Basic Fur Trade Canoe Info

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 17, 2008, 10:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This information is simply a guide line and gives you an insight into canoe construction.  It is meant to show that canoe construction was laborious and made by skilled craftsmen who brought the art to a fine point.  Compared to todays moderate to low end canoes... they were extremely high tech.  

The materials used in modern high end canoes simply duplicates what was produced for hundreds of years.  The only difference being in that the bark canoes were somewhat fragile.  The need to make the canoe as light as possible (for obvious reasons) would control the materials as well as the ability to fashion the curves that were necessary.

[FONT="]                  
[/FONT]
[FONT="]
"The building of a six-fathom or "North" canoe generally takes place under a shed erected for the purpose, where there is a clear, level space and plenty of working room. Two principal stakes are driven at a distance apart of thirty-six feet, the length of the craft to be. These are connected by two rows of smaller stakes diverging and converging so as to form the shape of the canoe. The smaller stakes are five feet apart at the center. Pieces of birch bark are soaked in water for a day and no more, sewn together with wat-tap---the roots of cedar or spruce gathered in spring---placed between the stakes with the inside down, and then made fast. The well-soaked ribs are then put in place and as soon as they are loaded with stones the bark assumes its proper form. The gunwales, into which the ends of the ribs are mortised, are bound into position with wat-tap. The thwarts are next adjusted. The stones and stakes are then removed; the seams are covered with a mixture of one part grease to nine parts spruce gum; the craft is tested, and is held in readiness for its maiden voyage."

The strength and endurance of the voyageurs was legendary. It was expected that each voyageur work at least 14 hours a day, paddle 55 strokes per minute and be able to carry two bundles across each portage between the lakes and rivers of the north woods. A bundle generally consisted of beaver pelts or other furs weighing about 90 lbs. on the way to Montreal, or 90 lbs. of trade goods coming from Montreal. A routine, portage meant carrying 180 pounds across rugged terrain full of rocks mud, mosquitoes and black flies. At approximately every ½ mile the voyageurs had a posé where the packs were set down and they ran back to get 2 more. They also had the "privilege" of carrying the bourgeois (or gentleman) in or out of the canoe since it was unacceptable for gentlemen to get his feet or clothes wet!

There were two classes of voyageurs: the mangeurs de lard  (pork eaters) and the hivernants (winterers). The pork eaters paddled from Montreal to Grand Portage for the rendezvous and back. The winterers paddled from the interior to Grand Portage for the rendezvous and back. In the two classes of voyageurs you have three types, the avant (bowsman), gouvernail (steersman) and the milieux (middle man). Because of the skill and experience required, the bowsman and steersman were paid twice the rate of the middleman.
[/FONT]
[FONT="][/COLOR][/U][FONT="][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]

Brithunter

Hi Jay,

Saw this and thought of a programme we watched on the TV the other evening about Ancient Boats. It seems a bit up the coast from here they were building boats for trade 4000 years ago and they have built a replicar from the remains of one discovered in the estuary mud of the Humber River:-

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Replica-boat-paddles-off-on.921180.jp

It looks a little like a canoe however it had a small mast and sail and was made of wood and it seems they actually traveled to Europe across the lower part of the North Sea, across the Wash and English Channel to trade. A French axe head was discovered there dating from the same period.

For many years they had surmised about Stonehenge and how the stones were transported from Monmouth in Wales to Wiltshire. A few years ago a loaded wooden dug out was discoved sunk in the River Seven's estury and the stones were the same as those used in Stonehenge.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jay Edward (deceased)

I'm not surprised about the Stonehenge angle BH.  I was greatly impressed with Stonehenge years ago and picked up Hawkins book.  I'm not sure if he is still regarded as an authority over there but it seems to me I saw a documentary that mitigated some of his theories.  (Of course the same can be said of Leaky)

Then I discovered Fajada Butte and the 'sun dagger'.  It was closed off by the time I got there but I did visit Chaco Canyon.  That was really worthwhile as it opened up my eyes about a great deal of pre-history and the mysteries thereof.

I've noted with great glee how the anthropologists and archaeologists have finally admitted to an explanation other than the 'land bridge' from Russia.  Kennewick Man has also peaked my interest and I much appreciated the ruling that let the remains be studied.

I am a great believer in a pre-modern history, sophisticated civilization existing and being buried.  The book 'Forbidden Archeology' must open anyone's eyes.

Brithunter

I have always loved history but as I got older I am not convinced by a lot of what is being told or presented to us by the experts. I actually have a cousin who is a reknowned Archeologist but after seeing her on a Bronze Age site near Peterbough (Flag Fen) it made me wonder even more :undecided: . In fact saw her on the TV the other evening talking about the ancient fens just south of here and how they were changed by draining. They call her Maisie, fellow students named her that because she is so bossy after a newspaper cartoon charecter however her given name was Valerie.

I do think that previous civiliastions were not as primative as perhaps we think or are led to believe.
Go Get them Floyd!

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: Brithunter;79079I do think that previous civiliastions were not as primative as perhaps we think or are led to believe.
I think you may be correct
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: