Loadign the .222 Remington

Started by Brithunter, November 02, 2009, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hmmmm thought I had started notes on this one but when I went to check them found that i had not even though I know I loaded afew rounds ages ago :confused:  so it looks like I am starting from scratch.

Cases are once fired Sako fired in this rifle which is my Baikal MH18 break action.

Bullets I have:-

Hornady 55 grn SP #2265
Hornady V-Max 55 grn #22271

Powders I am considering are:-

Reloader 12 & 15
IMR 4198
Hodgdon BLC-2

Now I know that BLC-2 works in .223 Rem as a friend used a load of 26.0 grns of it in his .223 Rem with Rem bulk 55 grn FMJ's and got good accuracy.

I have shooting Sako factory ammo as I don't really shoot the .222 Rem that much but that will change as I am getting a 2nd rifle chambered for the cartridge. Silly really as it's fairly cheap to shoot in these ever more expensive time.

So the intention is to make up several loads to try using both bullets and hopefully find a suitable accurate one. I shall start with BLC-2 and we shall see how things go.
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

BH, my choice for powder would be the 4198. I've used a ton of it in my first .222 and there were  no complaints. In my "new" .222 I'm using Benchmark with excellent results.

I was using 50 grain bullets in the other .222, but I'm using 40 grain Vmax's in the "new" one.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Brithunter

Hmmm well I have decapped the cases ready then struck a small snag, seems I did not get or have mislaid my Lee Auto prime shellholder for .222 :shy:  and I never got the small capper with my press as it was used. So I will have to go down the Gunclub and get a shellholder before priming them :Banghead: I will certainly try the 4198 and I can try it first.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

If I'm not mistaken, Hunterbug has a .222 he loads. You might see if you can roust him and see what he's loading.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

Brithunter, i know i'm getting off track here, but i'm currently in the market for a break action single shot and the M.H. 18 Baikal in 222 is on my short list, how have you found it so far?, cheers.

Brithunter

OK rather than take this post off topic we will start one on the Baikal model 18. No problem as there are some things I wish to discuss about them. Both rifles and the Shotguns as I have three of the Model 18 shotguns as well.

Meanwhile I will try and see if I cannot get to the gunclub this evening and get the Auto prime shellholder. Ahhh I just remembred somewhere I have a Lee Ram prime :shy: no I just have to find out where I put it :greentongue: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Hello BH. IMR4198. When I had one that I shot. I have a Sako 222 that was made in the mid 50's that remains nearly unfired. Still among the most inherently accurate calibers of all time. I shot DJV in Germany with a Vixen Heavy barrel.....the only rifle I ever owned that shot better than I could shoot....back in the day that is. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

branxhunter

Hello Brithunter.

I too am starting to load for the .222. At the moment I am testing loads for my Anschutz .222 and PH .243. I had a look at the ADI powders and chose AR2206H as it can be used for both cartridges - I think you have a .243 as well?? AR2206H is also marketed as H4895.

I tried my first .222 loads on the weekend - CCI primers and 50gr SP Remington projectiles. Loads were 20.0 gr up to 22.0 gr in 0.5 gr increments. The best 4 shot group at 120m was around 0.75" with 20gr of powder which is a very mild load - the loading tables available from the ADI website states around 2500 fps from a 24" barrel. Might be a good starting point for you. I will be trying for an accurate load that is a bit faster. The 21.5gr and 22.0gr loads were starting to close up again at around 1.25", and I am hoping that I can get up to 23.0-23.5 and continue to shrink the groups without signs of pressure.

I also have some .224 40gr v-max projectiles to load once I have finished tooling around with the 50 grainers.

In the .243 I was trying 58gr V-max projectiles - accuracy was OK but most groups had a flyer low and wide that opened groups up from around 1" to 2.5-3". Need to do a bit more testing on that one. I will also be loading some 75gr and 90gr projectiles when I get the time.

I'll get some photos of the groups to post to this thread.

Marcus

Brithunter

Hi There,

I suddenly remembered where I had put the Ram Prime so I have started to get on with the handloading. My first loads are using the Hornady 55 Grain V-Max over 18.5 Grains of IMR 4198 loaded to a COL of 2.208". This is the overall length which allows me to just set the cartridge into the chamber flush with the barrel removed off the action.

So in theory the bullet should be close to touching the leade. The powder charge is a mid way load and I hope to test fire them on the field Thursday as I doubt I will get time tomorrow.

Oh yes Branxhunter I do have a .243 but it's not on my licence for shooting something which is in the process of being changed as I am getting another .243 as well :biggthumpup: . It's the 6mm Rem that listed for shooting at the moment.
Go Get them Floyd!

branxhunter

Brithunter,

here are three websites that might be of use:

https://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=2756&caliber=.22&caliberid=5&header=.22%20Caliber%20Reloading%20Data

and:

https://www.reloadammo.com/222load.htm

and the hanloading guide for ADI powders (such as AR2207, AR2206H):

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/

And here are a few of the groups I shot on the weekend for both the .222 (blue aiming dots) and the .243:

Brithunter

Depending on weather I might get out to try the first of my .222 handloads in the morning. Have to drive south to meet up with Chris in the afternoon as he is having my Mauser M96 Slide Bolt 6.5x55 rifle off me to make room for others.

The P-H 1000 in .243 is I am told sighted in for Hornady 58 V-max factory ammo and the gamekeeper claims it shoots around 1/2" groups with thsi factory ammo ...................... we shall see :biggthumpup: . It's cold and wet tonight and they have been out gritting so we might get a frost and some icy roads.
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Hmmmm just fired 6 of the 10 loaded in a test at 25 then 50 yards. 1st shot was at 25 yards to check it was shooting on the target as the rifle is zeroed for the Sako factory ammo. I was pleased to find that this 1st shot clipped the side of the orange dot I used as an aiming point which is 1 1/8" dia. So I moved back to 50 yards.

2nd shot was just slightly higher but on same line so I adjusted the scope to bring POI nearer the centreline and pulled the 3rd shot :frown .This little test has shown up that the scope needs to go forward more for prone shooting which I cannot do, will have to give it some thought, but I fired a further 3 shots for a total of 6 on target all shots felt fine except the pulled one and report is quite mild as one would expect from .222 Rem.

However on careful examination of the cases cratered primers were noted and measuring the case expansion then comparing it to the other cases waiting to be loaded case expansion is too much at 0.002". Once again I vow to get a Chronograph :stare: .

Oh my dies are Lee Collet dies so they don't touch the area of the web only the neck. I will of course have to get a Full length sizer now I am getting another .222 rifle unless I keep the cases segregated that is.

Load was :-

QuoteHornady 55 Grain V-Max over 18.5 Grains of IMR 4198 loaded to a COL of 2.208".

So in my rifle at least. 18.5 grains is too much so I try 18.0 grains at the same COL and see how that goes. The grouping was not very good either :( with the 5 shots at 50 yards making a group 1" high by 1.45" wide. OK the shooting position was not the best, I need to sort out something better!,

Measurements were taken at first with my Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE- DIGIMATIC 150mm caliper then verified with a Moore & Wright 0-1" micrometer that is graduated in tenths (0.0001").

Ahhh Gitano these Digital calipers don't eat batteries BTW :)
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

Sounds like you are on track BH. My triple deuce didn't like big charges of 4198 either. As I recall (using 50 grain bullets) I was running 19.5 grains of 4198. 18 grains would be "about the same" pressure wise with the 55 grain bullet.

I don't recall you ever showing us pictures of this new .222 old boy, hows about a peek see??

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

I think RJ is right on track. We want pictures! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Ok 2nd attempt .......................... ruddy ISP ...grrrrrr :Banghead:

Sorry chaps no piccies as yet as I have not paid it off yet plus I only moved the two other rifles off my ticket yesterday and have not got my licence back with the open slots yet so I can pick it up. However once I do collect it photos will follow :) so at the moment I only have the MH18 Baikal which is featured in another thread .

The other .222 rem is a BSA Hunter of 1956 vintage. The hunter came in three action lengths and the .222 of course uses the short action. Hunters also have a non rotating Mauser extractor unlike the later push feed models.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: