Best inexpensive rifle

Started by buckman, January 22, 2005, 06:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckman

Does anyone have any thoughts on a good inexpensive rifle?  What about the new Remington 710?  I am looking for a new rifle and looking at a 7mm of some sort.  Thanks!!

Marlin917VS

http://savagearms.com/116fss.htm

I have a savage (not that model) in 308 and I love it.  Great gun, and VERY accurate.  I don't know anything about the remington 710.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

buckman

Marlin917VS,
Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the rifle.  Take care,

Buckman

Rohann

Yes, go with a Savage. They are more than worth the money you pay for them.
Don't EVER buy a Remington 710. Terrible rifle.

Regards,
-Rohann

Marlin917VS

Why do you think the Remington 710 is a terrible rifle?  I've held one and it felt fine, but never shot one.  Do you have any experience with them?  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Rohann

Actually I haven't shot one, so I can't really say it's a bad rifle. But the stock is terrible, and the rifle is just a bottom-of-the-line rifle. It's good for what it was made for: disposable hunting rifle.

-Rohann

NUMBERFARMER

Buckman, I don't know anything about the Remington 710, but the savage 110 is a good buy for the money in my opinion.  I have picked them up on Gunbroker.com for under $250.00 with scope and sling.  The one I just took delivery on was $235.  It was a 7mm Rem mag.  That particular caliber seems to be taking it on the chin as far as resale goes, at least on the Gunbroker sight.  The savages tend to shoot very well.  I converted the 7mm into a 416 Taylor and hope that the new rifles shoots as well as the original.

Gmoney

Definately Savage and then H&R..
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Lost Hunta

ummm on the 710 my friends father bought one and within a box of ammo the bolt litteraly split as i recall and before that the bolt failed. This thing is a humiliation to Remington and Bushnell who puts the scope on it. but a inexpensive rifle eh. Well i'd say the best decent accuracy rifle would accually be a Yugoslav M48 mauser, all the great machining and features of the 98k without the cost can be had for under $100, or 150-$275 for a Yugo capture 98k which were better taken care of than Russian capture. everybody makes new 7.92x57 ammo and surplus is as east to find as snow is in Antartica:)  for practice and fun. less than $5 for 70 rounds on stipper clips. and 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser be sure to not mistake for 7mm Mauser) packs a punch a deer will fear. scope options are well availiable too, scout or traditonal style. VERY HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS GUN, just make sure you got on plenty of padding trust me on that.:rolleyes:

Well for modern i'd put cash on H&R which i did today YAY yea just finished paying off a H&R Ultra Hunter .308 for $238, but yea they are a fine company just like Marlin which i have too.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

M. R. Byrd

Buckman,

Glad to have you on the forum. Be sure to get your rifle in a cartridge for elk. Remember you and I need to have our first elk hunt together this fall and you need your own rifle. I repeat, you need your own rifle. I remember our first deer hunt together, I had to loan you my .243 and you go shoot the biggest mulie.

The attached picture was taken in December 1993 when Buckman was sixteen. It was our first deer hunt together. He was playing varsity high school basketball and was only able to hunt the last day of rifle season. He took his 6 x 7  Kansas mulie with my Winchester Model 70 XTR Winchester .243. He crawled up on the big buck and shot him in his bed. My deer is a smaller 5 x5 mulie. Both were mounted and grace the wall of our home.

You better get an elk rifle!

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Lost Hunta

I still say a surplus Mauser would serve him MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY.................................................. years of reliable service.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

buckman

Well if I can have the luck that I had using my dad's rifle elk hunting I think that I will just borrow his 300 win mag and shoot a big bull!  

Thanks for everyone's advice on rifles.  I appreciate it!

Buckman.

Lost Hunta

alright, i still say get a Mauser 98k or M48 and you'll be one happy camper. Like the Rem.700 the mauser has plenty of options.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Shotgunhemi

Have a look at the Tikka T3. Quality rifle, and the barrels are made by Sako. Ive got the light model in .30.06 and its great. Accurate, good looking, well made and cheap (down here).

Chris
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Lost Hunta

T3 Synthetic almost bought one but while inexpensive still outta my range. $500-$600
"Cari" my M4 carbine

sav17

Hi,
I have a tikka T3 synthetic in.223rem good rifle but as for inexpensive,OK its cheaper than a sako and virtually the same quality,but mine cost me 520 pounds could have had a CZ 200 pounds cheaper and they are excellent rifles, looking at buying a CZ american at the moment in 308 for 360 pounds.;)
Keep safe...........Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Rohann

I would still recommend a Savage.
I am actually starting to change my mind about buying a Savage model 10FP though, and going with a Remington 700 VS, but for hunting and basic shooting purposes, Savage is the way to go.

-Rohann

sav17

Quote from: RohannI would still recommend a Savage.
I am actually starting to change my mind about buying a Savage model 10FP though, and going with a Remington 700 VS, but for hunting and basic shooting purposes, Savage is the way to go.

-Rohann
Hi Rohann,
I  have a savage 17hmr,the stainless one with the grey laminated stock excellent rifle,but in the UK it cost me 460 pounds not as expensive as an anschutz in the same calibre but not cheap none the less,I think that works out around around 600 dollars,but I saw the identical rifle on an american sales site, discounted to 280 dollars,need to come stateside to buy my guns:rolleyes: .The remington rifles sell for less than the tikka,s but slightly more than the CZ and then by the time you pay our silly scope prices it can work out very expensive for what you might class as a budget outfit.My tikka t3 lite synthetic fitted with a zeiss diatal z 6x42 cost me just over 900 pounds,worth every penny though:D
Keep safe ......Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Tags: