Sun, rabbits and a Sako .222

Started by branxhunter, May 23, 2015, 03:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

It's been wet and snotty, but the weather broke today and it was a beautiful still sunny day. The dogs were also out of food, so a walk down in the stones with the .222 was a perfect way to spend the late afternoon. An hour and a half later I had three rabbits from four shots and the hounds are happy.

[ATTACH]13969[/ATTACH]

Marcus

gitano

Beautiful picture!

How the mixomatosis? I assume no issue for these bunnies as they became dog food, but in general, is it in decline?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

branxhunter

Quote from: gitano;139457Beautiful picture!

How the mixomatosis? I assume no issue for these bunnies as they became dog food, but in general, is it in decline?

Paul

Paul, myxo is still around, but I haven't seen an affected rabbit for a while. It tends to be a summer thing. The rabbit numbers tends to be hit more by calicivirus which was imported to Australia for use in a rabbit control program:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_haemorrhagic_disease

When I was getting into shooting in the late 80's/early 90's we could walk through paddocks and be kicking rabbits out of tussocks and piles of logs all afternoon. I remember walking over a ridge and seeing a valley of tussocks below literally crawling with rabbits. After calicivirus went through we don't see rabbit numbers like that anymore down this way.

Even at that beach block I took you down to for a shot has very few rabbits left anymore.

Marcus

gitano

That's sad to hear, Marcus.

I'm unfamiliar with calicivirus. First rabbits. Then foxes to 'control' the rabbits. Then virus'. Dang!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Aaaah well, probably a good thing for the environment and for farmers. Just not so good for hunters and their hungry dogs.

Marcus

sakorick

Beautiful rifle and perfect head shots. I had a heavy barrel Sako .222 but I stupidly traded it for a lousy 101 field gun. What's the flat part on top of your scope?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

I am betting the flat spot is for mounting a light just a guess though.

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;139486I am betting the flat spot is for mounting a light just a guess though.
That'd be my guess. Weaver-type 'auxiliary' mount.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Yep, for mounting a light. I have two LED torches from Solarforce; an M6 which gives a shootable range at night of around 60-70m, and an M9 which gives a shootable range of around 200-220m at night. With the M9 I have shot a couple of foxes at 150-200m with the .22-250.

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: