My first blackpowder

Started by Hunterbug, April 16, 2012, 11:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noyb72

If your up for something different, I just finished two 1800's books on hunting in Africa and the Dutch 10 bore was the go to gun for everything up to dangerous game. I know that you have a smooth bore, but good tight slugs should be good for 50-70 yards.

Ron

gitano

For reasons I'll let HB explain, I am now getting the 10 ga and he'll be shooting the 12. My interest is primarily in round ball, so I'll be using what comes out of this: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1204/1/MOLD-BAG-760

I'm hoping I can get it to shoot these things straight out to 50-70 yd. Should 'leave a mark' on a moose.

With the purchase of the boat, I will be getting some more fowling opportunities so I'll be working on loads for shot too. After I get it shooting, I'll be post some patterns. What range would y'all suggest for starters for patterning?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Gitano wanted me to go back and grab the 12ga that the store had for him. The more that I handles the 12ga the more I fell in love with it. And since it's a little better for my needs, the 10ga is on it's way to Alaska and I'm keeping the 12ga.  When the package arrive Gitano will have to take a picture of the powder and shot scoop that I made for the 10ga. I forgot to before I sent it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Alboy

Paul the answer to your question for starters are in this post.

Primarily strat with the shot load you want to throw and cut a shot shell down to that size. Then you have your powder measure.

I recommend you start with over shot cards one guage larger (9). Use three over the powder andthen 1 over the shot. Nothing else till you see how that patterns.

2F black powder is my prefered but 3F or 777 work the same with a little more energy.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Thanks, Al. I have another question for you.

The nominal diameter of the bore of a 10 ga is 0.775". Track of the Wolf, (hereafter TotW), has a "Primitive Scissors Mold" http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1204/1/MOLD-BAG-760 that is supposed to throw a 0.760" round ball (RB).

My question of you is: "Is 0.760" too large for the 10 ga bore?"

Let me quickly add that I will be making no purchases based on "nominal" bore dimensions. I won't buy anything until I get the 10 ga in hand and measure it for myself. The question is really about the  'concept' of round ball dimension relative to bore dimension. When I got the flintlock pistol, I purchased the 'recommended' RB molds. They were WAY too small - 0.600" for a 0.635" bore. I ended up ordering a 0.615" (I think that is the dimension, might have been 0.620") mold from a fellow in England. The RBs from that mold work great.

Lyman has a 0.735" mold, but of course they are very proud of it. Most places I looked it was over $80. I found it for $66 at Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846989/lyman-1-cavity-bullet-mold-735-diameter-round-ball?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc TotW's "Scissor" mold is $40, the English fellow's mould would be about $50 before shipping from Great Britain.

I suppose the practical question becomes should I get the TotW $40 0.760" mold, or the Lyman $66 0.735" mold?

Feel free to 'wax poetic'. ;)

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Paul

Since we talked I checked and do not have a 10 gauge round ball mold.

Before having the Britain make a special I would try a few tricks with what is available off the shelf. Like going to a heavy over powder set. Something like a .125 card then a cushin wad (half to three quarters inch thick with a patched round ball for a 12 gauge with the patch thick enough to keep it centered going down the barrel. Using a plastic shot cup instead of patching is a possibility too. Be inventive (like I had to tell you that) remember the guys who had to do these way back when just had to make it work so simple solutions usually do.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Excellent point about an over-powder wad, Al. Not too excited about a plastic shot cup, but I would do it if I had to. Probably would order the custom mold first. His prices are actually quite reasonable. I think about the price of the Lyman before shipping.

Food for thought though. I'll mess with the over-powder wads first.

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here is a picture of the "accouterments" that HB sent along with the 10ga.

The shot and powder scoop is very cool. It's a deer antler tine attached to a copper pipe plumbing cap. The plastic vials will be used for pre-loaded powder and shot charges, so my reloading can go from being measured in 'geologic time' up to 'glacial speed'. :) I would hope the use for the wads would be obvious, however, as Al pointed out above, that a good, tight cushion wad, normally used for buffering the impact of the exploding powder from the shot, should be a good bore-seal behind a round ball (RB) that was a bit 'loose' in the bore. I think that is a great idea! The muzzles on the 10ga are 0.768" on both sides. The RB mold options that are readily available to me without special order are 0.760" which is a bit tight, and 0.735" which is a bit loose. These wads may allow me to use the 0.735" RBs (with thick patches) effectively ("accurately"). Now all I need are some percussion caps. I think I can get those at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

I'll start my own 10ga thread when I get something to post.

Paul

PS - Sportsmen's Warehouse has percussion caps in sizes 10, 11, and "musket".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Start with 11 size caps, if they are loose just pinch the sides in a little. Then later get the 10's. If your nipples require 11's and you buy 10's you wont be shooting with out an extra trip to the store.

Also in regard to even needing a cushin wad in BP, you will find the loads more of a push than a kick and not necessarily in need of that extra cushin.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

QuoteAlso in regard to even needing a cushin wad in BP, you will find the loads more of a push than a kick and not necessarily in need of that extra cushin.

That is in regard to "shot" right? I thought I understood you to recommend the cushion wad for the "small" RB.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Sorry to create the confusion you are correct about the round ball
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

buckshot roberts

:bowdown:Bug, good deal, can't wate to see some post ths hunting season.....
I have been looking for a BP in .32 to use on some game.........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: