Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mines1

Hi
I will post some pics, have to get the rifle out of the safe. The bolt shroud is not polished and there is no gold trigger. Don't know regards import as I bought it secondhand and previous owner was not the first. No letter prior to the serial no either. Trigger group has Parker Hale, England, 98/148 on it and Mag (internal 3 or 4 round?) has Parker Hale, England, 98/124 on it. Also next to the view code under breech are the following 2 lines - line 1)  .270" win 2.54" and line 2) 19 tons per Square (symbol) ".

I will go and get pics now.

Thanks
Doug

Mines1

Parker Hale pics. Also inside of the breech are the letters "R" at 11 o'clock and "S" at 5 o'clock.
Thanks

[ATTACH]8911[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8912[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8913[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8914[/ATTACH]

RatherBHuntin

Mines1, I do like the look of that rifle.  It's a beauty.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

j4570

Mines1,

The rifle appears in good shape.  This might be a Parker Hale Midland????  Has Parker Hale Mounts?  Hard to find rings over here in the US.

I thought those were a different action, maybe 1903 Springfield style???

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will reply.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Yep it's a Midland rifle made by Parker-hale and has a Springfield 03 type bolt. Oh the year is 1979.

Now if you let me know what size scope you want to use I will see what I can find mounts wise. Cannot promise anything but I will ask a few places which may be able to help.

Oh P-H also made a model 1000 std which had a similar styled stock, not sure if they exported that one to the US, and you don't seem to see many of them either. Wouldn't mind one for the collection so will have to keep my eyes and ears open for a good one.
Go Get them Floyd!

Mines1

Thanks all

This .270 was purchased in Australia. Does that make a difference? The scope mounts are genuine Parker Hale and I have scope rings to suit. I forget the numbering but it is something like A30 and A40? They are not mounted at the moment as the Tasco Lumina 6X40 scope that was mounted had the inner tube detach from the crosshairs tube during a hunt. I have repaired it but will now mount it to a .22 and have purchased a new Tasco world class 3-9 X 40 to replace it.

Mines1

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;67241Mines1, I do like the look of that rifle.  It's a beauty.

Thanks mate, it is definitely a workhorse with a few dings in it. It has taken quite a few feral camels in it's life, with a few more to come yet.

Mines1

Quote from: Brithunter;67252Hi All,

Yep it's a Midland rifle made by Parker-hale and has a Springfield 03 type bolt. Oh the year is 1979.

Now if you let me know what size scope you want to use I will see what I can find mounts wise. Cannot promise anything but I will ask a few places which may be able to help.

Oh P-H also made a model 1000 std which had a similar styled stock, not sure if they exported that one to the US, and you don't seem to see many of them either. Wouldn't mind one for the collection so will have to keep my eyes and ears open for a good one.

BH

Looked up the models of Parker Hale and couldn't find reference to a Midland rifle? Mainly all numerical models listed. Maybe my rifle is the 1000 std?

Whoops, sorry mate just saw that after the numerical reference was the rifle name - as I said in an earlier post - not the sharpest knife in the block. So it makes it a model 2100 or model 2800?

Thanks
Doug

sakorick

Hello Mines. Like the Witworth Zastavas, the Midlands never caught on here in the states and it's a shame. Both were very fine rifles and far superior to the era Winchester and Remingtons. I would guess the 19 tons would correspond to around 60,000 CUP which would indicate the max loads for the 270 would be a piece of cake for the action....which by the way, looks very strong indeed. Perhaps Gitano would know the exact conversion numbers. The Magazine should hold 4 shells and one in the chamber for a total of five rounds. It is a beauty. From time to time they pop up on Guns America and can be purchased for a song.

For BH....Did this Midland have a set screw in the bolt stop? I believe the PH 1000 had this feature??? I think the Mod 1000 and the Midland were very close to the same????? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi All,

I am sorry to say that I am not familar with the Midland and it's action although I have seen a few I never really took notice of them much. The Midland model does not appear in my 1973 catalogue and price list yet it was listed in 1984 as somewhere I have a flier of P-H's with it on from 1984 ( don't ask me where right now). So I wonder exactly when P-H started this Midland model and when they acquired the Midland name.

Midland was an old company whcih P-H acquired, I believe Midland were more into the shotgun side than rifles originally and the Midland Gun Company was a bread and butter maker making working guns for working people out of Birmingham. The local gun club's shop had a Midland on the rack last year but as I have not been over there this year due to the membership being £140 ($280 US) for the year and more than I could really afford I left the club in January when memberships came up for renewal.

Now as for proofing well the Rritish use the long Ton and not the metric Ton which the US uses. There are 2240lbs in a ton or 20 Cwt (Hunredweight, 1CWT is 112lbs)

1 Stone =14lbs
8 Stone = 1Cwt (hundredweight)
1 Cwt =112lbs
20 Cwt = 1Ton
1 Ton =2240lbs

1 Tonne =2000lbs = 1 Metric Ton

Oh and 1 gallon = 8 pints = 4.54 litres. I pint = 20 fl oz.

I think I have mentioned that the Proof house has altered it's proof of 7.62 Nato from 19 Tons to 20 Tons per square inch due to those idiot handloaders from the long range NRA target shootign crowd who were regularlly over loading the 7.62x51 to keep the 155 grain bullet supersonic at 1200 yards and it doing so they broke and blew up several Enfield No 4 actions with the result the action is now banned for converted rifles in New Zealand. So in NZ a L42 sniper rifle is banned due to soem idiots who refused to follow same loadign practices and keep to the design pressures of a cartridge.

Now the NRA in England is trying to force all owners of No4 conversion to 7.62x51 to subject ther rifles to the dangers of re-proofing at excessive, more than normal, proof pressures. despite the fact that untill these "so called experts" overlaoded the cartridges and actions the converted Lee Enfield had been used for scores of year in 7.62x51 guise with no problems. If they wanted to push the envalope they should have used stiffer/stronger action like the P-14 which was designed fro a hgigh pressure cartridge namely the .276 Enfield experimental from 1913.

The Enfield was designed to solely handle the .303 cartridge and has prooved to be very reliable when so treated, but I digress :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Mines1

Thanks fellas
I am very conservative in the reload dept so don't reckon I will ever reach close to max breech pressure. I have been using ADI AR2209 powder but can't recall grains (it's in the reload book). I am going to see if I can track down the original owner of my rifle to get some more info, I think he still lives here in Alice Springs.
Catch you later.

j4570

You can "preview" part of the Gibbs Rifle Co. Section of the Blue Book of gun values here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eWFt_wO2eK8C&pg=PA4&dq=blue+book+inc&sig=lgea_8Ihc3HZ-oAvbrVntq-SYkc#PRA3-PA751,M1

It talks a little about the Midland.  But I'll have to find my Blue Book and look in it and see what it says.  

You'll probably need high speed internet.

JW

sakorick

Here is a picture of a Parker Hale 1000 with the set screw on the bolt stop with a 03 bolt. I have never seen one in this configuration. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi Sakorick,

As I said I don't know where I have put the 84 flier from P-H which had the Midland rifle on it as it showed a photo of the Bolt. Now the P-H 1000 what what I can see in the 73 catalogue show a mauser 98 action however the writing on the model 1000 page says it's an Improved 98 action. What the improvements are perhaps you will be able to see what the improvements are.
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Hi Guys,
There is a Parker Hale 1200P Presentation Model 30-06 up for auction at

http://www.gunsstore.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82748970

Regards,
Mat

Tags: