Making My Own 8mm Jacketed Bullets

Started by gitano, January 10, 2013, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

Paranoid, just because 2 companies are whip sawing you for their economic benefit?
Now, now!
Surely they would not clobarate,(deliberate misspelling) against a customer!

;<)

Cute radii cutters, may just have to make one to play with.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Got the "limey" printed points today in mail (FedEx actually). THANKS, j0e_bl0ggs and brother!

Here is the first of them seating in the 8mm ANVB:

As you can see, there are some refinements to make. The first of which will be cutting about a quarter inch off of the extractor pin. I am also going to have to refine the core seating top punch again. The tenon on these is shorter in length and smaller in diameter than on the Cutting Edge tips. All in all, I think these will work just fine. And they have an 'interesting' look.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I called Dave Manson to ask him if he would do it, and his response was:

"We do all of our grinding between centers, and you would have to grind to a point, so we can't do it."

That makes sense, and would be a reasonable excuse for PTG too, except that I know that they make "tree burrs". If you can make a tree burr, you can make a bullet pointing reamer.

For those that haven't read the thread about making the point forming die for the .50 Alaskan or don't know what a "tree burr" is, here's a picture:

The price on eBay for this particular CARBIDE, half inch diameter, tree burr is $8.99. And I can't get a single one of these hotshot reamer makers to make something as simple as this. It makes me crazy!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

A little finessing needed to the ejector punch but we knew that was going to happen.
I like the fact that they deform rather than crumble!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the deformation that you see is happening during the forming/swaging operation, not during ejection. The small amount of force required to eject these bullets is surprising. I can't tell for sure, but I think the ejection rod is actually projecting into the bullet forming cavity a little bit. If it isn't, it is certainly exactly at the junction of the the "point" and the ejection hole.

IF we were to make any more points, the tenon should be strengthened by widening where it attaches to the head. It doesn't take much lateral pressure there, even after insertion into the bullet, to break it off.

I was expecting the points to be a bit hard/brittle. It was a pleasant surprise to find them "soft" and pliable.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Hopefully tough enough for some live testing!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Don, I don't remember what thread it was in that you asked about the BC of those .30 cal cast boat-tail spitzers you sent me, but here's the answer: about .451.

I get a weight without gas check of ~125 grains. With gas check: 127.5 grains. BC on gas checked is less (.424) because it negates boat-tail.

Paul

Oh yeah... That's at a velocity of 1800 f/s.
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Thanks, that should make an interesting medium velocity bullet, game or target.
I shall have to run some drop figures on it.
I knew the gc would negate the bt, but it  may be necessary if a certain barrel does lead or if I wanted to push it a bit.
I think water dropped, at BHN 25-30 would not  lead if kept below 2100-2200 fps, but shall have to try to be sure.
Sure cheaper than buying some of the now fictional .308 bt bullets.
If the chicken littles ever quit running about squealing and throwing money at anything doing with guns things may settle down some, but I do not expect prices to ever go down to the level of 5 months ago

:confused::toilet::angry:

gitano

I noticed that Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA has instituted a policy of restricting bullet purchases to 5 boxes per "event". (Some are 10 boxes, but most are 5.) MAYBE some other retailers will follow suit and we can stop the stupidity, but as you say, it will NEVER be back to what it was. After the last Obama scare, prices didn't go down one red cent.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Gitano, you may want to look at ;
pete@newenglandcustombullets.com
He reportedly sells special order jackets for swagers to play with and what I have read, is reliable.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

He quoted 32 cents apiece. (I didn't ask about quantity discounts.) Wall thicknesses of 0.016" and max length of 1.1". Is willing to send samples so I can order correct lengths for weights desired. Seems like a square guy.

I'll have to try my hand at making some jacket-from-tubing dies. If I can get 5/16ths "refrigeration" tubing swaged up to .338, I'll make my own jackets. Besides the cost savings, I can get wall thicknesses up to 0.035" easily.

Thanks, Don.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here is a picture of the 113 grain "black-tipped" ANVB, the 116 grain "print-tipped" ANVB, and the 132 grain "print-tipped" ANVB. The 113 has a caliber bearing surface length of 0.350", the 116 has a caliber bearing surface length of 0.250", and the 132 has a caliber bearing surface length of 0.400".

Here they are again, reverse order, with the Speer .30 caliber 130 grain bullet. (Sorry for the "fuzz". I got too close and I'm too tired of fooling with this stuff to take another picture.)

The 130 'grabs' the tenon of the printed tip better because the lead comes VERY close to the mouth of the jacket. I MIGHT be able to add 5 grains, but it might not fit. In other words, looks like 130-ish is the max weight for this jacket with the printed tips.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Look what that 130 does in the 23.25" barrel of the Long Throat. Pmax = 54,447 PSI.

Six inch vertical deflection - 1700+ ft-lbs at 300 yd and an impact velocity of 2400+ f/s. And of course these figures are from right on a timing node. Ain't too shabby even from a "short" barrel.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

MOM, for sure.
Although your moose adventures would seem to need nothing more than a .22 lr at the ranges you shoot them.

;)

Tags: