No.1 Forearm Takedown Nut

Started by gitano, September 11, 2022, 05:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Nice to get back to making 'gun stuff' on my lathe. Plus I got tired of paying "too much", ($8  + shipping), for something that I could make for almost nothing!

It was that little cylindrical nut that the forearm screw engages in order to secure the forearm to the 'hanger'. Diameter is 0.313"; length is 0.500"; hole is threaded for 10-32 screw. By making the OD to closer tolerances than the factory does, the nut is a snug fit in its recess and doesn't 'roll around' as you're trying to screw the forearm into it blindly. On one of my No.1s, I have to tape the piece in so I can get it lined up to accept the screw.

All this because Paul Hoskins sold one of his No.1 actions to me. :D

At the moment, I'm contemplating what barrel to put on it. jOe_blOggs has suggested the .220 Swift, and I'm kinda liking that idea. I have a No.3 .22 Hornet bbl, a No.3 .45-70 bbl, and a No.1 .308 Win bbl. It ain't gonna be the. 45-70. I've got enough Hornets. I think. And enough .308 Winchesters too for that matter, but I LIKE the .308 Win., and 'a barrel in the hand'...

I've also been looking at some .25 caliber hot rods, like the .25 WSSM, and the .25 Pronghorn, (which is the .25/.300WSM), which can push an 85-grain Accubond over 4000 f/s! Yeehaa! (But the 110 delivers more energy farther out.) So... We'll see what actually happens.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I was paper whipping different cartridges in QuickLOAD when I remembered that I have brass and dies for the .22 Remington Jet Magnum. Compared to the Swift, the Jet is positively pedestrian, but then so is almost every other cartridge. Nevertheless, this little cartridge intrigues me to some degree. I'm just not sure I want to 'waste' a No.1 action on a "pistol" cartridge. However, Hornady makes a 45-grain, .22 caliber, "Hornet" bullet (#2230) that would be 'perfect' for this cartridge. The 35-grain V-Max too. Still...

See attached image of cartridge next to .22 rimfire.

By the way... Since I will be using a No.1 action, and[/B] the cartridges I am considering aren't physically 'large', I'll be running them right up to their max pressures. The No.1 action is very strong, and it's a single shot, (meaning that I can seat the bullets "way" out), so, like I said, I'll be running them 'hot'.    

Paul

PS - Ammo still being manufactured by Prvi Partizan: https://gunprime.com/products/prvi-partizan-ppu-22-remington-jet-magnum-45-grain-soft-point-box-of-50-rounds
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: