Map Reading

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), February 23, 2008, 05:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I did a computer search on this topic (with regard to youngsters) and was quite surprised that most of the articles were from the U.K.  I find this general lack of map reading might be a great disadvantage to youngsters whether they hunt, fish or just hike.  Perhaps it could also be detrimental to those who don't even go out in the woods.  Knowing your way around a city is fine... but you may have to leave sometime.

Here is a sample of one of the articles I found:

AN EXCITING mission to ensure pupils' map-reading skills are up to scratch has been welcomed by city schools.
As high-tech satellite navigation systems in cars and mobile phones have boomed in popularity and orienteering activities have fallen out of favour, there are fears that a generation of youngsters are growing up with a hazy sense of direction and an inability to get from A to B by following grid references.

But with a host of Peterborough schools signing up to Ordnance Survey's (OS) Free Maps for 11-year-olds initiative, which has just been launched for the fifth year, the signs are good that there is life in the good old-fashioned paper variety just yet.

Deacon's School in Queen's Garden is one of the first to sign up to the scheme.

Head of geography Jenny Brassington, said it was an essential "life skill".

"Maps are really important for children because they raise awareness of the space around them, which is what geography is all about.

"There are also a number of careers which require map reading, anything from the armed forces to planning and it is a life skill," she said.

She added that the introduction of satellite navigation had been a mixed blessing.

"The biggest threat to map-reading is still curriculum-based because we can't always get it in.

"The Geography Information System, for example, is the largest computer-based mapping tool and a vital aid to geography, so there is a place for technology like that.

"But reading in the proper sense is under threat as people no longer use maps to navigate around the country.

"However, new techniques still need to have traditional map skills in place."

The national mapping agency began distributing the free OS Explorer Maps to every year 7 pupil in the country in 2002 and it is thought that by the end of this year, a staggering 3.8 million children overall will have benefited by having a copy of their own to keep.

New research based on the initiative and published today, shows that the scheme has boosted geography lessons and fostered a greater enthusiasm and understanding of the technique within young people.

It also revealed that children who walk or cycle to school have higher standards of map-reading than those who travel by car as they have become more aware of their surroundings and go on to develop better skills.

The report, called Mapped Out, showed that the mapping knowledge of pupils in inner-city urban schools was poorer than those attending schools in rural area
s.

OS Spokesman Bryn Jones, said: "Research does suggest that children who walk to school have a greater understanding of map-reading than those who are taken by their parents in cars.

"This is because generally, children aren't let loose outside so much and so their map reading skills seem to be suffering.

"If children spend time away from home then their map skills improve and they get more of a sense of the world around them."

He added that with childhood obesity rates soaring because of our coach-potato culture, the initiative would also help promote physical activity by getting kids out exploring and advised people to use sat-nav devices as complementary to paper maps.

12 gauge

Hey Jay, I agree 100% with you that maps will help young hunters find prime hunting locations. When I took the Hunter's Safety course, they lectured about using a map and actually gave us a map to study and learn from, they also showed us how to use a compass.

There are many sites online that you can get or purchase topograpic maps in your area. It will help greatly in finding great hunting spots. But I agree with you Jay, learning to read a topographic map in your area and understanding the habits of Whitetail Deer will indeed increase your chance of nailing you a big buck! :biggthumpup:

God bless :angel:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

bowhunter 51

TerraServer-USA  is where I get most of my maps on-line....
Good post, Jay....I can't imagine life without map reading knowledge and
compass reading skills..........................................................................BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

Yes, I thouroughly enjoy map reading. got my first taste in PLDC for the army, it was fun to say the least. I went to fort dix and it must of been a 100 in the shade. Took me 6 canteens to find my four points. Good times!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: