1st Time

Started by RatherBHuntin, November 25, 2004, 07:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Well actually it was the 3rd time.  Shot my Bobcat (.50 cal percussion cap) yesterday for the first time, which was only the third time I've shot a muzzleloader, having shot my brothers flintlock once and a friends flintlock once.  It was a blast, pun intended.  I only shot about 8 times I think, then the ramrod cracked while I was cleaning out the bore.  It seems I have two rough spots in the barrel.  One all the way down at the bottom for about an inch and another about 1/3 of the way down for an inch or two.  Groups were about 4-6" @ 50 yards with 80 grains of FFFG Goex and Hornady patched round balls.  I also shot a couple of loads with 80 gr or Pyrodex RS which shot about 1-2 inches higher, right on the money vertically.  Was also using TC prelubed .015 patches.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

RumRunner

Good going Glenn! Too bad about the ramrod.  I think you may be happier with one of the metal rods from Wally World....combined with one of the little "T" handles, they do seem to be very practical.
The little "Bobcat" is a very practical, inexpensive way to get into muzzleloading. Also, IMO the balance of the little rifle makes it a very good carry rifle for wood walking.

You can spned ten times the money and not get near the rifle as that little Bobcat. I can say this with some experience as I recently recieved an old fashioned "whupping" from one of these little fellers on the range. I was shooting a relatively expensive Penn. Hunter and my neighbor the Bobcat.
The ten shot match was for Pizza & Beer and I ended up buying.  After the "match" I shot a few shots with the little gun....BTW; he used 80grs FFg....The gun shot, and balanced quite well. I was impressed!

I feel confident you can "improve" on the 4-5" groups you were getting at 50yds. As far as that "tight spot".....you can either lap it by hand, or just keep shooting and it may go away on it's own after 100 or so rounds. I prefer lapping.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;

The previous owner may not have been real careful in cleaning it, may have a rust spot or two.
Some good bore cleaner and then a bronze brush may take care of the problem.
I use boiling water and make sure the barrel is too hot to hold barehanded when I quit pumping the patch through.
After everything else is done, I give the bore and lock a quick squirt of wd40, wipe the outside and make one more pass with a clean patch.
I have my best accuracy with Lee REAL 250gr conical either liquid alox or LBT soft blue, the ball was not as accurate.
80gr equivalent 777[ 55gr actual weight]is most accurate for my rifle and chronographs at 1500 fps.
Fun , isn't it, especially for the price.
Don :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

RatherBHuntin

Took it out again today, and got better groups than before, probably paying attention to how I load it.  

The best group I got was about 1.5" from the bench with 60 gr of 2F Goex and a PRB. The first three were that close anyways, then the next two were flyers. One was wide, my fault I am sure, the next was high. This one concerned me as I was sure the ball was al the way down, but after loading the next I am afraid that it was short about 1/2 an inch or that there was more powder in the bore. I think that there was some unburnt powder in the bottom of the breech that caused this.

The next load was 70 gr with PRB. I had cleaned the bore before shooting this one. Again the first 3 were about 3.5" and then the next one was high, and required quite abit of pressure to get the ball seated to the same depth as the previous ones.

The last was 110 gr of FFG and a 385 gr HBHP Hornady conical. It kicked like a mule and lost alot of accuracy. This may have been due to the fact that after the first round, I flinched everytime I even som much as looked at the trigger. It measures about 7" by 1". I'll post the pics later.

I've got my range rod marked to show an empty bore, and another to show PRB and 70gr of powder, but as each different load and type of bullet can cause at least an inch difference, I dont think I want to put any more marks on it. Or do I?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;

If I recall correctly, you bought the bobcat used, did you get the factory manual?
I have the factory manual, With a 300gr hb bullet, the max of FFG is 90gr, should give about 1500fps at muzzle, 1200 at 100 yds. + 1.5" at 25yd, +2.5" at 50 yd and on at 100yd, -5"  at 125yd.
PB, 177gr, 90gr FFG, 1750fps at muzzle , 975fps at 100yd, 0" at 25yd +2" at 50 yd, 0" at 100yd and  -5"at 125yd.
The heaviest load CVA shows is 90gr FFG or equivalent volume of Pyrodex or 777.
I use 777 and have the best accuracy at about 75-80 gr equiv.[55-60 gr real weight of 777].
The first thing I did was buy a slip on recoil pad, that rifle with the hollow plastic stock is too light for very heavy loads, you can take off the butt plate and put some shot in foam or epoxy to bring up the weight and reduce the recoil.
I do like it, much fun for the money.
The tight spot near the rear of the barrel may be from the dovetail slot for the rear sight, could get rid of it by firelaping if it is really tight, might get the front one out too, sounds as though it is too far back to be from the front sight dovetail, may just need a good brushing.
Don         :D

RatherBHuntin

There is another table that lists the max for RBs and conicals at 100, though I could swear I saw the max listed at 120 somewhere, though that may have been what the previous owner had quoted me or something I read on the web. Have to keep looking through it. Either way I think I exceeded it.  I also saw a reference to backing off the powder charge when working up loads after the hammer gets blown back.  Ever heard of this?  Mine seems like it would take an awful lot to push it back.  Will defiantely keep it under 100 from now on.

I filled the stock full of sand, and it helped significantly with balance and recoil. The 60 gr loads had negligible recoil, my 12 year old son shot that one and liked it. It is alot of fun for the money, specially considering that I am still working off of the batch of ammo that came with it. I am nearly out of Goex, but still have a little more than 2 pounds of Pyrodex RS, approx 100 RBs, 12 Buffalo Slugs, patches, bore butter, black powder solvents 1# of Goex 4F and 1# of Pyrodex P that I have no idea what to do with, but they were part of the deal.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;

The FFFFG is for priming flintlocks or for very small bore rifles or pistols, I would expect it to give high pressures if used at more than about 1/2 FFG loads, the Pyrodex P is equivalent to FFFG , basically for revolvers and .36 or smaller rifles, should work in the bobcat at the 60% of FFG levels.
When you run low on projectiles, consider the Lee REAL molds, I have 4, 2 .45 and 2 .50 and just lube with liquid alox, tumble lubed and dried overnight, load easily, no cleaning between shots , at least , up to 20 for me.
That kikem load you did was about equal to a hopped up .45-70, no wonder you developed a flinch with that light rifle.
Keep on keeping on, Don          :D

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;
Go to search, CVA Rifles, on the home page click on FAQ, scroll down quite a ways, there is a place to down load the instruction/warranty manual for the rifles.
Don;D

RatherBHuntin

Don,
 I found that reference, it was in the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook.  In the load data was given up to 120 gr.  How long will Goex and Pyrodex last?  I would rather work up a good load with a powder I will use in the future, and stick with it.  No need to waste good powder though, and I would like to use it.  Guess I need to buy a flintlock to use that 4F and a Ruger Old Army for the P.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;

The Pyrodex RS and the 777 seem to be here for a while, I have bought Pyrodex about 1984, 777 has been around for a while, it is my choice, less odor, easier to clean up and very gtood results.
I have a chronograph and have shot my loads over it,so I am not WAGing on the velocities of my loads.
If you wish me to duplicate a load in RS or 777 with 250 gr bullet, just say so.
Don

drinksgin (deceased)

Glenn;
Did you get a bead soldered in the front blade?
Of course my eyes are 30 years older than yours, but without the bead, I just could not keep from vertical stringing.
Don

Tags: