Marooned on a desert Island......pick you firearm!

Started by kombi1976, December 24, 2008, 04:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which firearm would you take if marooned on a desert island?

mall calibre pistol
1 (2.3%)
arge calibre pistol
0 (0%)
ingle shot or bolt action rimfire rifle
2 (4.7%)
ump, lever or semi auto rimfire rifle
1 (2.3%)
ingle shot or bolt action centrefire rifle
9 (20.9%)
ump, lever or semi auto centrefire rifle
10 (23.3%)
hotgun
12 (27.9%)
lack powder long arm
0 (0%)
imfire/shotgun combination
3 (7%)
entrefire/shotgun combination/drilling/veirling
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

windywales

by the way, a shootin' ar'n wouldn't be my first choice of companions i'd want on that deserted island.  windy

country boy

In my opinion the 223 is nothiing  more than a small game/varmit round.  Although we use a 22 rimfire to butcher beef here (head shots from 12 to 24 inches) you don't find that kind of opportunity much in the real world.  

The army picked the 5.56 mm for the reason of being able to carry lots of ammo and a small light rifle.  Good thing you have the extra ammo because it usually took more than one round to put the bad guy down even with good hits.  I knew many G.I.'s that rued the day they had to turn in thier M-14's with the 7.62 rounds for the matel toy and the pipsqueek 5.56

If a rifle is what you have to pick than I agree with the 308 win or the 30-06 but for all around the good old 12 gauge shotgun is hard to beat.  Shot shells mean small game and slugs and buckshot for everything else.

The idea of the combo guns is great also.  The only ones I have seen here are 12 or 20 gauges over 22 rimfire or 30-30 win.

oldvernie

I've got an old 25-20 that has seen everything from mule deer and beaver on down through several other little fuzzy wuzzys and sage grouse for dinner. I use Win.680 for power and the Remington 86gr slugs and have had one shot kills on everything including the deer. The ammo is smaller than the 223 and the 86gr slug @ 1895 packs about 675 ftlbs at the muzzle. I haven't needed much more than that.
I might see what LilGun will do in a 357 B92... that might change my mind about the caliber, but not much else.

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

oldvernie

Browning model 92 - exactly like the Winchester, except for the gold trigger.

kombi1976

Ahhh, right.
I have a Martini Cadet chambered to 25-20 and although I haven't used it for medium or big game loaded with Hornady 75gr HPs or Turton 75gr FPHBs it is very effective on small game and predators.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

country boy

I've got an old model 92 winchester in 357 mag with a 158 grain speer flat point bullet on top of win 296 powder I have killed deer, coyotes, and a ton of hedge apples.  It is a great deer rifle but I like the model 92 winchester in 45 long colt better.  With a 300 grain speer bullet it has killed deer, wild hogs, and a coyote or two.  I have also killed deer with an AR-15 and like I said, I have killed 1000 lb steers with a 22 long rifle rim fire.  It's not neccessarily the size fo the round but where you put the bullet.  
I am just saying that if I had to have one gun for everything and it was a rifle that bigger, it would seem to me, would be better as long as you could place the bullets where you need to.

country boy

I forgot to add that I do have a 25-20 in a winchester 92.  I have never shot deer with it but the rifle has accounted for a lot of rabbits, squirel, coyotes, and a ground hog or two.  I like the old model 92.  It is short, handy, accurate, and fun to shoot.  Reloading ammo keeps the cost down.  I don't know if I would ever use the rifle to shoot deer but am sure it would do the job just fine if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

whacker1

I chose the centerfire/shotgun combination - but would have chosen a bow if had the choice.  No one said anything about ammunition - and I can make some shady arrows - I don't know how to make powder, brass, primers - I can make bullets, but probably not on an island.

Mauserfan in TX

This is what i would hope to have with me. I call it my Hawg Assault Weapon. If not, i guess i would second the notion of the good old stick and string
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Steve D

Having one myself, I would have to say that I recognize it.  :biggthumpup:   The different shape of the magazine identifies it.  Mine does not have a scout scope, but a red dot mounted on a receiver mount, which blocks removal of the bolt, unfortunately.  :o   Mine doesn't have the extra paint.  It's strictly black.  If anyone knows where to get a 5 shot magazine for it, I would love to hear about it as the authorities here frown on hunting with a 10 shot magazine.:o
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Mauserfan in TX

It is indeed an Ishpore. I posted it in the firearms section as well. You may try Numrichs gun parts for an extra mag.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

jesusgecko

I'd just shack up with the Island chief's daughter,  and then let THEM do all the work!!!

Life as royalty on a tropical island sounds quite grand dunnit???
Normality is for the weak.

kombi1976

Is THAT why Helen Clarke's husband married her? :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: