17 hmr henry

Started by farmboy, March 23, 2016, 09:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Well I went to my local gun store and the owner told me that Henry's Canadian warranty depot had called and they had my rifle fixed anyhow there was some reason that it may get delayed shipping but I still should have it by the end of the month! I can hardly believe it. But wow I got American style service in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I would really like to hear what they had/have to say about the damage and repair! Sounds like Henry's advertisements about standing behind their products isn't marketing bullwash. Great to hear. Whadyuh gonna do with that Stevens now?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Well what I heard yesterday was they got the stuck case out of the chamber and polished the chamber. And that it was better than new. And that it was a double charged shell. They wanted to know how bad the powder burns were on my face.

farmboy

Not really sure what to do with 2 17 hmr rifles. First I have to make sure the Henry still shoots as good as it did it should but you never know. Both of them seems to shoot very well it is always hard for me to sell a gun that shoots small groups. That being said I might just have both of them in the collection. Not sure though.

gitano

I had forgotten that there were the remnants of a case still in the chamber. If they're sending it back, it must have passed some kind of 'safety check'. I'm with you hoping it still shoots straight!

Nothing wrong with having two rifles chambered for the same round, especially when you use them a lot. This same circumstance of one 'broke' could happen again.

Paul

PS - AND... when I come to visit and shoot gophers and pigeons I won't have to bring a rifle. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

When they said they polished the chamber the question I thought is why? Which got me worried that they nicked it getting the case out of it. Who knows I will see what it looks like when it comes back. See how it groups I guess. I wonder if I should through out all the ammo I have with the lot number of the box I was using when the gun went bad? They had to have changed pieces in the action of the gun as well hopefully they will include a list of what they did on the work order. And yes it should have been safety checked still going to feel a bit funny shooting it for the first time again.

gitano

I'm such a cheap son-of-a-gun I'd be loathe to throw out all that ammo, BUT, I can tell you that I would ABSOLUTELY weigh every single one of them before I shot any more from that box!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I read that lil gun powder was developed for the 17 hmr and that they load 5.5 to 5.7 grains of it in the 17 hmr I thought I might see how much an empty case holds.

gitano

It seems to me that an ammunition manufacturer would be wise to use a powder that COULD NOT be "double charged" without an overflow. But 'they' never call me up and ask, "Hey Paul, what do you think about this?"

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

What info do you need to run a quick load look up on 17 hmr? Case capacity I would guess how would I do that? And bullet weight and powder weight. Wondered if we could see what kind of powder might work.

gitano

That depends on how close you want to be.

Case capacity is most important, but chamber length (bolt face to lands), is fairly critical as well.

Case capacity is best measured with water. Pull a bullet. Dump powder (measure weight!). Set empty case on scale and tare the scale. Fill with water until LEVEL with the mouth. Note weight.

In a small rimfire case such as an HMR, using powder instead of water is 'iffy'. Small changes in the bulk density of the ACTUAL powder relative to the NOMINAL bulk density value that QuickLOAD (QL) has could be significant.

I don't know how you can measure chamber length in a rimfire without casting the chamber.

Finally, QL is not designed for rimfire calculations. It has been used for that in some "experimental" modes. Provided we knew what the powder was AND the muzzle velocity that powder produced, we could "make it work". Not knowing the powder type, but knowing the charge weights AND the muzzle velocities, we might be able to narrow the powder type down to a workable few.

Why? Are you considering pulling bullets and using your own powder charges? I'm not very experienced with QL and rimfires. You MIGHT find someone on RimFire Central that is.

If you are simply looking for a "safe" load, I think we could do that given the weight of the powder in a cartridge and the MV. We would need at least 10 samples. From that we could likely come up with a charge that you could be certain would be safe EVERY time.

If you want to proceed with this, we should probably talk on the phone.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: