Parker Hale - .303 Conversions

Started by hobit, October 23, 2015, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobit

I just picked up a Parker Hale Custom .303 conversion and would like to get some info on it, after doing some research I've found out a few things and one of them was that brithunter knows his PH's.  I just joined today so will read up on posting pics and get to it asap.

What I know so far is that it's a No4 mk1* Savage built, from the SN I'm guessing early 1943, I'll be counting the grooves tonight but more than 2.  It's been tapped for the A29 scope mount, which I'm currently not so patiently waiting for in the mail.  I believe I've found the PH serial number on the bolt head, in crossed markers are 47C, I have not however checked the bottom of the barrel.

It's amazing the amount of work they put into these, the trigger assembly has been worked to smooth out the pull, head space is not at all an issue, it's a very accurate shooter, the bluing is amazing and the wood work is Weatherby like.  Needless to I'm smitten :grin:

So any input would be appreciated on dating the conversion to sporter and how durable / reliable the side scope mount is as I do plan to hunt with it.

Thanks in advance.

sakorick

Hello Hobit and welcome to the Forum. I know lots about PH's and No4 MK1's but zero about those conversions. It sounds like a beauty and pictures would be nice. I'm sure the scope mount is good to go. Early correct 43 SN's are very desirable in collector grade. I would guess it's a 2 groove barrel, however, it could have been changed out in during the sporterization process.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

hobit

Thank you, good to be on board.

It actually appears to have 5 groves though is marked as expected with tonnage stamp etc also the broad arrow.  Really clean bore so maybe an unissued barrel?

branxhunter

G'day Hobit, welcome aboard. If you want to find out about Parker Hales you certainly have come to the right place - Brithunter and Sakorick have posted more info in this forum on PHs than most of us will ever know. The .303 conversions haven't had as much airtime here but I would be surprised if these two gurus can't help you out.

Where a outs are you located? Every couple of months a PH SMLE .303 conversion comes up here in Australia on the "used guns" website. A friend of mine picked up one chambered in .308w.

Marcus

Marcus

sakorick

For certain, if it has anything but a 2 groove barrel, then it's been changed. I don't see much difference in the 2, 4 or 5 groove barrels so far as accuracy is concerned, If it's a 5 groove, plan on shooting about 5 boxes or more ammo to break the barrel in......as much as 10!

hobit

hobit

So reading more on the PH thread here I've found out the gun dates to 1968 (TB) on left side of barrel.

sakorick

Quote from: hobit;141502So reading more on the PH thread here I've found out the gun dates to 1968 (TB) on left side of barrel.

That means it was rebarreled. Sure would like to see some pictures!

farmboy

Dad's old one was bought in 63. It was a Parker hale conversion yours sounds like a better conversion. Dad's the cut the barrel down to 23 inches and cut a new dovetail and installed a new front sight the rear sight was the battle sight that could be setup to several thousand yards. What ever that was it was beyond what the rifle was effective. The rear stock had a three inch extention added to it not sure how small of man the factory stock was made for. The fire stock was chopped down and shaped a bit more like a sporting stock. It was drilled and taped for the side mount scope mount. From what I have seen and heard you should have no problem with the scope  mounts. Every farm around here had one never heard of anyone having a problem with a scope mount. The only problems I have heard about came from heavy or overloaded reloads . I saw a Purdy conversion once it had one of the nicest pieces of wood on a rifle I have ever seen.

Brithunter

Hi All,

From the description you have a No4 Custom these had new sporting wood with rose wood tips and the receiver machined for the custom A29 mount. The date is no surprise as one could order these right up into the late 1970's and beyond. n fact they are listed and pictured in the #76/77 catalogue on pager 25.

The MOD were still releasing No4 Lee Enfields from stores onto the trade market back then.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

For those of us on this side of The Pond, "MOD" is Ministry of Defense; counterpart to our DoD - Department of Defense.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: