big game licence

Started by farmboy, September 14, 2015, 06:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Felt lucky this year got tags for both a whitetail doe and a bill elk in the annual draw. That plus the general tags I hopefully should get at least one animal for the freezer.

gitano

Outstanding! Looking forward to hearing about (and seeing pictures of) dead animals! What rifles will you use for the deer and elk?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Thinking that over at the moment. Partridge season is open already I should go buy my license for them. I bought a bag of nickel plated shot I think they are number 6 s one of ballistic products loads for a twenty gauge mades 1650 fps with lil gun one oz of shot in a 2 3/4 case I think I should try building a box or two just to see how that works. The elk hun will either be the 350 mag or a 308 Norma. In lots of ways I would like to use the 350 i made it kind of heavy though when I had it built.  Not as young and not sure how bad I want to pack it. It is 11.5 pounds. It shoots well and I like the balance offhand. I do have to load ammo and do some sighting on any of them. Deer I am thinking about the 6.5 06 ackley. I have some of the original trophy bonded bullets. Back when Jack was running the company. Wondering about using that on everything. Thoughts? I have some partitions for it and some bonded core Remington cor loc if I remember correctly also some Speer grand slams.  I think when I get home I will have to look everything will be 140 grain.

gitano

I like the .350 Rem Mag for elk. I have one in a "Mohawk" that I took a small bull moose a few years back. It was a relatively close shot of about 35 yards, hitting him under the right eye as he looked at me. (Open sights.) He of course didn't know what hit him.

The 6.5 sounds good for deer. As I understand it, you have some pretty large deer 'up there', but it should be plenty for them as the 6.5x57 takes a lot of moose (thousands) in Scandinavia every year.

I 'like' nickle-plated shot, but it's pretty spendy around here, so I've never used any handloads made from it. 1650 f/s is pretty fast and should put 'em down with 'authority'! Do you have to buy a separate license for small game/birds?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

They have what they call a wildlife certificate you need that for everything then there is a upland game bird license then a duck and goose license and you also need a federal license for ducks and geese then each big game animal needs a license.

gitano

As you describe it, your "Wildlife Certificate" is our "License". Each of the "licenses" you list are our "tags".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Yes better way to put it but the federal government migratory Bird one is basically a license as well.

Tags: