hales
0 (0%)
ushnell
8 (15.7%)
ther (please list)
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Rohann

Which brand of scope would you recommend? I know Leupold would probably come out as #1 but I need an affordable, rugged, dependable scope. Thoughts?

Nallapambu

What are you going to use it for and where?

Oregonhunter

Seems to me that there are a lot of Leupold models that will fit the bill as you described above.  I would go Leupold and never look back.

My 2 cents.

OH

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well in the Poll I had to vote other as I do rather seem to have collected a fair few Pecar Berlin Scopes, other than that I do like the Schmidt & Bender and the Khales. The Czech Meoptas are rather good as well.
Go Get them Floyd!

rockinbbar

Rohann,
The Leupold rifleman series is a great value. They are everything you described above...;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

sav17

I use Zeiss and Bushnell,I find the single magnification Zeiss an excellent choice.Been offered a weaver looks good ,well made,anybody got any info?
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Marlin917VS

Leupold all the way, but you can't beat Swift Premier scopes doller for doller.  Swifts premiers are as clear as the vxII's i've looked through, and they are a lot cheaper.  They also have a full lifetime warrenty, not only to the original owner.  If you have the money, go with leupold, if not, I would go with swift premier.  Also, the reason I'm saying premier is their normal scopes aren't nearly as good as their premier line which is great.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Charlie

Rohann,

Looks like you're right about Leupold.  That's what I have on all my hi-powered rifles.  Leupold scopes are rugged, contain very good optics, and are reasonably priced.  I have had good Weaver scopes in the past, and recently put an old V900 on my son-in-law's .270.
It, too, is a good scope.

I would stay away from anything cheaper if you are going to mount on a magnum rifle.  I have had very bad luck with Bushnell and Tasco optics; the optics are just not clear enough for me.  Once had a lenses fall out of a Bushnell 3x12 on my 7mm Rem Mag while trying to sight on a deer.

Charlie

Rohann

Hi all, thanks for your input. It seems that Leupold is coming out on top, though I still find their scopes to be rather pricy.

I will be using this scope for hunting, target shooting, and possibly for some longer-range shooting. Once again, I need a very rugged, dependable scope that I will be able to afford.
The scope will be mounted upon a Savage .308. I am trying to set up a rifle that has the accuracy of a LE rifle, but the dependability and ruggedness of a Military rifle. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Any recommendations on what i can change/add to my rifle that will accomplish this?

-Rohann

Lost Hunta

How's bout a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex? i think i'll get one for my H&R .308.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Daniel in Ak

What? Nobody has mentioned Nikon at all.Rohann,you might want to consider what your mainly going to hunt and in what type of terrain in order to decide what magnification will assist you for the better.
I move around alot and have to go with what I mentioned,and in doing so just before my move up here to Alaska I upgraded to a larger calibre rifle than I have ever used or shot because of what type of animals I was going to hunt,and in doing this I then had to decide on a scope.

Factors where large animals bears,moose and caribou.Then I had to see what type of country I'd mainly be in which turned out to be open tundra for long distance shooting if no cover was available.After a year of looking and seriously looking at Leupold or Zeiss,but the hunting is hard on equipment up here,more so than people know.So with that in mind thinking did I want to spend a few bucks and beat to death my equipment with who knows how many seasons I get out of it.

Then I came across the Nikon scopes at a local store and compared the glass to the other brands in the case's and was extremely impressed with the clarity and the relief it gave my eye,and ended up buying the 6.5x20 for my .338WM and as a second reason for the magnification choice was in the off season of the big game hunts I can swap the scope over to my 22-250 for varmints and or small game.

I did not see Nikon on your poll or in any of the reply's but try checking them out as another choice.Good Luck on your search.

Tool Dude

I've used Weaver, Redfield, Tasco and Leupold.  I've done a good bit of gazing through scopes in sporting goods stores as well.  My research, although not scientific lead me to Leupold and I have stuck with them since.  I like their optics and overall ease of use the best.  Besides that, they have a very good warranty and stand behind their stuff.  I know they are pricy, but I think they're worth it.
:)  Brian

Lost Hunta

I can't stand behind Burris or anybody yet cause all i got is old scopes. I had a Simmon's 3-9x4- but i pft,
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

Danial in Ak:

You said that you didn't want to spend all that money on something like the leupold if it is going to get beat up, but leupold will replace or fix anything that happens to the scope.  There are a lot of stories out there of people losing their rifle and finding it a year later with the rifle torn up, but their leupold is still clear to look through.  That just shows that they will hold up to alot, and even if they were to fail, leupold would replace it free of charge.  I heard somewhere (maybe on here) that a guy ran a leupold over with a truck and they replaced it for free.  That is some kind of a warrenty if you ask me.  I have nothing against nikon, I agree they are very clear and bright, but the little bit better clearness you might get in a nikon over a leupold won't make up for knowing that if something happens you the leupold, you can get it fixed for free.  That's just my opinion though.  Like I said, I like nikon and everything, its just....I like leupold better.  Later

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Daniel in Ak

True Marlin in what you said.Honestly I dont mind beating my equipment,thats what it's for.Heck I'll buy Zeiss or Swarovski and beat then as well,but I guess Im trying to give another brand that was not given that is a little less in money If they are worried about scratching or beating there equipment.

But I can say the absolut worse Ive ever done was fall over backwards and smaked my scope only to find a dent in it and this on opening morning of deer season.Azkiote took it from me and shot a rock 300 yards away with it and hit it, now thats a scope,and a scope I still have to this day.and thats a redfield 3x9 low/flat eye relief with the yardage in the reticle.Daniel

Lost Hunta

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=176013 what???? never heard of em' and there making sound like the Schmidt-Bender of Simmon's price lol. and they're like $450 avg MSRP
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Rohann

Thanks everyone for all the awesome advice. I'll keep looking around for deals and recommendations. Keep posting!

Thanks a bunch,
-Rohann

Rohann

Daniel: What model of Nikon would you recommend? Any info on their warranties/quality?

sprtsmn

I sent back a Leupold Vari-X III ($400) to get a Weaver Grand Slam (silver/black w/ black trim) 3x10x40 and I love it.  ($269 @ Cabela's even thought catalog says $319).  Write up in Field and Stream and other pubs are great and the scope looks awesome on my T/C Omega stainless/laminated/black trim.  Weaver sliver looks more like satinless for a better match while Leuplod silver looks like bright aluminum.  For muzzleloaders etc. I like that WGS is paralax free at 100 yards and not 150 like Leupold since I shoot and try loads at 100 yards.  Nicer focus adj. than Leupold.  Just as clear or to me more clear.  When I adjust Leuplod reticle is clear but not object and vise vera.  Weaver GS was clear on object and reticle AT THE SAME TIME.  Maybe it is my old 38 year old eyes.  Weaver Polar Caps are great scope covers too.  Just check it out like I did.  I drove to Cabela's WV just to look thru scopes for a few hours!  I do like my Leupold Vari-X I ($200) but not as musch as my Weaver Grand Slam.  It is my first Weaver so I can't tell you about product suppot yet... Leupold's is good I hear.
All this said my next rifle .325WSM is getting a Zeiss Conquest ($400) because I want 4" of eye relief.  Silver and black scope with 4" of eye relif so my eye doesn't turn silver/black/and blue!

Lost Hunta

ahhhhh yes Weaver Grand Slam. both American Rifleman and shooter did a review and both testings were 100%A+ results. Am. Rflmn used QR rings and even after the torture they put on the scope it remained zeroed.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

sav17

[I asked in a previous post about the weaver scopes,because I was offered one in my local gun shop, not sure on the model but it seemed the business,I think it was a 3x10x40looking through it off the rifle the optics seemed good and the build quality excellent.Iuse a single mag Zeiss Diatal Z[6x42] on my tikka .223 and that is excellent, pin sharp in most light conditions even low light,then again it should be says on the end of the box "assembled in america"In the UK we have a company producing a range of scopes called HAWKE they come in at the budget end of the market but work really well I have a model called the REFLEX in 3x9x40 it comes with a milldot reticule is well built and only cost 60gbp I also had one on my weihrauch 22 air rifle called the "nite eye" that came in 3x9x50 with illumunated milldot reticule, parralax adjustable and fast focus eye bell a good quality scope with all the bells and whistles for 129gbp dont know how it would fare on anything with a half decent recoil mind you. Another question I have a bushnell trophy that I use on my savage 17hmr great scope but what do you think about the bushnell elite range?Oh yes and can I get a cabelas catologue in the UK.I will be glad of any more info you can give me on weaver scopes preferably single magnification 6 or 8x if they do them;)
Thanks for your help..........Richie

Lost Hunta

say i want to sell my Weaver v7-II. I'm pretty sure $130 would be good since another on gunbroker is going for $150 and another for $20 on ebay(after 5 bids even) but i think the guy didn't know what he really had there or didn't know value.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Shotgunhemi

You left out Weaver Rohan. Ive got a simmons whitetail classic 4-12x44 on my 06 but am not satisfied with it. I will be getting a Weaver grandslam soon.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Rohann

Sorry, I couldn't think of any more scope brands at the time; my mind was blank.
Comments on Weaver scopes?
I also found a Springfield Arms scope (I think it was military) and that looked pretty good. Any comments on this brand?

Thanks,
-Rohann

Daniel in Ak

sorry Rohann,Ive been busy.I dont even remember what my warrenty is on my Nikon.Dont know about recommending a certain Nikon or not,mine is the 6.5x20x44mm.All I can say dude is check out all the brand in your area and compare the glass and warrenties.

We have those Springfield Armory's also here,glass looks nice,but pricy up here.I dont know anyone that uses one.BUt they do look like nice scopes.Daniel

Lost Hunta

Rohann apperently you havnt seen my intel on Weaver's? i've done it twice somewhere on this site but can't find it so i'll just put this. Two brutal tests were performed by On Target and American Riflman TV and in both Weaver's grand slam came through just as i was before.

Them there's Bushnell 4200/3200 scopes of which i'll be getting
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

I  picked up a Nikon Pro-staff 3-9x40 for my H7r and while i havn't used it yet i must say it's solid, clear and prtty
"Cari" my M4 carbine

m gardner

I believe simpler is better and use fixed power scopes made by burris. Many younger folks can't believe that long range accurate shooting can be done with a low power scope but my first scope was a 3 power weaver and worked vey nicely. It's more about learning how to shoot than having the latest gimmicks. That's how the russian and north vietnamese snipers did so well with 2.5 power scopes on Moisin-Nangant rifles.

Lost Hunta

i'm well aware of that. if there had been a nice fixed at the sale i woulda picked it instead
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Rohann

Yes that's true, low power scopes can be used for long range, though I want to buy a variable power-scope as this isn't only going to be a hunting/"sniper" rifle.

-Rohann

sakorick

I was strictly a leupold man until a year and a half ago when one of the neighbors put a 4x14 Burris fullfield II, balistic plex reticle on his 270. We started monkeying around with it and some amazing things happened between 200 and 400 yards.  I have built my own range here on the farm and the 400 yard target is at the exact elevation of the shooting deck. Both Ed and I started carving the heart out of the 300 and 400 yard targets. the BP reticle takes all the guess work out of how high to aim on long shots. At the same time, my sako 243 started acting up....long story later, we determined the vari x II had gone bad. Folks, I had to send that scope back twice for repair finally they got it repaired after replacing all the internal parts. That scope had been on that rifle for around 14 years and never been abused....if you believe in reincarnation, you would want to come back as one of my rifles!! I have the Burris on my 7x57, shot a doe a 375 yards this past season right in the 10 ring. I have switched out 4 of the Leupolds and now have 3 of them left, have 4 Burris and a 6-16 sightron on my 220. I put a 3-9 fullfield II on my black powder rifle and the BP works perfect at 100, 150, and 200 yards. If you hunt where long shots can happen I urge you to try one of these scopes...they have great lenses, coating, functionality for paralax, a forever warranty, good eye relief and all the features you need at a very reasonable price. And if you own a big magnum you can take that 500 yard shot with total confidence. Practise a bit, and you will be a happy camper. sorry for the diatribe:) Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Rohann

Thanks for the advice. I am starting to consider Burris more...
Comments on Redfield scopes? According to "Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson, the USMC put them on their sniper rifles (Win M70 and Rem M700) when they first initiated a sniper regiment (during Vietnam).

Thanks,
-Rohann

sakorick

The old redfields were made in El Paso....I had a 3x9 on my '06 and it was a good scope. Redfield went out of business some time ago. I don't know anything about the new scopes that are made in China I believe.

Rohann

Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure if I would buy one of their new scopes, though if I can find an older one than I will take a look at it.

-Rohann

Bones

Zeiss Conquest is my go-to scope.

mudturtle

I have a Bushnell 4200 on my Savage 22-250.  It has never let me down and gives me a crystal clear picture when varmint hunting, but this is always during the day.  I have a Bushnell Trophy on .50cal muzzeloader.  It is a 3-9x40 and has delivered now for 3 years running in low light conditions.  One set of scopes I don't see mentioned are the BSA scopes.  While these are definantly not a price scope, I have been rather impressed with the 2 I have on 22's.  A Hunting buddy had to replace a scope mid hunt and the only thing available was a BSA Varmint/Target model.  That was 2 years ago and he says he won't change it.  It's on a 220 swift that he uses praire dog hunting and it works great for 400-500 yard shots.  I am thinking of putting one on my 204.  Leupold makes a great scope, but I feel that you can get equal quality and service for less of a price.  Besides, my wife already wants to beat me every time I buy a new gun.

outdoors-lover-and-hunter

i have heard good things about leupold

Ultrahunter

I do have a testimonial for leupold.  My buddy and I had a little accident last spring and to make a long story short my .243 with a 3x9 Vari X II  spent a week at the bottom of Brownlee resevior on the snake river before we found it with the help of a scuba diving buddy/hero.  Any way that scope was still in perfect condition not a drop of water inside of it.  Made a believer out of me, I will shoot leupold forever.

ghostrider_tx

Howdy Rohann

I prefer Leupold. One brand not mentioned was Shepherd scopes. I know of one guy that mounted one on his .22 rimfire,but have not heard how he liked it yet. Does anyone have any knowledge of how these scopes perform??     Jack
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

2ndtimer

Quote from: Lost HuntaHow's bout a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex? i think i'll get one for my H&R .308.
I have two of them, and I think for the money, they are tough to beat.   I take some flak from Leupold loving friends, but when you can get a matte finish 3x9 with Ballistiplex reticle for less than $200US and they throw in a pair of Burris Landmark rubber covered 8x32 binoculars, how can you pass it up?

sav17

Hi ALL

Recently bought a bushnell 3200 elite 3x9x50 very nice,i am really impressed with the rainguard coating works really well;)

buckshot roberts

I have two old scopes, one is a 4x32 simmmons on a winchesrer model 70, and the other is a K 2.5 weaver in a echo side mount on a savage model 99R, I missed a big buck last year with the model 70, so I've had both laser sighted for this fall, that old K 2.5 weaver  has done very good at takin, coyotes this summer, these scopes were on the guns when I got them, but if I were to by one it would be a lyman alaskan, read so much on them, are they still being made.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

rockinbbar

Buckshot,

The Lyman Alaskan was a vintage scope often used on the Savage 99 rifle.
As far as I know, there are no further production on them.

One thing I noted about your post above is that you had the rifles laser sighted for this hunting season....
Each to his own, but you know that any type of sighting, wheter it is laser or standard bore sighting is just to MAYBE get you on the paper at 100 yards.

You need to shoot the rifle & fine tune the sights at the range you are zeroing for. Use consistant ammo, as it will impact the target differently with different bullet weights, & sometimes different lot numbers of the same brand of ammo.

I spend a lot of time sighting in before & during hunting season. You have to KNOW where that bullet will hit at different ranges as well.

If you want a really good scope that has the tough, clear, zero holding ability of the Lymon, you might want to check into the Leupold scope lines.
They make 4 or 6 power scopes that are very resonably priced.

Hope this helps some.........

Rockin'

sakorick

I am old and opinionated, having said that, the Burris Fullfield II and the Nikon Buckmasters are on par with Leupold and are 200 bucks cheaper.....and the Zeiss Conquest is superior for alot less. At one time, Leupold was king.....not anymore. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

As Rockin has pointed out using a laser sighter or a collimeter will put you normally on a paper target but not always and should not be relied upon to hunt with. Iuse the collimeter to set up a new scope or one which has been swapped around, however I have never found it to be spot on. It just saves ammo by getting you with 12" normally at 100 yards, then it can adjusted normally to get it right.

A laser points in a straight line unlike the flight of a bullet which is curved, you need to shoot to properly sight in. Oh the Lyman whilst very good in it's day is far outshone by modern scopes in several ways, I like classic scopes and in fact have a couple of them, don't have the Lyman but have an early Meopta 3x meant for the Brno ZG47 rifle and a Hensodlt 4x and I am picking up what I am told is a No32 scope soon but I will not know for sure until I go over to get it. However modern scopes of similar premium quality leave them way behind. Good luck with your hunting.
Go Get them Floyd!

buckshot roberts

:) Hey, Guys thanks for all the info, I can eat, till I get full on this page, I have the savage 99 sighted in at a 175 yds, using 180gr ammo ,same as I will be when hunting, Now if i done it correctly, It should go 2,in high at 50 yds 2 1/2 in high at 100, 1 1/2 in high at 150, on the money at 175, and 2 in low at 200, Now I had a friend laser sight it for me, and  if it dont shot like I had it, (He is still my friend,) ;) , The win-model 86 in 45/70 ,using  405gr ammo will fall  5,in at 125 yd's, It's just my luck that the I did not sight my win-70 in 30-06 using 220gr, I should have stayed, with the 180,gr, that I had been using, but I didn't  and missed a big buck, last year, It's just my luck that the lyman alaskan is no longer made, how about the Zeiss, Is it still around, I my look on ebay
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

Hi buckshot roberts,

Now if you are serious about the old time look scopes, well then whilst searching places like e-bay. Keep an eye out for the Ajax fixed power scopes like 2 1/2, 3x & 4x as a lot of these have straigh tubes at the front with a normal larger eye piece at the rear. They are German mostly from the 20's-30's and of excellent quality. I have beed trying to prize one from my friend but he won't let it go despite never using it:rolleyes: .

My Hensodlt Duraltyn scope came from e-bay back in 2003, the rifle I wanted to put it on, well the deal never happened and so it's in the draw waiting until I decide on a suitable rifle for it. It's a rail mounted scope so mounts may have to be made. Now for ole time looks yet modern construction and perfomance then you might like to look at this one :-

http://www.pecar-berlin.de/WAS__NOCH__/SPECIALS/specials.html

It's a 4x21 Pecar scope made to look right on the No4T Enfield rifle. You might need to sit down at the price though:eek:  Pecar Berlin is not cheap by any means but they do make one hell of a scope. I have 3 Pecars which I brought used.
Go Get them Floyd!

rockinbbar

Rick,

We all have our postions on scopes and pickup trucks...:)

What you said about the comparison of Nikon & Leupold scopes isn't apples to apples...

The Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 and the Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 are the same cost at 2 places I know of...$199.99 at Walmart & Cabelas.

I was needing a scope for my Savage 99 in .243 & compared them side by side....The optics and paralax as well as the sharpness of the reticle in the Leupold was much better.....Being an owner of several Leupolds already, I knew them to hold zero excellently.

I picked the Leupold of course....It did not disappoint me at all. It workss just as well as the other Leupolds I have.

As far as Nikon goes, I have some definate opinions on them as well, concerning my $10,000.00 survey instrument that quit working while in warranty.
The first time I sent it to be fixed, it wasn't fixed at all. They said they didn't know what was wrong with it, & sent it back.
It continued to not work, so I sent it back to them to fix...(By this time the 2 year warranty had expired.....I got it back & it finally works now after I spent about $3000.00 more on it. Nikon said they would not honor the warranty, even though they could not fix it within the warranty period when I sent it to them.

Now, that being said, a Leupold has a full lifetime warranty. That instills value in any product to me. Never mind the bad taste I get in my mouth when I think about the way Nikon responded to someone that bought their product in faith to earn a living with.

Nikon------Made in Japan

Leupold-----Made in the USA  (My choice)

As far as the other scopes in Burris & Zeiss, I admit no experience with Zeiss.
Had a Burris that shot well once, but the adjustment ring for the variable power was extremely hard to turn.

I just stick with what works for me.....Like my Dodge Truck :D

Might not be for everyone, but works for me.

I shoot the lower end Leupold scopes that are very affordable, so I have a hard time believing that the others are that much cheaper.....If I get my Leupold for $199.99 and the Nikon is $200.00 cheaper, then that means they would have to pay me a penny to take one of their scopes....;) (Which I would not....because I like the company to stand behind their product)

I'm not bashing what your product, Rick.
Just stating the experience I have had, and what works for me.

Rockin'

buckshot roberts

:cool: I like for companys to stand behind their products also, you dont see that much anymore even with some u.s.a made stuff,  leupolds are very good scopes, I looked on ebay this morn, and zeiss scopes are going for $500-$1,599.00, and it's the same with some leupolds, saw a lyman alaskan for $192.00, no ajaxs, I was looking at some of the hunt'n and shoot'n books I have and not one of them has a copyright before 1951," all hand me downs", I with y'all on," works for me ",  I have a 59 gmc 3/4 step side truck, 17.5 tires, she get 27,mpg :D, I like the old and out dated.

gunman

Rohann,
     have you looked at the tasco super sniper series? From what ive heard, they are veeeeerrry durable and rugged, good optics, excelent adjustments and they only cost $299 for the rear paralax adjustment and $399 for the side focus.(http://www.riflescopes.com)
gunman
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms ..." Richard Henry Lee.

Rohann

Hi all,
I haven't posted here in quite a while, but:
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to start a new project recently; I'm going to build a M1891/30 Mosin Nagant Sniper rifle. It is not going to be authentic or even "repro", as they are much too expensive. Here is what I plan on doing to an 1891/30:
-Install a turned down bolt body
-Refinish stock
-Put on some kind of scope mount and rings
-Put on a low-magnification, small objective lense scope (from 4x-6x, objective lense no bigger than 40mm)
I haven't started yet, but I am looking at ideas for a scope. I would go with a Leupold, except they are very pricey and so are Swarovski's, Burris's, Zeiss's, Khales's, etc.
My main requirements are: Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof, warranted, and the technical features I listed above. I'm not looking for anything fancy; just for something durable and practical.

Oh by the way, I think the site is http://www.swfa.com/

-Rohann

Lost Hunta

A weaver K scope or low power v series.

I heard only good things about the SS scopes. Are they really made by Tasco? TASCO!!! seriously, i heard that but i found it hard to belive. No offense to Tasco but did they just decide to go all out or something?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

I didn't know tasco made them.  I've read a lot of really good reviews about them also.

Rod

I have owned a Leupold forever and whenever there has been a problem they have come through fast and efficiently, never a problem. As for there scopes I love the rainguard and how much light it lets in on the bad weather days, early morning,and evenings.

sakorick

Quote from: RodI have owned a Leupold forever and whenever there has been a problem they have come through fast and efficiently, never a problem. As for there scopes I love the rainguard and how much light it lets in on the bad weather days, early morning,and evenings.

Hello Rod and welcome to the forum. I used to be a Leupold man forever....I'm 61 years old....but there is a new sheriff in town. To wit: Zeiss. Lighter, better, cheaper, same warranty.....no comparison. Try one, you'll like it. Regards, Rick.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

'*** German' for me... Schmidt & Bender and for a budget scope -  Meopta
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Brithunter

Actually for such a project i would to to eastern Europe for a scope there are several that would fit the bill including some new Russian ones that would have been used is just such an application. Perhaps something like this:-

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/po-3-5x17-w-duplex-reticle-super-compact-pu-type-weapon-rifle-scope.html

Course you still have to source a mount. There were a load of new PU scopes and mount on sale in the US... I wonder where they all went?
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

i prefer using zos scopes, get them on evilbay - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=zos+scope&_sacat=See-All-Categories

theyre a little known brand (in the uk anyway) and very cheap. i'm not going into a sales pitch but they make the scopes for the chinese army and also make them for other manufacturers who then rebrand them and stick the price up 3 or 4 times.

not sure how theyll work on a .308 though; ive had 6 of them, mounted on .22lr, .17hmr, .223 and a 12ga and i've never had a problem except when i once dropped my marlin hmr and the eye piece bent upwards - then again the stock also split in two so it was understandable lol

just my thoughts
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Tags: