Finnish capture Mosin Nagant

Started by sakorick, June 01, 2018, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

One of the major weapons systems for Finland during the Continuation War were captured Soviet M91/38 Mosin Nagants. Thousands of them were stripped for parts or rebuilt as M39's. But a few cherries were put straight into action in 1941 as the M39 rifles went into production. I found a nice one on Gun Boards for $300 and it is overall an excellent rifle. The action, barrel and bolt all match, the metal is at least 98% and the bore looks good. The boxed SA on the L side of the barrel is the Finnish ownership stamp. I'll provide a range report soon.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Another nice find, Rick. I don't know much about these guns but have owned a few. I think I only have one or two at the moment. Military arms don't appeal to me very much unless I'm gonna re barrel & re stock it.  .......Paul H

gitano

I like to see the $300 price tag. :D That means all of the ones I bought 15 years ago for $100 to $120 have 'appreciated'. It's time to start liquidating those assets.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the range report. These Finnish rifles and the Swiss K-31s are the most precise-shooting milsurp rifles I have ever shot. "Right out of the box", meaning with standard milsurp ammo and no fancy sights. Both these models - in the rifles I own - shoot as well as MOST, modern, over-the-counter hunting arms available today. To MY eye, the MN is a skank, (and the k-31 isn't much better), but MAN! the Finn M-39 and the k-31 shoot STRAIGHT!

Here's how well I think of the k-31: I took it on a fly-in (meaning no "back-up") caribou hunt.

That's a k-31 laying across that caribou. True, I put an aftermarket 'scope (2x) on it, but only to aid my aging eyes. I wouldn't have bothered if the rifle didn't shoot straight to start with. The Finnish M-39 is just as good a shooter. I didn't take one of them because I think they're too ugly to be seen in the woods HUNTING with.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: