Previous topic - Next topic

which cal.

78 wby
1 (25%)
60 wby
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 3

buffalo bob

very short poll.  i have decided on a new weatherby MKV.  i have narrowed it down to 2 wby calibers.  i want something not everyone has but useable and dependable.  my choices are 378WBY or 460WBY.  i already have a 416 rigby so dont want another one of that size.  have .223, 25-06, .30-06, 30-378 wby, and 50-90 sharps.  so my gaps are .375 and .458 bullet diameter

klallen

.378 .  

no idea why.  either'd knock the snot out of anything that walks.  guess thinking locally, i'd feel less silly hunting elk with a .378 then a .460.  lol.

have fun filling that gap.

k

buffalo bob

i forgot to list my 338 win mag. i hunted elk 2 yr ago with the 416 rigby. also have taken 2 deer with it.  mostly want one to just shoot.  like the sharps. very poor hunting rifle.  over 100 yds and you need exact range to judge the rainbow curve to shoot. just enjoy loading and shooting

Alboy

I just like real big ole bullets!!

If you can take the abuse of throwing them fast so much the better.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I'll second Al's choice. The bigger the better.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

klallen

buffalo bob

i am kind of leaning that way also.  460 wby can be loaded with 350gr bullet to 2950fps, then for really big deer you can use a 500gr at 2600fps.  i would be curious what could be done with hard cast bullets.  

klallen

Quote from: buffalo bob;114893i forgot to list my 338 win mag. i hunted elk 2 yr ago with the 416 rigby. also have taken 2 deer with it. mostly want one to just shoot

lol.  i went varminting once with my 416remmag.  effective enough, but it was put away after a couple hits.  prairie dogs up here are big     ...     but not that big.  ;o)  .  no doubt a .460'd be effective on deer and elk.

get it and go.  i'm interested in a report on how that bugger feels from the bench.  lively, i'd imagine.

k

buffalo bob

at least it has a muzzle brake. my 416 doesnt. it is a real hoot to shoot. 10 shots is about a good day for it. i really love the big bores though. not to hunt that much, but to shoot and admire. and the weatherby i have was spot on accurate out of the box. also fodder for my gun safe to leave a little more for the grandkids.  my kids never got into hunting.  all can shoot but not as a passtime.

klallen

"jus because" is a perfect reason to buy any firearm.  at one time, the cz safari magnum was available in 500 jeffery and 505 gibbs.  might still be.  haven't check for a while.  the gibbs, especially, always seemed interesting to me, when the talk of big bore rifles came up.

Tags: