Demonstration of Power

Started by rockinbbar, May 10, 2005, 06:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Last night about 9:30, the dogs were raising hob in the yard....
So, I grabbed the light & stepped out on the deck to see all 3 dogs around a big porcupine running through the yard!
I was able to call them off before they got "stuck"...But then it ran towards the barn & horse stalls... I quickly procured my Colt .45 ACP.
The porcupine had just cleared the bottom of the fence by the barn when the first round of Starfire 240 gr. hollow point hit him, folowed by a couple of "make sure" rounds....
Each time I fired I was "showered" by a huge number of quills that were knocked off the porcupine by the force of the bullet striking...
I mean it shed quills over a 12 foot radius, and about 8' high.

I know they don't "throw" their quills, but that is good reason for the misconception...;)

I will dispatch a porcupine if it is close to the dogs or horses. If you ever had to pull  quills out of a dog or horse, you know why...

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

fish

well, goodness gracious. i'll bet that was a sight! good shootin'.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Save the hide...save the hide...save the hide....makes a good head dress...or you can work out a trade with Gitano.....he likes that sort of stuff!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Kanibal

LOL Nice shootin Tex.  I suppose the hide is probably full of holes by now?  I understand your wanting to get him before he got your animals.  When I was living in the Blue Mountains my German Shepard got into a poky pine and I had to pull out about eight or nine quills from his mouth.  They were really in there.  Just the other day my sister, who is a veteranary assistant, had to help pull quills from a lab and the quills had messed up his face so much he couldnt eat and there was nothing they could do so they put him to sleep.  Porcupines can be very lethal to animals.  So I say good work to ya Rockinbbar.
-Richard

teddy12b

I say congrats on your varmit as well!  I've never ever seen one in the wild so I can only imagine.  I have a colt 45 loaded with El dorado starfire as well so I do know how much fun that is.  That's such great ammo!

RatherBHuntin

LOL, he says he put the light on him, what he means is that he turned the sun on.  How far away were you when you let him have it? Close enough to get showered as well?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

That is pretty amazing......I sure bet your little dog wanted in the action:)......lol....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

rockinbbar

Greg,
Bear never knew what he missed...He just heard the gun off a few times..;)

Ol' John....SURE! I skin that rascal, if you'll come hold it...:D
He's sittin' in a feed sack now. Maybe I ought to put him up on E-Bay??

Richard,

Yep, hit 3 times solid, & through-and-through at that. He'd got a few holes now. I shoulda taken a pic of that "quill spray" area....Hundreds of them still on the ground where I caught him....in a 12 ft circle. :)

And yes, that light DOES kinda light up the area, Glenn....(You knew exactly what light I grabbed)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: