Remington's "Nylon 11"

Started by recoil junky, April 05, 2010, 09:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Made for only 2 years, from 1962-64, Remington's "Nylon 11" was short lived. It's DuPont Zytel-101 stock was the first synthetic stock offered on a rifle (Nylon 66 in 1958). The "Mohawk Brown" stock was heavily checkered on the enlarged (almost Weatherby like) pistol grip and on the fore end. It had a signature "white diamond" below the receiver, to compliment black fore end and grip cap. The bolt was equipped with a flat chrome plated "Manlicher" style handle.

Mine is topped by the original Bushnell Banner scope.

I also have a 10 round clip that just "showed up" one day. Dad didn't buy it (he said) so I'm not sure who the culprit was.

The clip fed bolt action rifle had a certain appeal to this kid when he was 5 years old, as it was my first real gun. Of course, Dad had to be there when it was being shot. When I was ten or so I was allowed to go "solo". A great number of ground squirrels have met their demise with this rifle. In the last 45+ years it hasn't missed a sagerat or p'dog hunting trip. It's accuracy has faded a bit, but it can still  "put a gopher's eye out" at 30 yards.

The only numbers I can find are these on the r/s of the barrel.

Oh, it never saw any "shorts" or "longs". It was fed a steady diet of Federal Highpower long rifles or Remington's Super Speed hollow points.

I've never seen another Nylon 11 anywhere, although I've seen several Nylon 66's in all their "designations" except the lever action.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Super cool 11. Here is another rare one.....the Seneca green 66. Also made for about 2 years around 1959.....nobody bought them because they were green.....everyone liked the Mohawk brown ones.:) Regards, Rick.

These rifles were so far ahead of their time. My neighbor Kenny has an old black diamond that he swears has had 25,000 rounds through it and still functions like new!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Rick,

I had for a few years an old Nylon 66 Mohawk and I am sorry to say it was awful. The pin retaining the firing broke every few weeks. I started replacing it with cut up allen keys. Then one day whenI took it apart to clean and discovered a bulged that had radial cracks all around it :eek: in the barrel under that stock covering. Not visable when assembled :stare: . Eventually after much hassle with the importers a new replacement barrel was obtained but by then I had just about had it with the problems so part -exed it for a new CBC version which was dreadful.

That went soon too and I brought a well used Anshutz 64 junior rifle then after a few years I got my first BSA and the rest is History as they say.
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

I've got a Nylon 66 in great shape that I paid $20 for. It's my rabbit hunting gun and it's wacked a few bunnies. Very accurate and works like a charm.

Mental note: NEVER buy a gun from Brithunter! When it comes to guns if it weren't for bad luck........
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hey HB,

It's just that usually my budget is so low. I paid £15 for the Nylon 66 although it ended up costing me more over the years and yes I kept it for a few years until I had enough of the problems. I would hate to guess the amount of ammunition it had seen through it. The CBC was just poorly made. I should have known better :Banghead: it was brand new it functioned OK but accuracy was non existant but as it fed and went bang it seems it met with their Q/C standards.

Now your quite welcome to come over and try a few of my "toys" out and you can see for yourself that my luck ain't all bad.

Heck we have hunting all year. No close season on Wabbits and the only day you cannot hunt deer is Christmas day :greentongue: . We are currently in the beginning ofRoe Buck season which started April 1st, Red and Sika stags are still open until April 30th, Fallow Buck again until April 30th and Muntjac have no close season at all.

Not to mention the Pigeon shooting for crop control, again no season and no bag limits, I don't have any decoys or a hide but I am sure we could sort something out and I even have a a 12B or two about the place :biggthumpup: so you would have the choice of a single barrel a SxS, an O/U or a Browning Auto Five. Only the unfired new/old BSA Single Twelve is off limits as it has not been shot since it was proofed before being finished at the factory.

I am sure we could find something to your liking in my cabinets :smiley: .

Of course stalking I have to pay for as I don't have my own ground as such :shy: . Oh I am off for a days Roe Buck Stalking next Thursday to Yorkshire.
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

BH, I'm just razzin ya! My budget is usually pretty low too but I have the advantage of being able to shop pawn shops and buy from private parties with cash and a handshake. there's something to be said for that.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LvrLover

The first new 22 I got was a Nylon 77. It had removable magazines otherwise the same as the 66's. It ate everything I stuffed in it and was plenty good for squirrels and rabbits. Got in a pinch in school and sold it. The guy I sold it to still has it and still uses it and won't sell it back to me. Easy to clean. Open up, spray off with cleaner, reassemble, done.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: