Finding New "The Load" for .17 Remington

Started by gitano, March 03, 2020, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

On a hunch went looking in the junk inbox - bingo!

You should now have the article.

Marcus

gitano

Thanks, Msrcus! Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'll get to it tonight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I thought the labradar was only good to around 3900fps?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

branxhunter

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;154767I thought the labradar was only good to around 3900fps?

I misremembered - it was a Steinert Superchrono rather than a Labradar. No idea of what the specs are. The article describes the testing which included comparison against a Chrony.

Marcus

branxhunter

[ATTACH]15958[/ATTACH]

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I don't have a smooth bore barrel blank in .17 caliber  but I do have a 22 caliber smooth bore barrel I ordered a few years ago before my  eyes started failing. It's actually just a barrel blank that hasn't been rifled. The bore is around .217-.218 inches. I was gonna build a smooth bore 22-250 AI on a Ruger #1 action just to see how fast I could get a 22 caliber bullet to move without the rifling. If you want to try it, I'll send you the barrel for shipping cost. I no longer have the interest to do it  myself. I would still like to know though. If you don't have a chambering reamer, I'll loan you one. I think I have a 220 Swift reamer too. For just testing, an extractor isn't necessary. Just poke the cases out with a  cleaning rod.  .......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: branxhunter;154769[ATTACH]15958[/ATTACH]
Was not labradar then, thanks.
I vaguely recalled that the labradar had problems with fast stuff when I originally looked at it!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

I always liked it 4895. Have you tried any of that?

gitano

I haven't yet, farmboy. It's been 'on the list' though. I'm in a bit of a quiescent period for another month or so. The rifle range I like so much closes in the winter, and doesn't open until April. Until I can get some shooting - for group - in, I won't be doing any more reloading for this cartridge.

So I read the article, and went looking for the acoustic chronograph. "They" quit making it, apparently. I wonder why. 5k is impressive, and even moreso that the bullets hit the target! I'll be seeing what I can get out of those 15.5-grainers. Nevertheless, I think I'd like to find a good 25-grain bullet and load. 4k+ muzzle velocity scratches my itch for a hunting load. Particularly since I don't have much to hunt up here with that cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

gitano

No. Fully 12+ hours of sun above the horizon. I think we're gaining at least 5 minutes a day.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Nice. I find the short days depressing. Glad you have a bunch of sunlight again! ☀️

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;154788Nice. I find the short days depressing. Glad you have a bunch of sunlight again! ☀️

Yah!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: