New Toy

Started by Paul Hoskins, June 27, 2010, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Been looking for something better than my Gamo 220 pellet rifle but the cost of what I would like would leave me ...uh....financially embarassed. I looked at the Ruger "Air Hawk" & it best suited my appetite without bankrupting me. I still don't like the weight & length but it has a feature I like. After cocking & loading it, I can break it again, hang onto the barrel, put the safety off & pull the trigger which de-cocks the animal. This is the only "reasonably" priced pellet rifle I've found with this feature. My old Feinwerkbau was like this but was a much more expensive & accurate rifle. I didn't like the scope that came with it & put the cheapie BSA pellet rifle scope on it that has an adjustable objective lens fo eliminate parallax. It is a 2-7 power variable & seems to work fairly well. I shot a few birds with it & this morning as it was just getting daylight, I saw a coon walking from the chicken lot to the bird feeder in the back yard. For some reason I picked up the pellet rifle instead of the 22 Rem. bolt gun I keep handy for such things. I slid the patio door back a crack & put the crosshairs in the coon's left ear at 10 yards. When I fired the coon went backwards & kicked itself to it's feet & ran into the garden. A few hours slater I walked to the egarden & found the coon dead as a door nail. .....I was very pleased with the results. .....Paul H

JaDub

Paul, nice addition to the family. What caliber? My .22 gammo will pretty much take down any varmit that makes the mistake of `hunting` in my back yard up to 60 ft or so. That said I do use heavy field points that do carry further than the .177. I`m envious of that nice stock! Schweeeet!

P.S.   I got squirrels sleep`n in my backyard .

Paul Hoskins

JaDub, thanks for the flowers. The Ruger is a 17 cal. I would prefer a 22 but can't seem to find them locally at reasonable prices. .....The stock may look good but it's still a beech stock. The Ruger pellet rifles are made in China. That sucks but they're well finished. The finish is easy to scratch too. ......Paul H

JaDub

Just for future reference..........  

Air Gun Depot in Salt Lake City is a great source of guns and ammo.  They always seem to have everything and their knowledge of the airgun world is terrific.  I buy all my airguns &  supplies from them.  Their prices are simply the best as well.     866 477 4867

Tags: