battery carrier and the rusty floorpans on an old VW and left a slick black epoxy-like finish.  One of the very few products I've seen that works as advertised.  If it wasn't so expensive I would've painted the whole underbody with it.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless

Nelsdou

Yep, that's it.  I wouldn't hesitate using the POR product made for gas tanks.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

Tags: