7mm vs. 30.06 vs. 300

Started by buckman, February 15, 2005, 12:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckman

I have a question for everyone.  What are some thoughts on the 7mm, 30.06, and the 300 calibers?  

Also, what are some thoughts on the 7mm WSM vs the 7mm Ultra mag?  The same for the 300 WMS vs. the 300 ultra mag?  

I have decided to purchase a Savage rifle, but now between these three calibers.  

Thanks for your comments!

Buckman

Marlin917VS

"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Rohann

Yes the decision heavily relies on what your purpose of the rifle will be.

-Rohann

buckman

I will be using the gun for both deer and elk.

m gardner

Elk and deer can be handily killed with the 30-06 ,use premium bullets in it for elk. The cheap loads at Walmart for $11.00 a box and other plces as well make it cheaper to practice with than the others.God bless and good hunting.

Rohann

Any one of these are fine choices. You don't need the biggest, heaviest load to put down an elk; it can easily be taken down with a 7mm. It all depends on shot placement...

-Rohann

Hunterbug

I would probably go with the 30-06. I would deffinately stay away from the RUMs. They do not seem to be doing well in sales and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go away in a few years. This equals expensive and hard to find ammo. After the 30-06 a 300 Win Mag would be my second choice. Good luck and good hunting.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

teddy12b

I agree that it all depends on shot placement.  I have a 30-06 and I have taken it deer hunting several times.  I also have a 300 RUM and I wouldn't dream of using it on a deer at any range.  The 300 RUM is a great round, but is purely intended for game larger than deer.  I bought mine to use on Elk, Moose, and Bear.  I decided to go with a 300 RUM instead of the 300 win mag because the ballistics on this round are amazing.  It flys so fast and hits so hard that it would work well for anything on North America.  At the same time though, it all depends on shot placement.  Anyway, I can see what you're saying and I hope whatever you decide on you're happy with it because it's what you want.

Kanibal

Hey Teddy I was wondering if you have shot the 300 RUM very much yet and if so how is it in terms of recoil?  I hear they kick pretty good.  The case is based on a 404 Jefferies after all.

-Richard

M. R. Byrd

Richard-

I have a 300 RUM. It is a Browning A-bolt II Medallion. I really do not notice the recoil on it. If I shoot it off the bench I notice it more than when I use the Harris bipod. I have really been pleasantly surprised that it doesn't give me a sore shoulder.

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

quigleysharps4570

I'd go with the ole tried and true 06.

Shotgunhemi

I agree with quigleysharps4570, go with the .30.06. Easy to reload and a wide range of projectile weights to play with. Up to you though. Let us know what you decide on.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Brithunter

Hi All,

Although I rather like te 7mm in either 7x57 or 7x64, I do happen to think that perhaps, if you twist my arm that is:rolleyes:  that the 30 cal may pip the 7mm for bullet selection and so a wider range of use. So the 06 Springfield cartridge would most likely be my choice as it's probably even more versatile than the 300 WM.
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Red Trike

7MM Rem Mag or 30-06 for me...no 300 RUM, 300 Win Mag or latest and greatest WSM or stuff.

Recoil on a 300 RUM is roughly like being hit in the head buy a 35lb brick with just average for calibre velocities and its hard to find brass yet for the WSM's.

Lets not forget to mention the cost of powder for those rounds.

I have a 7MM Rem Mag 24 inch barrel. My newest load is a 139gr Hornady Interbond at 3400 ft/s and a 154gr IB at 3150 ft/s. It shoots a dime at 100 yds and a quarter at 200.

All velocities are through a Alpha Chrony. I haven't shoot an animal with it yet but few calibres hit as heavy as a 7MM at 400 - 500 yards or can be shot as often without developing a recoil flinch.

just my .02

BRT.

teddy12b

My 300 RUM is a Remington 700 BDL.  It has a nice thick rubber recoil pad and that really helps with the recoil.  It does have some kick to it but it's about the same as a 12 ga slug or 00 buckshot.  I haven't had mine for very long and I am still just following the barrel break in procedures.  In following these procedures I have only fired 17 rounds through it.  I havn't got a scope put on it yet and I probably won't until I've put 50-100 rounds through the barrel.  Another reason for the low amount of rounds through it is that I have been learning how to hand load ammo due to the high costs of it all.  The cost of the ammo is more of a drawback than the recoil of the rifle.  I have mostly fired mine off the bench and I notice the recoil then, but when shooting offhand It's just about like any other rifle in the world.

The way I see it, if I'm out hunting and I see an animal in my sights with this rifle I highly doubt that I will notice any recoil.  

It's a great caliber and I recommend it to anyone.

Rohann

I vote .30-06. One of the most widely used cartridges in N.America, and the ammo is a reasonable price.

-Rohann

Tags: