Greeting from Tenn.

Started by bobcat444, November 03, 2010, 02:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcat444

Very eclectic group of Members here. From every corner of the Planet looks like!
Well I'm afraid my hunting days are over. Eyesight has slowly deteriorated to where it just ain't as much fun anymore. I have reloaded about every Caliber/Gauge that I've shot  so I do have experience in that field.  My Favorite Revolver Cartridge has to be the .41 Mag. Accurate, moderate recoil, and easy to reload. And yes, I've had numerous .44 Mags, and a .444 SuperMag. The .41 is an over-achiever.  AND, the most under-appreciated Pistol Cartridge, namely the .41 AE is a fav in the autoloader class. Way better than the .40 S&W in every way.
Second only to the venerable .45 ACP defense-wise IMHO.
Now as for the Premier White-tail Cartridge; 7mm-08.  OR, 7mm BR if you like to Pistol hunt.  Either of these cartridges produce exceptional accuracy and minimal recoil.  I always appreciated an efficient cartridge design  and I believe all these qualify.  Haven't kept up with the latest and greatest so I'm sure there have been amazing developments in the last 15 years.  And of course, added cost to go with those advances.

Jamie.270

Hello and welcome aboard bobcat444!
Hope to have a .41mag myself someday!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

davidlt89

welcome aboard bobcat444!!!!! sounds like you have some experience to bring to the table, look forward to hearing it.
QuoteVery eclectic group of Members here. From every corner of the Planet looks like!
Yes!!!! we even let people from Australia in, if you believe that:grin:. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Fieldmor77

Quote from: davidlt89;108848Yes!!!! we even let people from Australia in, if you believe that:grin:. God bless.

And i'm one of them, G'day mate and welcome.

RatherBHuntin

Welcome to THL, glad to have you.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

Welcome to THL,...bobcat...........Glad to have you......................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

From your post, bobcat444, sounds like you'll fit right in here. We like people with opinions, and we know how to get along even with all those varying opinions.

I must admit that I may not have even ever shot a .41, let alone owned or reloaded for one. I'm not much of a 'pistolero' and having found that I like the performance my .44 Mag loaded with light-for-caliber 180 HPs, I haven't looked around for much of anything else. Drinksgin got me looking at and interested in the .44-40, and I recently bought a couple of .45 Colt revolvers. And I absolutely love my Service 1911.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had to give up hunting. That would hurt me.

Welcome to THL,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Welcome bobcat!!!

Yup, quite a few"furrenners" in these parts, even some from Maine :grin: and Kalifornia and one from Alaska :clown:, but we all seem to get along.

Your reloading/hunting/shooting knowledge is very welcome here. Feel free to share!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

bobcat444

Thanks for all the responses.  I had about come to the conclusion that Hunting was a dwindling pastime but nice to hear it has some participants all-over the globe.
    I guess when it comes to weapons and cartridges we all have at least one favorite.  I've always tried to match the perfect cartridge and weapon to the game I was going after.  The 357 Mag. was too light and the 357 Max(yeah I had one) was tooooo loud! And inaccurate. It's a given that the .44 Mag is a more versatile weapon for the reloader, and I have had several.  .44 Specials are excellent choices for home defense and 300 grain Magnum loads are adequate in Bear Country.  And handloading allows anything in between.
But all the .41's were more accurate, gave better penetration, with milder recoil.  That was my experience from several years back.  Guess the .41 Mag is about obsolete by now with all the new choices available.  

Tags: