Geese

Started by hailstone, May 05, 2007, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailstone

Went looking for Bears , but burned our exrta gas and so set up to catch geese. Often Bears will show up where birds are circling, thinking of food. We slept over with the birds as alarms, 'cause they landed at dusk (3am) and slept on thre mud...no Bears came along....
We tracked this guy, but never caugt up with him. My size 11 snowpacs next to 'em. looks 10 foot at least. Fat boy too, these pix were on ice, and he broke through all the crusted snow.
This guy was always ahead of us, and never broke his stride...didnt lay down either, ,,,,tough.

We always have an alternative to move to if somethings not panning out.
we limited out on Geese, and came home to give them away to elders, as fresh food, and the first shur sign that Spring is here, although early.
more gas and grub, and its out for more.

Shreing is the way to go, and Im gonna get a few more to put in the freezer.
They are so fat and Juicy right now you can fry them in their own greese

Alboy

Nice pictures.

Who is the hunting buddy?

What is your limit on canadians?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

bowhunter 51

Well....by golly, I'm speechless....87 degrees F. here right
now and waterfowling long since over....Ifn' I'd ever seen a
track like those, I'd freak-out....Just bought another bottle
of 100% Deet to keep tha skeeters from getting me, and
ya'll up yonder bust'n geese on the ice.....Cool, stuff........
Bet it was alot of fun, too.....Great pic's, hailstone...BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

hailstone

The Lady in the picture is my wife Agnes. My eldest daughter took the pict and my hunting partner was Joey, with his bro Dan stopping in on us..
Were allowed a Spring Subsistance hunt but the laws are vauge, so we go by fall bag limits, at 4 "dark Geese"a day , each and a bag of 8 in possessinn, but we give them away fast, as we are hunting for people in the village who are too old to hunt, and they give us gas through an elders support funding. My 13 y old daughter bagged out in 10 shots total, 4 for 4 on the second day.
 The pict is our combined catch, after we bagged out. Yesterday and today are the same, so Im done untill fall, as theres 9 in my house and my sons will hunt the ocean soon, well need freezer space.

Alboy

Wish I could get my wife to go goose hunting with me. It is not the shooting that bothers her but the mud crawling and wet weather. Now if i could offer the chance to play in the snow and drive a snowmobile I might get her to take me up on that.

Keep the stories and pictures coming. Fresh perspective is fun to read.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

hailstone

Just got a call back from the Fed's
  Spring subsistance hunt here has nobag limits.
 Nice to know. Ive been limiting my self. Now I can get a few more, as the possession limit is the same too.
 The wife jarrs them up, and well get a few for the freezer, and more for those Elders too old to hunt around much anymore.

My only limit now is jarrs, and thats a couple boxes, so I  I'll be done soon.

Gotta get them while their FAT

Might note that me and the wife have been hunting togather for 19 years, year around. Raised 7 kids mostly in seasonal camps and tents. getting her to follow along is no problem, as she joined me after I left earlier that day.

grayghost

Enjoyed the story and pics hailstone. If you ever get any Harlequin Ducks, post us a good pic. They are beautiful birds but we do not get them here.
Good hunting,
grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

Brydawg

Nice pic's. i spent some time in Alaska back in 93'. Hopin' to get back there again someday !

Smokepole

Very nice!! I can't even get my wife to eat wild game let alone go hunting with me. As far as a family member I'm waiting for my grandsons (ages 5 and 6) and hope they that an interest.

Tags: