canine seizures

Started by M. R. Byrd, September 24, 2006, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. R. Byrd

I would be interesting in hearing from any of you that have experienced this in your dogs. My son's eight year old black lab has just developed them. I had recently remarked that of the three dogs we have at the moment of the same age, that this dog is by far the youngest acting dog and now this happens. Any insights would be appreciated.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

English

Maynard, I've been around several dogs that had them but never owned one.  A couple of them lived to be what I consider "old dogs".  Some have required meds to help them and others just needed and adjustment in diet or exercise.  My dad's Golden Retriever had them and the problem was over heating.  As long as he got in the pond to cool off on regular intervals he was fine.  I know of more than one dog that takes phenobarbitol to control them.  

Don't guess this is much insite to help you but just my experiences.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

M. R. Byrd

Mike,
Thanks. I am just trying to get a feel for what others have experienced. This dog is so full of life and is our first granddog and is very special to us. He does come to stay with us on occasion.

Thanks,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

rockinbbar

I have seen older dogs have brief siesures...

I guy I knew had a red heeler that would run out to chase my pick-up.
I noticed that in the 100 yd sprint to get to the road, the dog would just fall down & start flailing...

I went & talked to my neighbor about it, & he said he thought I had equipped my truck with an "ultra sound high frequency device" that would render his dog unable to chase my truck.

I told him to get serious, if the chasing of my truck bothered me THAT bad, I'd pop him with the buggy whip out the window.

The only conclusion we could draw was that the dog was having a siesure while running.
He would get up after a couple of minutes & go on his way.

We need a vet here, huh?;)

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

M. R. Byrd

Barry,
I had my son's weim have a seizure this summer at the ranch. I was not very hot that day he she had only ran maybe a quarter of a mile and went down. It only lasted a few moments and she has not had one since. There is a pretty good thread over on the Shooting Sportsman forum and I am getting some information there from both DVM's and MD's. This is one of those experiences that we have not had to deal with and I am justing trying to get a feel of what we can expect, both good and bad.

Thanks,

Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Tags: