hunting blackbear with dogs!!

Started by davidlt89, August 15, 2006, 07:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Not a lot of action in this forum so I will see if I can get something started. Has anybody out their ever hunted blackbear with dogs? I am from maine and it is not that common, but we do have a few guys that do it. In fact, the guy I have gone with is from North Carolina and he brings his dogs up here to give them a headstart for the bear season in Carolina. Anyway, if you have been on one of these hunts, what was your opinion of it. Did you like it, or did you find it kinda inhumane. Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Ed B.

I hunt squirrel and coon with a MT. Cur, but I've never bear hunted with dogs, but as soon as I draw my tag I will hire a guide to take me.  It's kind of popular here in MI.  I've seen it on T.V. a few times and it looks like alot of fun.  I live in the southern lower part of the state.  There are no bears to speak of in this area.  If there were the dogs would be on them.
I don't see it as being inhumane at all.  No one cares when you kill a coon or squirrel in a tree with a dog barking at it.  I think it's just the perception of a large animal being treed.  Some people say the bear "looks" scared.  I doubt a squirrel or coon is any more happy about it.  Some people think that you should only kill a bear over bait with the hunter in the tree.  I think that is fine too, but ambushing the bear from above while he is trying to eat should be considered when people feel treeing them is wrong.
Your location might also play a part in weather or not it's humane.  For example I belive most people in MI. would say it's unethical to shoot a deer being ran by dogs.  It's never been allowed here and alot of people will tell you they will shoot a dog if they see it running one.  If you go to some southern states it is probably a common event.
Good topic.  I'm glad to see a new one up here.

Ed

davidlt89

Hey Ed,
   Good to hear from you. I agree with you 100%. The humane society of the united states (HSUS) pulled through here a couple years and tried to put a ban on all bear hunting. luckily, they did not succeed. It was astonishing how many hunters sided with them for the simple fact that they did not hunt blackbear. I heard everything from, "we can't hunt deer with dogs" or "we can't bait deer." They don't acknowledge the fact that we only have 30,000 black bear and 320,000 deer in the state. Anyway, I have been on two hunts with dogs and they were fun. Problem is, alot of hunters do not realize that whatever gets treed is what you have to shoot. If the bear does not get shot, then the dogs lose interest, and with 6k in each dog, most outfitters are not willing to risk that. Personally, I don't care how big it is, they all taste the same. If you are looking for a trophy blackbear, don't go on one of these hunts, you may be dissapointed. Again, thanks for the reply and God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buckshot roberts

;)davidlt89 I see nothing wrong with it', I've hunted with friends who have dogs that hunt gamebirds,rabbits,and squirrels, this past spring i used dogs on a wildboar hunt, and it was a lot of hard work keeping up with the dogs and hog's:D. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

motor (deceased)

In florida it is illegal to kill a bear..there is said to be less than 3000 in the state. but the ones that are here are a problem as they go into towns and they have killed nine of our goats over the last few years yet the state won't do anything about it..i had to put up an electric fence to keep them out..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

buckshot roberts

;) motor ya cant hunt them here in Ol' kentucky, one was hit buy a car a week ago, and before that one was hit in front of a wal-mart, sorry they killed ya goats, I've not heard of any killing live stock here.Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Buckshot,
I have been on a couple blackbear hunts with the dogs. We did not have to keep up with them though (thank God). Roads surrounded the property so we just kept driving around and around. the owner of the dogs knew where to go everytime. He also knew when they had it treed'. I believe HSUS is coming back to try and start another referendum to eliminate hunting bear with dogs and trapping. Sad thing is, I think they will succeed. It was bad enough the first time that alot of hunters sided with them, now even a lot of bear hunters will side with them because they think only baiting should be used. I say let inland and fisheries decide what is legal and not legal. I could go on but I better stop. I would definately love to hunt hogs someday, I hear they are very tasty. God Bless

Ed B.

It's just awful when fellow hunters side with the HSUS.  It seems like alot of people are purists and only to their sport.  Baiters siding with the antis' to stop bear hunting with dogs.  Alot of bow hunters are against anybody hunting with dogs because "it ruins their hunt".  Thoes who pactice QDM, or TDM are against thoes who aren't so choosy.  I just wish people would realize that with every win for the antis' they become that much more powerful.  Their sport might be next.  I have my own veiw on ethics as well.  I shake my head at alot of things I see other sportmen do.  I don't like seeing an 80 pound deer in the back of a truck.  I don't much care to hear people laugh about the deer they wounded and it ran off funny.  But, I will never side with the HSUS over it.  As long as we as sportsmen do what is leagle, I think we should all just practice our own ethics and don't side with the HSUS to get our point across.  

Ed

motor (deceased)

Quote from: Ed B.As long as we as sportsmen do what is leagle, I think we should all just practice our own ethics and don't side with the HSUS to get our point across.

That is my sentiments exactly..to each his own..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

MountainMafia

I might as well stick my oar in the water. In the old days when it was legal to use hounds to hunt bear in the west, they were one of the tools we used successful for taking black bear depredating on live stock, etc. in Western Oregon's coast range. It was hard work, but nothing more exciting for a hound-dogger, unless you had a lion up a tree. It was great sport.

Black bear don't always tree. In the heavy-timbered mountains of the coast range, some bear are bayed on the ground and they aren't easy to get up to before they break and run. One of my hunters had the misfortune of shooting a bear the dogs had bayed on a hillside. The bear rolled back down the hill on him before he could lever in a round for another shot. The bear locked his jaws on the hunters buttocks. Fortunately for him one of his more aggressive hounds was able to distract the bear enough for the hunter to finish the kill.

As far as HSUS goes, they pretty much consider all forms of hunting to be cruel and inhumane. We had better stick together before they pick us apart piece by piece
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

M. R. Byrd

Mountain Mafia-
That had to be one sight. I've heard the old saying, "Does a bear poop in the woods?", but does a hunter poop in the woods when a bear has his buttock in its mouth???? Glad it turned out alright for the hunter.

I did have a son in Lakewood. I miss my trips to Colorado. Only get there now during elk season and I love it.

Speaking of the HSUS, have any of you seen the article in American Hunter about the US Postal Service allowing HSUS to raise money selling stamps?

God Bless,
Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

MountainMafia

Mr. Bryd, NO he didn't poop, but he said he screamed and covered his head. :D

Glad you enjoy Colorado and the elk hunting. I sure do myself.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Tags: