Chronographs

Started by farmboy, November 04, 2015, 08:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

I bought a cheap chronograph yesterday wondering if I am doing something wrong or if I got what I paid for. Lol. I bought a crony Alfa. I shot five rounds of 22 long rifle ammo over it. Only three did I get a reading from . One was 1114 fps the next one was 1116 fps and the last one was 1618. I am think that was a miss read reading. I would guess that if it was that much faster  it should have sounded different etc or maybe not.  I had a cloudy day so I didn't setup the skyscreans. Maybe I needed them. Have I set it up with out enough care or do the just miss read once in a while or do you think that all those reading could be correct. It was Winchester  target ammo.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

1) You probably need the sky screens. I believe that is the problem.
2) Those of us in the Great White North have a bigger problem with the angle of the sun and getting our chronographs to 'catch' our bullets. Cloudy day and low angle sun means missed bullets.
3) I agree that the third bullet should have sounded different and probably felt different too if it was truly that much faster.

That chrony should give you pretty good readings except for fast, small, bullets like those from a .17 Rem or the like.

I would mention to be careful not to be too close to the chrony with your muzzle. The gasses that drive the bullet are moving WAY faster than the bullet, and when the bullet pops out of the muzzle, the gasses scream past it. If the muzzle is too close to the chronograph, those HOT gasses will distort the air and create shadows which the chronograph WILL respond to. That is often the cause of spurious high velocity readings. I would be 10 feet away from the chronograph as a minimum.

Paul

The model is an "Alpha" j0e_bl0ggs. "Shooting Chrony Alpha".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;141769What make of chrono?

Sorry spelling miistakes.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

farmboy

By they way I misspelled mistakes for a laugh.

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;141781By they way I misspelled mistakes for a laugh.
Well then, you succeeded, because I laughed at the above!
:MOGRIN:
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Not cast aspersions or anything, but this is a hunting forum.
If "mistakes" is to be misspelled, it should reflect a hunting theme.

As in "miss-steaks" or "missteaks."

:D

Otherwise known as "tag soup."

But hey, I'm only here for the fun of it!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

I like miss-steaks... Take that any way 'you' care to. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: Jamie.270;141786Not cast aspersions or anything, but this is a hunting forum.
If "mistakes" is to be misspelled, it should reflect a hunting theme.

As in "miss-steaks" or "missteaks."

:D

Otherwise known as "tag soup."

But hey, I'm only here for the fun of it!

The farmboy got out iq ed with that post! Lol that is truly funny!

farmboy

Did some sighting in and chronograph work. A custom 358 Norma loaded with225 grain bullet accubond read 2787. 270 wsm loaded with a factory federal 150 grain hollow point 3248 out of a Browning a bolt. And my Parker hale made 3187 with a bonded loc core 100 grain Remington bullet.

gitano

2787 f/s with a 225-grain bullet should have 'gotten your attention' I would think. That's almost 3900 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

And 3250 f/s from a .270 Win with 150-grain bullets ain't too shabby either!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

The 6 mm is the only one that showed any pressure signs and not to bad I will post a picture of the primers

gitano

That's great!

How'd they group?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: