Africa hunting 2004 - post mortem

Started by Springbuck, November 03, 2004, 05:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springbuck

Our hunting season for local hunters came to an end in August.  For us in the international hunting game, it is still on-going as most concessions do enjoy year-long hunting status.  I have thought it to be sensible just to capture my views on the past season and as the purpose of this forum is to encourage constructive views hereby declare the debate on the Africa hunts open!

The first topic of discussion is the relative glut in the market in certain species.  In the Western Cape, Karoo and Northern Cape Provinces there is still an over-supply of stock game (Springbuck, Blesbuck, Black Springbuck(not to sure if I should classify it as stock!).  This has resulted in game prices remaining fairly stable on the species.  In the western cape there has been a sharp increase in prices for Bontebok and Grey Rheebuck.  The latter are popular with trophy hunters as we have managed a few RW this year.  Eland and Kudu prices also have remained stable.  

The local hunters have benefitted from the prices and as meat hunters they have paid fair prices for the game.  Foreign hunters have not had the same joy as our currency (the Rand) has strengthened against the US$.  Generally speaking, I would state that hunts have become a bit more exspensive for foreign hunters as game owners adjsuted their prices against the weaker dollar as well as made only limited number of trophy animals available.

As mentioned, this is only an opening view and as time allow, I will try to get a few more thoughts on the forum.

Springbuck

Skip

Springbuck

Been waiting further insite from you. Hope that you have had a prosperous season.

Springbuck

I will provide more reviews as time allow.  I believe that the Africa forum, unlike the majority of the forums, will always be an question and answer page.  Debate in this forum need to be stimulated by questions raised outside our continent.  Media images and television reports always feature the choas of Africa, but this is not always correct.  Our hunting industry (Namibia, South Africa, Botswana Zambia and Tanzania) is well regulated and provides a certain feel to it.  West Africa hunting is a division on its own and unless people can parle franciase, you will have problems to discuss issues relating to hunting in West Africa.

Again I repeat the offer to fire away with "African" questions and I will see what I can do in order to stimulate discussion

Springbuck

Noyb72

Sprinbuck

Hi
Haven't had the pleasure of talking in a thread with you, but I hear you are quite knowledgable about all things African.

I am married to a lovely SA import. She was raised on the Cape and in Durban. We are planning a second trip home for her now that her American imigration is wrapped up. Probably late August timeframe.

We will be staying on the Cape at a cousins beach house, and I would like to get in some hunting. I have been told that it would be possible to not use the services of a PH if I hunt with family and I was wondring if you could shed some light on that. I am inteested in plains game and what C Africa has called Bushveld hunting (please don't ask me to pronounce that word, all I do is make my kids laugh!!) As for rifles, I have contacted Sabi, and am going to have them put together a rifle in .338 Sabi as a graduation present for my son. Any advise on anything would fall on welcome ears, or eyes in this case. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Springbuck

I hope the four years of academic sacrifice in African economic and development constraints might have increased my credibility as someone with a bit of Africa in him.  Just joking, only a pleasure to help.  Yes, you may hunt with family as they in all essence will circumvent the itinary planning, permit application etc. service that a PH would have provided to you.  In terms of accompanying you on the hunt, you will need the services of a PH, but as a large number of game owners are PH's this is an easy option and should not be viewed as a constraint.  Outfitters may export trophies and again land owners in a number of cases are both PH's and outfitters.  It might sound a bit cumbersome and over dramatic in terms of paperwork,, but the industry does need the guidelines to regulate itself.  Your South African family would not need to go through the same exercise as they only need approval from the landowner to hunt on his land.

Hunting in the bushveld (pronounced Bush (as in your Number 1 chief) and felt ) in August is a good call as the rains are still a month or two away and the vegetation should be on the lower side.  The climate is agreeable and you should generally have a good time.  Good call on the .338 by Sabi.  A powerful rifle with a wide application ratio, o how we envy the rich Yankees!  The 30-06 is the more popular of the bushveld calibers as you would need the relative slower speed and more stable flight path.  You could however use a lighter grainage and simulate the similar results with the 338.

Hope the info is worth it

Springbuck

Noyb72

Springbuck

Any time welcome.  Always keep in mind that there is a vast collection of information out there, but unfortunately also a lot of misinformation.  Check and re-check the references.  Make sure you are not taken for a ride!  I have found it very useful to keep a dairy of things that bother me during the hunt in order not to repeat the same mistakes. When planning your hunt do the same and should you have experienced a bad service write to you SA Embassy/Consulate and complain.  It is worth it, as we need to ensure that fly-by-night operators are not active.

Springbuck

Tags: