The Garden

Started by Jamie.270, April 23, 2022, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

is pretty much in, with just the various peppers yet to plant.
3 kinds of 'maters, Beefsteak, Black Krim and Sweet100 cherry tomatoes.
The broccoli and cauliflower (Brassicas) have been in for almost 3 weeks, and the cool wet spring weather has them growing slow but strong.  No brussel sprouts this year though.
The radishes are up already, and seem to be doing well

Two kinds of cukes this year, Lemon cukes for salads and a gerkin type my neighbor wants for pickling.  Not a lot mind you, just a few plants.

I may try contaner taters, just for fun.  I do like Yukon Gold new potatoes.  They make spectacular home fries, and they're expensive in the stores.

The berry patch is going strong, but I'm going to abandon the thought of growing Boysenberries.  No more Cane berries.  They're just too much #*^@ing work. Blue, Straw, Black and Raspberries will have to suffice.
Most of last year's blueberry crop was lost to an early heat wave, so a few qts of fresh blueberries will be a welcome treat.

I'm going to wait for fall to plant my turnips and rutabegas and carrots.  I've lost too many to pinworms trying to grow them here in the spring.  We'll see if they get the radishes this year.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Congratulations!

I did potatoes in buckets a couple of years back. It wasn't all that the YouTuber's said, but it was definitely worth the try. I expect you to be pleased with the results.

I haven't heard of planting root vegetable in the fall to combat root worm. I'll have to try that. I planted radishes one year and 90% of them were ruined.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;156470Congratulations!

I did potatoes in buckets a couple of years back. It wasn't all that the YouTuber's said, but it was definitely worth the try. I expect you to be pleased with the results.

I haven't heard of planting root vegetable in the fall to combat root worm. I'll have to try that. I planted radishes one year and 90% of them were ruined.

Paul
I probably ought to cover the raised beds with fine screen/netting to stop the moths that lay the eggs that become the worms, but the other times I've tried it they still get in somehow, so I gave up.
I hate the idea of pesticides, and I haven't found one that's 100% safe anyway.
We'll see on this year's radish crop.
For whatever reason, I find radishes really appealing in the spring.  Not so much in the fall.
In the fall I really get a hankerin' for roasted root veggies, so we'll see if I can get some edible winter turnips and neeps this year.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: