Terms

Started by drinksgin (deceased), March 28, 2014, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

It would appear certain terms are flexable, light rust, being one.
I picked up 2 barrels for possible future projects, both went for $30, with shipping, both claimed light surface rust, one is almost like new, the surface rust was a small streak where the barrel had contacted the stock, bore looks like new, a really nice barrel with very good blue.
On the other hand, after about 30 minutes of steel wool, I actually found a bit of blue, roto rooted the bore, fairly good rifling, 4 lands and grooves.
The chamber is never going to clean up, deep pitting and a real mess.
Oh,well win some, get done sometimes.
I did finally find a few marks on the barrel, still 10 tpi square threads, I shall post the measurements, think it was .30-06.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

drinksgin (deceased)

No one has even a WAG what the markings mean?

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

The circle with the wings is a marking I have seen on Enfield M17s, not sure if it was a Winchester or Eddystone. I'm sure Rick or BH may be able to shed some light.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

drinksgin (deceased)

I am going to try to get pictures of the marks.
On another forum, some have said they think it is a 1903 barrel, I had no idea the Springfield action used square threads.
Oh, well.

sakorick

Here is the Eagle proof on a 1917 with the inspector's number.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

drinksgin (deceased)

Thanks, I shall research that some more.

sakorick

Sounds like a 30-'06 barrel and one of your drawings looks like a OC proof.

drinksgin (deceased)

Several people on several forums have all said 1903.
It seems what I thought were crab claws are eagle heads.
As there were no sights and it has gov. marks, it seems it would be a '03-04 sniper rifle barrel, as those were the only ones made without sights .
Too bad it is in such bad shape.
Thanks for the help.

sakorick

I doubt it. The WWII 1903/A3 barrels didn't have any Eagle stamps on them. Here is a Remington barrel made in July 1944. Yours sounds like a much older barrel perhaps 1910? A picture would help. Regards, Rick.

drinksgin (deceased)

I shall try to take a picture tomorrow, however, the markings are not in good shape and I do not know how well a picture is going to come out.
I cannot find any evidence there was ever a front sight, surely they did not just stick something on, I would expect at least some soft solder.
Do you know of any other '03 barrels that did not have a front sight?

Jamie.270

AFAIK, the only '03s that were built without front sights were destined for sniper use.

Maybe Paul will chime in.  I believe he knows something about the '03-A4s
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Probably not as much as Sakorick does, and Rick also has some good reference books.

I don't think ANY '03s were manufactured without sights. As far as I know, all the A4s (snipers) were issued as A3s, "inspected", and those that "passed" were designated to BECOME A4s' which included removal of the front sight. However, I wouldn't argue with anyone that asserted differently.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

All US 1903/A3, M 1917, M1 Carbine and Garand front sights were built the same way. The front of the barrel had a key way milled into the top of the barrel. The front sight base also had the keyway milled into the bottom. It slid over the key which locked it permanently in place. The Remington M1903A4 sniper rifle did not have a front sight, however, the keyway is there milled into the barrel. Regards, Rick.

drinksgin (deceased)

How would  they remove it without leaving even a trace of it's previous installation?

Tags: