BSA Monarch 280 AI... one to consider keeping?

Started by Brithunter, January 17, 2016, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Amongst my rifle collection is this unfinished project that started out as a 1st Pattern Monarch in 270 Winchester that had been well used. Bore was fairly worn and the blacking almost all worn off the barrel. I picked it up cheap many moons back as a representive of the model in my little collection. Some years later was offered a much better little used 1st Pattern Monarch for reasonable money so bought it that left what to do with this one?

After a lot of deliberation the idea evolved to make a modern equivilent of a 280 Ross performance wise which is why the Ackley version of the 280 Remington was chosen

Originally my idea was to use a slim stock off a Majestic Featherweight to replicate the Ross style:-

This is the state of the rifle now. The stock is not much good due to a previous owner of the 270 Majestic that is belongs to butchering it and sanding off the chequering panels from the forestock leavng it too thin and flimsy not to mention wrecking the bedding :Banghead: . I think it may be possible to still get a new original BSA stock in either style from Knibbs however that is not exactly a cheap option.

The barrel is from a late BSA CF2 and they have a much larger breech area than the Majestic or Monarchs have and this looks more in keeping with the M10 Ross rifles. Seeing as how everything has changed now have been thinking of restoring the Monarch's original stock and fitting it instead:-

Clearer photo of a Monarch stock................ and yes on the Project Monarch the barrel is shorter as had been cut down before i acquired it.

The stock is of heavier style and will require the barrel channel to be opened up to take the heavier barrel and the larger breech area as mentioned before the Majestic and Monarch barrels were more swamped over the breech:-

as the fad was for lighter rifles then even though then many shooters then complained of the sharp recoil light rifles gave.

So it needs finishing off with a good stock fitted. The foresight soldered onto the barrel or the muzzle drilled and tapped depending on which foresight ramp is used and a sporting aperture sight fitting. The action is drilled and tapped on the LHS for such a sight. If I can my desire is to stalk deer using the irons at some point. As for the sights we have a choice:-

Front .................

Original BSA Monarch ramp soldered into place a bit further from the muzle due to the thread and allow for a muzzle can moderator to be used.

BSA foresight off a .22 Supersport Five.

Williams ramped fores tight off a Parker-Hale

Tikka ramped foresight off the Pre T3 Tikka.

Rear sight .................

Lyman 57 SME

Redfield as shown here:-

Parker-Hale 6EH

I do have a William Guide barrel mounted rear sight as fitted to the CF2 rifles and teh matching Tikka rear sight for the Tikka foresight.

So as they say decisions ............................ decisions!

Observations, suggestions, and even just opinions appreciated.

Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Not much to say except the usual, BH: You have some very nice rifles! I hope you are able to get this project finished and use the rifle for some deer stalking. That would be a great end to a long project!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Thank you Gitano ............................ I will see what can be arranged access wise to fit the stock to the rifle. Once it's fitted removing it and bringing the stock home to strip and refinish should not be a problem as after all it's a piece of timber and not regulated even if the Plods did not undrstand that last time as they seized all my spare stocks in the raid. Even the broken ones I had for the walnut for other projects not gun related.

Warmer weather wold help with the refinishing of course to get the finish to dry/harden off. Am thinking Birchwood Cassy spray on finish for this one? Had done hand rubbed English oiled finishes in the past.

The stalking bit well that will require the granting of a new FAC and even if I am successful it seems that this will take most part of a year now as the Licensing people are so super effcient even renewals are taking up to 9 months. No private firm could survive the way they work! Peerhaps it's time to fill in the forms and put the application in. Oh yes they have also whacked up the prices claiming it would make things better for the shooters.................................... of course they lied as even at it's worse they never took ths long. Their idea of improvements do not seem to match any one elses!

Will discuss this with those at the gunclub and get their views on how to go about this in the best way.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: